OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Update on Linksys WRT1900AC support

The content of this topic has been archived between 16 Sep 2014 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

ilukeberry wrote:
mmilburn wrote:

So I've been looking at our current wifi driver and the driver I want to move us to (mwl8k).  I feel like I'm getting a pretty good handle on the structure of things.  Unfortunately, I haven't gotten a good handle on markdown in the wiki.  Does anyone have pointers on tweaking font size and such?  The firmware command mapping table is especially bad, and some of the code snippets are kind of a pain to read because you have to scroll horizontally.

https://github.com/Chadster766/McWRT/wi … ll-88W8864

Thanks for doing this.. this will have huge impact! If you will be able to do this.. that means not only OpenWRT can use this but also DD-WRT and so on... keep up the good work man!

We're not where we need to be yet, but we're heading in the right direction.  OperatorOverload and I have been working hard on getting this hardware to use mwl8k.   

In the meantime, any contribution you guys could make to  help Chadster, Jack, and the other devs with debugging, support, and documentation of the current release would be much appreciated.

[   10.003859] cfg80211: Calling CRDA to update world regulatory domain
[   10.010842] cfg80211: World regulatory domain updated:
[   10.016014] cfg80211:  DFS Master region: unset
[   10.020389] cfg80211:   (start_freq - end_freq @ bandwidth), (max_antenna_gain, max_eirp), (dfs_cac_time)
[   10.030175] cfg80211:   (2402000 KHz - 2472000 KHz @ 40000 KHz), (N/A, 2000 mBm), (N/A)
[   10.038207] cfg80211:   (2457000 KHz - 2482000 KHz @ 40000 KHz), (N/A, 2000 mBm), (N/A)
[   10.046238] cfg80211:   (2474000 KHz - 2494000 KHz @ 20000 KHz), (N/A, 2000 mBm), (N/A)
[   10.054269] cfg80211:   (5170000 KHz - 5250000 KHz @ 160000 KHz), (N/A, 2000 mBm), (N/A)
[   10.062382] cfg80211:   (5250000 KHz - 5330000 KHz @ 160000 KHz), (N/A, 2000 mBm), (0 s)
[   10.070500] cfg80211:   (5490000 KHz - 5730000 KHz @ 160000 KHz), (N/A, 2000 mBm), (0 s)
[   10.078617] cfg80211:   (5735000 KHz - 5835000 KHz @ 80000 KHz), (N/A, 2000 mBm), (N/A)
[   10.086648] cfg80211:   (57240000 KHz - 63720000 KHz @ 2160000 KHz), (N/A, 0 mBm), (N/A)
[   10.102635] Marvell TOPDOG(R) 802.11 Wireless Network Driver version 0.13

[   10.438943] ieee80211 phy0: 88w8864 v7, 00259c131568, AP firmware 7.2.5.2
[   10.709537] ieee80211 phy1: 88w8864 v7, 00259c131569, AP firmware 7.2.5.2

root@cerenkov:/# iwinfo
wlan0     ESSID: "OpenWrt"
          Access Point: 00:25:9C:13:15:68
          Mode: Master  Channel: 11 (2.462 GHz)
          Tx-Power: 20 dBm  Link Quality: unknown/70
          Signal: unknown  Noise: unknown
          Bit Rate: unknown
          Encryption: none
          Type: nl80211  HW Mode(s): 802.11bg
          Hardware: 11AB:2A55 11AB:0000 [Generic MAC80211]
          TX power offset: unknown
          Frequency offset: unknown
          Supports VAPs: yes  PHY name: phy0

wlan1     ESSID: unknown
          Access Point: 00:00:00:00:00:00
          Mode: Client  Channel: unknown (unknown)
          Tx-Power: 0 dBm  Link Quality: unknown/70
          Signal: unknown  Noise: unknown
          Bit Rate: unknown
          Encryption: unknown
          Type: nl80211  HW Mode(s): 802.11bg
          Hardware: 11AB:2A55 11AB:0000 [Generic MAC80211]
          TX power offset: unknown
          Frequency offset: unknown
          Supports VAPs: yes  PHY name: phy1
gufus wrote:
mmilburn wrote:
Chadster766 wrote:

Google "openwrt block country" and you will find scripts to download the country ip file and update the firewall rules.

Turning off password based authentication and using public key auth instead in ssh also adds further peace of mind.

http://wiki.openwrt.org/oldwiki/dropbea … ationhowto

Another tip is use a non-stander SSH port number.

First of all thanks for the tips,
I'm not using the router to finish the SSH tunnels, I'm using Bitvise SSH Server on a windows machine. At this moment I have the authentication rsa key with 4096 bits. But I can not disable(I don't know how) authentication for user / pass. There is always someone trying to get in with user root or admin ... my idea was to try to allow only networks in my country. easier than denying all others, but still think it's too complex for my current knowledge of scripting.
About the use of non-stander SSH port number, is a good tip, but in my work there is a limited port numbers that I can use.
From what I understand of the tips, the openwrt allows to have only public key auth, I think I'll try to finish the ssh tunnel on the router.

Chadster766 wrote:
fcs001fcs wrote:
Chadster766 wrote:

The main use for IGMP Proxy in our case is for IPTV and UPD Multicast. If you don't use those services than remove IGMP Proxy package using the Software Tab.

http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/udp_multicast

I removed IGMP Proxy as recommended and issue has cleared up. Thanks a lot.

I had a look at installed software and also uninstalled WifiDog since I only have a home network I thought this would be of no use to me. No problems with the removal as far as I can see.

Are there any other software packages a home network user can safely remove that would never be used and is just taking up space and processer time?

I believe the freeradius packages are leftover from mamba that can be safely removed.

Just for other novice OpenWRT users; I removed IGMP Proxy, WifiDog and FreeRadius as recommend by Chadster766 and all is working fine for my basic home LAN and Internet access. A lot less confusing entries in the Logs.

Hi,  I have flashed Attitude Adjustment 1.05 on my WRT1900AC and after some toying around with the /etc/config/network looks like I made a mistake and now I cannot get an IP from the router.

Is the second time it happens to me but the first time I managed to hard reset the router pressing the reset button and powering off three times (not completely sure, took me like an hour to manage it). This second time I just cannot reset the router, it seems impossible.

I've tried the three power offs, I have tried the 30/30/30, I have tried the keep the reset button pressed for 30 seconds then release and reboot and nothing... there is no way of getting an IP address.

Is there anything I am doing wrong?

Hobb wrote:

Hi,  I have flashed Attitude Adjustment 1.05 on my WRT1900AC and after some toying around with the /etc/config/network looks like I made a mistake and now I cannot get an IP from the router.

Is the second time it happens to me but the first time I managed to hard reset the router pressing the reset button and powering off three times (not completely sure, took me like an hour to manage it). This second time I just cannot reset the router, it seems impossible.

I've tried the three power offs, I have tried the 30/30/30, I have tried the keep the reset button pressed for 30 seconds then release and reboot and nothing... there is no way of getting an IP address.

Is there anything I am doing wrong?

If you didn't follow the policy of always flashing OpenWRT from the Linksys stock firmware then your alternate image is probably OpenWRT.

When you get the WRT1900AC to revert to the Alternate image the OpenWRT overlay is still active from the previous save of OpenWRT settings. If you had the Linksys stock firmware in the Alternate image the overlay settings wouldn't matter.

You will need to purchase a very low cost USB to TTL cable to recover the WRT1900AC. This will also give you the freedom to play around as much as you like.

I recommend the cable below:
http://www.adafruit.com/product/954

One more thing you can try is setting your computer IP Address to 192.168.200.2 and try to connect to the router's default IP Address 192.168.200.1

(Last edited by Chadster766 on 22 Oct 2014, 03:18)

Chadster766 wrote:

If you didn't follow the policy of always flashing OpenWRT from the Linksys stock firmware then your alternate image is probably OpenWRT.

When you get the WRT1900AC to revert to the Alternate image the OpenWRT overlay is still active from the previous save of OpenWRT settings. If you had the Linksys stock firmware in the Alternate image the overlay settings wouldn't matter.

You will need to purchase a very low cost USB to TTL cable to recover the WRT1900AC. This will also give you the freedom to play around as much as you like.

One more thing you can try is setting your computer IP Address to 192.168.200.2 and try to connect to the router's default IP Address 192.168.200.1

I actually flashed from the stock firmware not from a previous OpenWRT version, did I had to reflash to stock after the first time I managed to flush the OpenWRT settings?.

Is there not a way to flush all the settings and start again?, that's what I thought I did the first time, just don't seem able to replicate it.

Hobb wrote:
Chadster766 wrote:

I actually flashed from the stock firmware not from a previous OpenWRT version, did I had to reflash to stock after the first time I managed to flush the OpenWRT settings?.

Is there not a way to flush all the settings and start again?, that's what I thought I did the first time, just don't seem able to replicate it.

Some changes like deleting an interface can't be undone with the reset button.

You might be ok. From the sounds of it you still have the Linksys stock firmware in the alternate image because you only flashed OpenWRT once.

Try the below instructions in the Wiki:
https://github.com/Chadster766/McWRT/wi … s-firmware

Chadster766 wrote:

Some changes like deleting an interface can't be undone with the reset button.

You might be ok. From the sounds of it you still have the Linksys stock firmware in the alternate image because you only flashed OpenWRT once.

Try the below instructions in the Wiki:
https://github.com/Chadster766/McWRT/wi … s-firmware

Well, I probably configured wrongly a VLAN and added it to the bridge, that is what got me into this situation.

Been trying for hours without luck, I am giving up and ordering the cable, as I am not going to give up on the configuration I want to create at least that cable will make me feel a lot safer and save me time.

Thanks a lot for your help.

EDIT: Managed to regain access to my router!!, what did it was to let it power itself up completely then press the reset button until the power LED blinks faster (that was the key part I was doing wrong) for a few seconds then just let it go, let it reset and then configure manually the IP addresses of your ethernet (DHCP did not work for me). It reseted the OpenWRT settings and I can access it again smile

(Last edited by Hobb on 22 Oct 2014, 13:41)

I posted this before in the General Discussion because I thought it was not device specific but after reading the entire thread, and particularly about how the bridge has been made in the 1900AC, I am no longer sure.

Is about VLANs, been struggling with the following:

I have been trying to configure my router (Linksys WRT1900AC with Attitude Adjustment) to work with the VLAN of my FTTH provider while, at the same time, allowing the router provider by my ISP work as an analogue phone router (VoIP and the ISP refuses to provide the details).

The icing in the cake is that the ISP only uses one VLAN for both Data and VoIP, VID 1074, if it used two I think my life would have been like ten times easier...

So far I have managed to properly configure the wan interface (eth1) with the 1074 VID tagged, after which the router can handle the data connection and anything I plug into it through any of the interfaces (wifi, eth) works just fine.

Next step is the old router to use for the VoIP. I can barely modify any parameter in this router besides the bare basics (change IP, turn on or off the DHCP...). So I set up a switch in the eth0 interface and enable vlan4k (will provide detailed config below) and I tag one of the ports with the VID 1074 and plug a wire from that port to the WAN port of the other router. Then the other router grabs the IP through DHCP and sprouts to life making the analogue phones work. It is of note that the old router and the openWRT router are always on separate networks (192.168.1.0 and 192.168.2.0).

Now comes the problem... After I have made this, the remaining ports of the switch in my OpenWRT router no longer work and all my wired network stops being able to contact the router. If I add eth0 and eth0.1074 to the bridge then it just simply eats all the frames and the phone router stops working. If I add the ports either as tagged or untagged doesn't change the situation either.

What am I doing wrong?

This is the /etc/config/network I have been cooking:

config interface 'loopback'
        option ifname 'lo'
        option proto 'static'
        option ipaddr '127.0.0.1'
        option netmask '255.0.0.0'

config interface 'lan'
        option type 'bridge'
        option proto 'static'
        option netmask '255.255.255.0'
        option ip6assign '60'
        option _orig_ifname 'eth0 wdev0ap0 wdev1ap0'
        option _orig_bridge 'true'
        option ifname 'eth0.1074 wdev0ap0 wdev1ap0'
        option ipaddr '192.168.1.1'

config interface 'wan'
        option proto 'dhcp'
        option ipv6 '1'
        option _orig_ifname 'eth1'
        option _orig_bridge 'false'
        option type 'bridge'
        option ifname 'eth1.1074'

config globals 'globals'
        option ula_prefix 'fd57:7d78:cee6::/48'

config interface 'wan6'
        option proto 'dhcpv6'
        option ifname '@wan'

config switch 'eth0'
        option reset '1'
        option enable '1'
        option enable_vlan '1'
        option enable_vlan4k '1'

config switch_vlan
        option vlan '1'
        option vid '1074'
        option device 'eth0'
        option ports '1t 2t 3 4'

The connection is the following:

FTTH -> WRT1900AC WAN
WRT1900AC Port 3 -> WAN Technicolor TG784n v3 (Old Router)
WRT1900AC Port 1 -> PC Ethernet adapter
WRT1900AC Port 2 -> Router in bridge mode acting as a switch for the remaining devices.
WRT1900AC Wifi 5Ghz -> Several devices
WRT1900AC Wifi 2.4Ghz -> Even more devices

Neither port 1 or port 2 can contact 192.168.1.1 or beyond.
Wifi devices never stop working.

Any idea? is VLAN fully supported in McWRT?

Thanks a lot for your help and sorry for the long post.

@Hobb, thanks for this informative post smile

McWRT doesn't implement "swconfig" and relate switch driver (WIP) at this time. This will account for why you can't make the switch ports operate independently using standard OpenWRT notation.

Chadster766 wrote:

McWRT doesn't implement "swconfig" and relate switch driver (WIP) at this time. This will account for why you can't make the switch ports operate independently using standard OpenWRT notation.

Aaaahhh, okay, you just saved me countless sleepless nights trying to make it work wink

Btw, would the /proc/switch/ notation work or I should just wait? (I'm so eager to make this work big_smile)

Thanks a lot and keep up with the amazing work.

Hobb wrote:
Chadster766 wrote:

Aaaahhh, okay, you just saved me countless sleepless nights trying to make it work wink

Btw, would the /proc/switch/ notation work or I should just wait? (I'm so eager to make this work big_smile)

Thanks,

The only clue I have on low level port control is in "/sys/class/neta-switch".

Hey Peeps!

I've been lurking on here for since April. I super appreciate all the work you're doing on this project. I know it's hard work and you're doing this outside your day jobs. THANK YOU!!!  Unfortunately I don't think I have the skillset or the time to help with the development but I'd like to give a little monetary recognition to the folks working on the development of this project. I'm sure there are many other lurkers on this thread in the same position and are extremely thankful for all the work you're putting into making this work. 

Do you have a donation page setup that we can throw a little recognition money into as a thank you for all your hard work?

muffinantrees wrote:

Hey Peeps!

I've been lurking on here for since April. I super appreciate all the work you're doing on this project. I know it's hard work and you're doing this outside your day jobs. THANK YOU!!!  Unfortunately I don't think I have the skillset or the time to help with the development but I'd like to give a little monetary recognition to the folks working on the development of this project. I'm sure there are many other lurkers on this thread in the same position and are extremely thankful for all the work you're putting into making this work. 

Do you have a donation page setup that we can throw a little recognition money into as a thank you for all your hard work?

That's very nice smile

I will ask the other OpenWRT McWRT developers what their thoughts are on this.

Hobb wrote:
Chadster766 wrote:

I don't know the exact details, but I do know that Linksys compiled support for the 88e6171 (should be under drivers/net/dsa/...) and 802.1Q into the kernel in their firmware.  The chip we use: 88e6172, is almost exactly the same thing as the 88e6171.  You should be to set something up with that if you just can't wait.  I can't say when we'll be getting to building the swconfig compatible switch driver.  I do know that it looks like it will be easier to implement than the wifi driver.  It's in our docket, right after wifi.

(Last edited by mmilburn on 23 Oct 2014, 22:57)

I know you guys are working on it, I'm just curious if there's any target date for Barrier Breaker?

By the way,  thanks very much for all your hard work, there is a whole bunch of us that really appreciate your efforts.  You really need to figure out how we can donate $$ for your time.

I've read in some local computer magazine that V2 of this router is coming in December.

I've had to flash version 1.0.1 back. I could not get the "services" tab back. Even installing packages for upnp etc., I received the message that the root file was already up to date. Rebooting did not bring the "services" tab back. I even received a message once that there was a conflict and it filed the package somewhere else. I reverted back to 1.0.1, and no issues. My family was also complaining that some sites wouldn’t load and the Internet was slower. Again, 1.0.1 solved all these issues. Working perfect, I can deal with the orange light....lol....

LookingForMyMojo wrote:

I've had to flash version 1.0.1 back. I could not get the "services" tab back. Even installing packages for upnp etc., I received the message that the root file was already up to date. Rebooting did not bring the "services" tab back. I even received a message once that there was a conflict and it filed the package somewhere else. I reverted back to 1.0.1, and no issues. My family was also complaining that some sites wouldn’t load and the Internet was slower. Again, 1.0.1 solved all these issues. Working perfect, I can deal with the orange light....lol....

That's why I follow the policy of keeping prior stable release available smile

There is quite a bit of difference between v1.0.1 and v1.0.5. Some of the issues you experienced might be due to having "Keep settings" checked for the firmware upgrade.

When I install "luci-app-upnp" from the Software tab the Services tab appears right away with the UPNP tab. When I reboot and it remains.

Well, I apologize if I missed these instructions somewhere down the line. I have made a habit of unchecking " keep settings", but maybe I forgot this time when I went to 1.0.5. I reflashed 1.0.5 and I loaded luci-app-upnp as instructed and voila' ! Perfect.

Thanks again Chadster !

LookingForMyMojo wrote:

Well, I apologize if I missed these instructions somewhere down the line. I have made a habit of unchecking " keep settings", but maybe I forgot this time when I went to 1.0.5. I reflashed 1.0.5 and I loaded luci-app-upnp as instructed and voila' ! Perfect.

Thanks again Chadster !

I did the same to be sure I wasn't posting bad information. I discovered an important thing. Installing "luci-app-upnp" disables miniupnpd system startup.

After installing "luci-app-upnp" a reboot is required. Then in Services => UPNP => "Start UPnP and NAT-PMP service" has to be checked and saved.

(Last edited by Chadster766 on 25 Oct 2014, 18:01)

No heartbleed in McWRT 1.0.5 AAv3.9 r38260 OpenVPN

----
Using username "root".
Authenticating with public key "rsa-key-20120810"

BusyBox v1.19.4 (2014-10-11 13:47:00 CDT) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

Attitude Adjustment 12.09.1 r38260
Security is enabled, and your IP address has been logged.

root@AC1900:~# strings /usr/lib/libssl.so.1.0.0 | grep OpenSSL
OpenSSLDie
SSLv2 part of OpenSSL 1.0.1h 5 Jun 2014
SSLv3 part of OpenSSL 1.0.1h 5 Jun 2014
TLSv1 part of OpenSSL 1.0.1h 5 Jun 2014
DTLSv1 part of OpenSSL 1.0.1h 5 Jun 2014
OpenSSL 1.0.1h 5 Jun 2014
root@AC1900:~#

I've been running my own BB build, but it's never been stable, with the wireless connections resetting periodically.  So last night I decided to try installing the McWrt build.  I was surprised when I went to configure, and it only had WEP, which makes it useless for me.  I remember reading earlier in this thread that it couldn't be used as a bridge because it couldn't authenticate as a WPA client, but are there any of the WPA authenticator server packages that work with this build?  Thanks.

Has anyone tried to use the pivot overlay feature in order to store it on a usb stick? ( http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/extroot )

I tried all the suggested ways for configuring on AA but every time I boot up the usb stick is mounted under /tmp/overlay-disabled. This seems to be an issue with some Openwrt releases.

I'm running McWRT v1.0.5. Thanks.

Sorry, posts 1251 to 1250 are missing from our archive.