OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Update on Linksys WRT1900AC support

The content of this topic has been archived between 16 Sep 2014 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

Has anyone tried to build an image in the past few days and had issues with make pulling from samba.org?  I pulled a bunch of git updates two days ago and it broke my buildroot, so I simply built a new buildroot and it's the new one that's errorring out when trying to pull from ftp.samba.org (which is odd since I can access and download the gzip it's trying to download via a web browser).  I'm using Ubuntu 16.10 x64.

• I haven't been following the thread as frequently as I would have liked in the past month, so I'm not sure if things have changed... on GitHub, is the clone still supposed to be out of Openwrt/openwrt?

make[3]: Leaving directory '/home/jw0914/openwrt/dev/package/network/services/ppp'
make[3]: Entering directory '/home/jw0914/openwrt/dev/package/network/services/samba36'

mkdir -p /home/jw0914/openwrt/dev/dl
SHELL= flock /home/jw0914/openwrt/dev/tmp/.samba-3.6.25.tar.gz.flock -c '    /home/jw0914/openwrt/dev/scripts/download.pl "/home/jw0914/openwrt/dev/dl" "samba-3.6.25.tar.gz" "76da2fa64edd94a0188531e7ecb27c4e" "" "http://ftp.samba.org/pub/samba" "http://ftp.samba.org/pub/samba/stable"'

--2017-01-25 13:36:22--  http://ftp.samba.org/pub/samba/samba-3.6.25.tar.gz
Resolving ftp.samba.org (ftp.samba.org)... 144.76.82.156
Connecting to ftp.samba.org (ftp.samba.org)|144.76.82.156|:80... failed: Connection refused.
Download failed.

--2017-01-25 13:36:22--  http://ftp.samba.org/pub/samba/stable/samba-3.6.25.tar.gz
Resolving ftp.samba.org (ftp.samba.org)... 144.76.82.156
Connecting to ftp.samba.org (ftp.samba.org)|144.76.82.156|:80... failed: Connection refused.
Download failed.

--2017-01-25 13:36:23--  http://mirror2.openwrt.org/sources/samba-3.6.25.tar.gz
Resolving mirror2.openwrt.org (mirror2.openwrt.org)... 46.4.11.11
Connecting to mirror2.openwrt.org (mirror2.openwrt.org)|46.4.11.11|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
2017-01-25 13:36:23 ERROR 404: Not Found.
Download failed.

--2017-01-25 13:36:23--  http://downloads.openwrt.org/sources/samba-3.6.25.tar.gz
Resolving downloads.openwrt.org (downloads.openwrt.org)... 78.24.191.177
Connecting to downloads.openwrt.org (downloads.openwrt.org)|78.24.191.177|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
2017-01-25 13:36:23 ERROR 404: Not Found.
Download failed.

No more mirrors to try - giving up.
Makefile:158: recipe for target '/home/jw0914/openwrt/dev/dl/samba-3.6.25.tar.gz' failed

make[3]: *** [/home/jw0914/openwrt/dev/dl/samba-3.6.25.tar.gz] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory '/home/jw0914/openwrt/dev/package/network/services/samba36'
package/Makefile:196: recipe for target 'package/network/services/samba36/compile' failed

make[2]: *** [package/network/services/samba36/compile] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/jw0914/openwrt/dev'
package/Makefile:193: recipe for target '/home/jw0914/openwrt/dev/staging_dir/target-arm_cortex-a9+vfpv3_musl-1.1.16_eabi/stamp/.package_compile' failed

make[1]: *** [/home/jw0914/openwrt/dev/staging_dir/target-arm_cortex-a9+vfpv3_musl-1.1.16_eabi/stamp/.package_compile] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/jw0914/openwrt/dev'

/home/jw0914/openwrt/dev/include/toplevel.mk:192: recipe for target 'world' failed
make: *** [world] Error 2

@nitroshift, did you have any luck a few months back in getting a reply from mrfrezee, as they haven't been seen for almost a year and their build repo is still offline... if you weren't able to get in touch, and no one has any objections, I'm going to remove their build section from the wiki, but save the code to add back later if it comes back online

(Last edited by JW0914 on 26 Jan 2017, 09:45)

rlei wrote:

Sera - Thank you for the clarifications big_smile extroot sounds like my best option.

rlei,

the drawback of extroot is it needs to be recreated after flashing. I prefer self-contained images ie, no modification at all after flashing. If you have just barely not enough space squashfs is certainly worth looking into, after all once flashed a couple 100 KiB is enough as temporary files are mostly in ram and logs and the like should be written to some external storage anyway.

The mount root init script in the initrams could also be modified to mount an usb stick or an nfs volume, though that needs some thought put into.

JW0914,

Guess the whole 3rd party firmware section could use an owerhaul.

Most people looking for open source firmware for one of this devices will come across the wiki page. As OpenWrt can't be the best choice for everyone listing alternatives definitely makes sense.

What is clearly missing are notable firmwares like Gargoyle, DD-WRT or McDebian. Sure they don't fit into the current scheme. But listing exact kernel version or direct links to possibly stale images I consider broken anyway.

My suggestion is to make the section a top level item instead of a child of firmware images. Then drop the current format and replace it with only the important information. Kernel version definitely isn't (It's more often wrong then correct anyway). All that is needed is a link to a start page, a forum thread and or a wiki page. All a user needs to know is it exist and where to get further info.

@JW0914

I haven't got around to send the e-mail. Sorry.

nitroshift

sera wrote:
rlei wrote:

Sera - Thank you for the clarifications big_smile extroot sounds like my best option.

the drawback of extroot is it needs to be recreated after flashing. I prefer self-contained images ie, no modification at all after flashing. If you have just barely not enough space squashfs is certainly worth looking into, after all once flashed a couple 100 KiB is enough as temporary files are mostly in ram and logs and the like should be written to some external storage anyway.

You also sacrifice r/w speed as well as iops when utilizing extroot... what difference this makes in the large scheme of things would need to be answered to determine how much of an impact the aforementioned has.  It would not ever be advisable to run extroot on a mechanical drive, and if needing more space for packages, chroot would seem like a better alternative.

• OpenVPN is a prime example, as a VPN server should always be run from a chroot to prevent root permissions being accessible should the VPN ever be compromised.  An OpenVPN chroot would be ~11MB in size, so it's something that would almost always have to be configured within a chroot on external media.

@sera great points about the wiki.  I need to spend a solid week on it to get everything added from the master list, as well as from the ~100 posts I've flagged for smaller things, however the difficult bit has been finding the time to do so. 

• Would @tmomas object to other firmware types being referenced and linked to on a OpenWrt wiki (I like the idea, just don't want to spend the half day or so on formatting only to have it removed).  If no one knows, when I go to make the edits, I'll hop on IRC and ask him to determine what he's okay with and how best to present the information.

@nitroshift no big deal, but wanted to ask before I made any changes to mrfrezee's wiki section.  If no one has any objections then, I'm going to remove his section from the wiki, however I'll save the code in a text file within my public OpenWrt OneDrive share.

(Last edited by JW0914 on 26 Jan 2017, 20:53)

@sera & @nitrohift I saw there's a new separate thread for the WRT3200ACM... should this be added to the wiki?

• I'm not familiar with forum OS software or how forums are setup server side, so perhaps @tmomas would be a better person to ask this to, but it seems as if it would make more sense to create a category and subcategories [threads]

• Armada XP

• 88E6172

• [thread]: WRT1900AC v1

• Armada 385

• 88E6176

• [thread]:WRT1200AC, WRT1900AC v2, WRT1900ACS

• 88E6352

• [thread]: WRT3200ACM

• The reason I mention this is this thread is only going to continue to balloon, so we should try to figure out a solution now rather than later.

• 2014: 1,830 posts [total 1,830]

• 2015: 7,499 posts [total: 9,329]

• 2016: 4,626 posts [total: 13,956]

• Should this continue to increase at an average rate of 4,652 new posts a year:

• 2017: total 18,608

• 2018: total 23,260

• 2019: total 27,912

• 2020: total 32,564

• With no ability to search individual threads, the problems current members face will grow exponentially, relative to the growth of the thread.

• I may be wrong, but I believe this thread is the single largest one on OpenWrt, due, in large part, to lack of a subcategory system.

• I would imagine the size of thread, growing at this rate, may pose other performance and technical issues server side and database wise, but this is only an educated guess since I have no experience with forum OSes and how they're configured.

• If this is due to lack of resources, hardware or monetary, is there a place members can go to view what's needed/wanted by OpenWrt?

(Last edited by JW0914 on 27 Jan 2017, 16:45)

@JW0914

Point ACM wiki to its own thread.

nitroshift

nitroshift wrote:

@JW0914

Point ACM wiki to its own thread.

Is there a separate wiki for the ACM, or is it still okay being listed under the WRT AC Series wiki?

@JW0914

Being part of the same WRT series, I'd say it's ok to list it under the series.

nitroshift

@JW0914

feel free to add to the WIKI............. "The WRT3200ACM kicks @ss "

smile

Best router I have ever had .

@sera

Got my hands on a WRT3200ACM over the holidays but have not cracked it open just yet sad

Which of the kernel versions of swrt (4.9/4.10/next) shows the most promise?

Cheers

Hi all

I saw there was a recent commit titled: mvebu: work around an ethernet tx scheduling fairness issue

commit 2e1f6f1682d3974d8ea52310e460f1bbe470390f

Does any one have any info on the issue or comment on the patch?

JW0914 wrote:

Would @tmomas object to other firmware types being referenced and linked to on a OpenWrt wiki (I like the idea, just don't want to spend the half day or so on formatting only to have it removed).  If no one knows, when I go to make the edits, I'll hop on IRC and ask him to determine what he's okay with and how best to present the information.

JW0914,

Gargoyle is closer to OpenWrt than LEDE except for politics, at least for now. It's basically CC with a different gui, sort of using KDE instead of Gnome. You can't reasonably argue against one without having to argue against the other as well. Either way presenting your distribution as the only option doesn't help your distribution at all as I see it and if there is indeed such a rule it should be handled consistently.

As for formatting half a day, just don't. Less is more wink

doITright wrote:

@sera

Got my hands on a WRT3200ACM over the holidays but have not cracked it open just yet sad

Which of the kernel versions of swrt (4.9/4.10/next) shows the most promise?

Cheers

doITright,

there should be little difference, the only real issue I'm currently aware of is mwlwifi which is separate from the kernel (btw, there was just recently some activity wrt upstreaming mwlwifi again). The switch should be supported by 4.9 just fine (4.9 is a longterm stable kernel and current swrt default), the rest is more or less the same as Shelby. There are a few minor issues lurking in the shadows probably. Let me know what issues you run into an I'll see if it can be fixed. Well, I should get my hands on one of those units soon ...

swrt-2017-01-26
---------------

Only trivial stuff this time around. Xtables-addons did a release with my patches, so use that instead and a randconf build fix.

* linux-4.9: bump to 4.9.6
* linux-4.10: bump to 4.10-rc5
* linux-next: bump to next-20170125

* xtables-addons: bump to 2.12
* drop 254-textsearch_kconfig_hacks.patch

swrt-2017-01-26.tar.xz: https://gpldr.in/v/F0mpHOnXXR/iolk8Fham2pe8Hmt
sha256sum: 2baf0be31cdaee564f3ba7667b30a1cf70c867e14ac97da6a151349e42732d41

Just an FYI: I've opened an issue on GitHub as the plethora of merges that have occurred in the past 60 - 90 days have broken the compiling of at least 10 non-obscure packages (rsync, samba, cifsmount, gnupg, etc.). 

• I unfortunately don't know what merges because I last built an image on 9/26 and packages that have never had an issue compiling now error out during compilation.

• I've spent a solid 4 days recreating numerous buildroots across 4 VMs, as normally issues on this magnitude are environmental related... frustrating, tedious, and time consuming to say the least, although after recreating a buildroot for the 6th time, I wrote a script that will auto install all required packages on a new Ubuntu install, clone, run menuconfig, make a defconfig, and build automatically =]

#!/bin/bash

##::[[--- OpenWrt Ubuntu x64 Build Script ---]]::##

# Variables #
#--------------------------------------

# User Name:
user="jw0914"

# Commands:
ag="sudo apt-get"

wrt="make MENUCONFIG_COLOR=blackbg menuconfig"

wrtu="./scripts/feeds update -a"
wrti="./scripts/feeds install -a"

wrtd="make defconfig"
wrtp="make prereq"

# Files & Directories:
crypto="package/kernel/linux/modules/crypto.mk"

dev="/home/jw0914/openwrt/dev"
devices="/home/jw0914/openwrt/devices"

# Packages:

# 16.04:
PreReqs="asciidoc bash bc bcc bin86 binutils build-essential bzip2 fastjar flex gawk gcc gcc-multilib genisoimage gettext git-core intltool jikespg libboost1.58-dev libgtk2.0-dev libncurses5-dev libssl-dev libusb-dev libxml-parser-perl make mercurial openjdk-8-jdk patch perl-modules-5.22 python3-dev rsync ruby sdcc sharutils subversion util-linux wget xsltproc zlib1g-dev"

# 16.10:
#PreReqs="asciidoc bash bc bcc bin86 binutils build-essential bzip2 fastjar flex gawk gcc gcc-multilib genisoimage gettext git-core intltool jikespg libboost1.61-dev libgtk2.0-dev libncurses5-dev libssl-dev libusb-dev libxml-parser-perl make mercurial openjdk-8-jdk patch perl-modules-5.22 python3-dev rsync ruby sdcc sharutils subversion util-linux wget xsltproc zlib1g-dev"

# Prepare #

# Update:
printf "\n\n...Updating Package Lists...\n\n"
$ag update

# Install Prereqs:
printf "\n\n...Installing Prerequisite Packages...\n\n"
$ag install $PreReqs

# Upgrade Packages:
printf "\n\n...Upgrading Required Packages...\n\n"
$ag upgrade

# Clone:
printf "\n\n...Cloning OpenWrt from GitHub...\n\n"
git clone https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt.git

# Rename & Enter:
printf "\n\n...Rename, Own, & Enter...\n"
mv openwrt dev
sudo chown -R $user:$user dev/
cd dev

# Configure #

# Update & Install Feeds:
printf "\n\n...Updating Feeds...\n\n"
$wrtu

printf "\n\n...Installing Feeds...\n\n"
$wrti

# Copy Custom Files Over
printf "\n\n...Copying Custom Files & Directories...\n"
cp -R $devices $dev
cp -R $devices/configs/* $dev
cp -R $devices/wrt1900acs/files $dev

# Add Updated Marvell-Cesa to Crypto Makefile:
printf "\n\n...Adding updated Marvell Cesa to crypto.mk...\n\n"
cp $crypto ../crypto.mk.original
echo '

define KernelPackage/crypto-marvell-cesa
  TITLE:=Marvell crypto engine (new)
  DEPENDS:=+kmod-crypto-des +kmod-crypto-manager @TARGET_kirkwood||@TARGET_orion||TARGET_mvebu
  KCONFIG:= \
    CONFIG_CRYPTO_DEV_MARVELL_CESA \
    CONFIG_CRYPTO_HW=y
  FILES:=$(LINUX_DIR)/drivers/crypto/marvell/marvell-cesa.ko
  AUTOLOAD:=$(call AutoLoad,09,marvell-cesa)
  $(call AddDepends/crypto)
endef

$(eval $(call KernelPackage,crypto-marvell-cesa))' >> $crypto

# Build #

# Run MenuConfig:
printf "\n\n...Running MenuConfig...\n\n"
$wrt

# Default & PreReq Configs:
printf "\n\n...Creating DefConfig and PreReq...\n\n"
$wrtd && $wrtp

# Compile:
printf "\n\n...Compiling Image...\n\n"
make

printf "\n\n...Script completed...\n\n"

(Last edited by JW0914 on 28 Jan 2017, 23:40)

@sera

FYI...  When applying your latest patch set to a fresh openwrt clone it fails with:

Applying: kernel: fix ubi automount patches
Applying: kernel: update config for ubi and ubifs
Applying: kernel: add kmod-ubi
Applying: kernel: add kmod-fs-ubifs
error: patch failed: package/kernel/linux/modules/fs.mk:436
error: package/kernel/linux/modules/fs.mk: patch does not apply
Patch failed at 0004 kernel: add kmod-fs-ubifs
The copy of the patch that failed is found in: .git/rebase-apply/patch
When you have resolved this problem, run "git am --continue".
If you prefer to skip this patch, run "git am --skip" instead.
To restore the original branch and stop patching, run "git am --abort".

Cheers

EDIT:  Never mind...  ID10T user error smile

(Last edited by doITright on 28 Jan 2017, 23:15)

About to switch from wrt1900ACv1 to WRT3200ACM, the former becoming the new AP and bumping a asus rtn56-u out. I just hope the wifi stabilized. Since I'll have DSA and stuff on the 3200, but those with 1900v1 or other models should still strive to port dsa but hey it's marvell... just my 2 cents

JW0914,

Your build hosts wget behaves oddly and doesn't follow a redirect, see the 302 bellow. Your .wgetrc maybe?

$ wget http://ftp.samba.org/pub/samba/samba-3.6.25.tar.gz
--2017-01-29 06:36:23--  http://ftp.samba.org/pub/samba/samba-3.6.25.tar.gz
Resolving ftp.samba.org... 2a01:4f8:192:486::443:2, 144.76.82.156
Connecting to ftp.samba.org|2a01:4f8:192:486::443:2|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 302 Found
Location: https://download.samba.org/pub/samba/samba-3.6.25.tar.gz [following]
--2017-01-29 06:36:23--  https://download.samba.org/pub/samba/samba-3.6.25.tar.gz
Resolving download.samba.org... 2a01:4f8:192:486::443:2, 144.76.82.156
Connecting to download.samba.org|2a01:4f8:192:486::443:2|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 34121828 (33M) [application/gzip]
Saving to: ‘samba-3.6.25.tar.gz’

samba-3.6.25.tar.gz             100%[======================================================>]  32.54M  5.43MB/s    in 6.0s

2017-01-29 06:36:29 (5.41 MB/s) - ‘samba-3.6.25.tar.gz’ saved [34121828/34121828]

Eitherway off topic.

David suggested that I bring my questions to this thread.

I am bringing up a new WRT1900ACS with the build, and have some ipv6 (wan) to ipv4 lan issues.  Please feel free to redirect as I know is more of a ipv6 to ipv4 config issue, but since it is probably relative to whats included in the package, I'm starting here.

I am coming off a WNDR3700 running an older build of CC.  My LAN is IPV4(and needs to stay that for now) , and I believe my CC build is still using 6relayd.  The WAN gets both IPV6 and IPV4 addresses, connected to a bridged cable modem.  The ISP is Comcast if that helps.

I know the stock is using odhcpd. I've not configured/setup odhcpd before, and my ipv6 memory is fuzzy, as I set and forgot on the wndr.

Using the uci stock defaults  for wan and wan6 config from the davidc502 build, the WRT1900ACS receives an IPV6 address (only) from Comcast on WAN6, but no IPV4 address, on WAN.  And maybe thats by design, intending to default to native.

And at the router, using diags I can ping over wan, traceroute  wan using ipv6. Obviously, not so much for IPV4, and my IPV4 clients on LAN cannot get out to WAN.

Apologies if its rudimentary, whats the right way to do this to get the IPV4 LAN clients working? I need to config and/or add dual stack, or other?

Thanks.

@sera  Thanks! =]  @hnyman also mentioned samba.org changed it's download requirements, requiring all downloads to now use https (I think he mentioned he was going to push makefile changes to OpenWrt to fix that issue).  I edited the makefiles for samba and rsync to only use https as a quick fix, however your idea makes sense since another thing I noticed is when I redid the buildroot the first few times on a new Ubuntu install, a wget hst file was auto modded to 777 permissions, requiring a manual change.  I'm thinking the problems are stemming from my home mount since it's stored in a separate vhdx and imported into every new install, possibly from an inadvertent change(s) made when I setup mount points for my Android and Kali buildroots (they're mounted within folders contained in my home folder).

@joekane Since U.S. ISPs haven't switched to IPv6 for 95% of customers, I've never had to deal with IPv6, however, in the meantime until someone with more knowledge can reply, if you haven't already done so, I'd check out the following OpenWrt wikis

While this isn't in regards to your issue, if you do choose to switch to DD, it's recommended to switch to DNSmasq-Full and completely remove odhcpd.  See DHCP & DNS Troubleshooting in Wiki for the known issue.

(Last edited by JW0914 on 2 Feb 2017, 20:42)

@JWC0914  Appreciate the response. I have been through the wikis and setups, but I am swimming in the deep pool, and they are very sparse as you note.

If I could just get the IPV4 to WAN working , I could switch to DD (and maybe I just have to disable IPV6 at WAN side to effect that).  But the older running CC (with relay6d and maybe some other pkgs) gets assigned IPV6 and IpV4 on WAN, and everything works.  So I was really just trying to replicate the WAN connectivity on the WRT1900acs.

Whatever DD is doing only results in an IPV6 address(and a single  /128).

I see relay6d was deprecated to odhcpd, which may now be deprecated to dnsmasq-full as you note.  Looking for what the current 'right' thing to do is.

As you are apparently running what is supported here, you may elicit greater respone there.

joekane wrote:

I see relay6d was deprecated to odhcpd, which may now be deprecated to dnsmasq-full as you note.  Looking for what the current 'right' thing to do is.

odhcpd hasn't been depreciated, there's simply a bug that causes issues on kernels 4.1.x and 4.4.x

I think he means that relay6d was discontinued as default in favor of odhcpd which was then phased out in favor of a stand-alone dnsmasq-dhcp6