OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Update on Linksys WRT1900AC support

The content of this topic has been archived between 16 Sep 2014 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

@sera could be on vacation...

using transmission and getting max 17MB/s, thinking is this max speed? using whit hdd and usb3 whit 1Gbps internet.

Driver007 wrote:

using transmission and getting max 17MB/s, thinking is this max speed? using whit hdd and usb3 whit 1Gbps internet.

speed of hard disk?
filesystem of hard disk?
also torrent has enough peer?

sprobot wrote:

@tapper Thanks for the suggestion!  I am actually already using that.  I realize I left the version in my signature but spaced on listing it in my comment. Sorry about that!

I am using LEDE Reboot 17.01.2 r3435-65eec8bd5f / LuCI lede-17.01 branch (git-17.152.82987-7f6fc16)
Kernel Version    4.4.71

I'll give sequential addresses a try.


@sprobot you are excellent tester for stabilitY, please keep posting&updating Lede version, until it became stable...

so no one can reupload the patch ?

@Ansuel

My guess is that @sera makes those files available for a short time with a good reason. Unless he agrees, I can't make them public myself (or anyone else for that matter).

nitroshift

Can someone pm with the patch? i  have a bug with a modem and i need to test if it gets solved by switching from swconfig to dsa

S Pimenta wrote:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=n … x-4.13-ARM

The Linksys WRT3200ACM WiFi router is now supported by mainline Linux 4.13.

I'm not familiar with that site so I wanted to get some clarification before I add that information to the Wiki:

  • That piece is stating the 3200 will be fully supported in kernel 4.13, correct?

  • Has the 3200 not been fully supported in the 4.x.x kernels used by OpenWrt and LEDE?

    • If so, what kind(s) of support has been missing from those kernels?

JW0914 wrote:

@sera could be on vacation...

Have had readied a release before I left so it didn't pass all automated tests. Didn't had the time to look at it any more so the gap in-between ended up bigger than intended. Now the garden looks like a jungle, so plenty work before I get back to it. Should be during next week.

---

Ansuel,

only lede removed DSA, still supported in plain OpenWrt. Also available via make kernel_nconfig. All I did was adding some glue here and there to make it the default with a proper config out of the box as some cleanup. Was over half a year ago, so plenty time to have grabbed a copy.

---

S Pimenta,

yes, though didn't expect Phronix to mention it. Except for mwlwifi a vanilla 4.13 kernel will do. Shelby since 4.12 btw.

@sera hope you had a good brake! Nice to see you back.

Could someone please verify if this switch configuration is correct for vlans on the 1900AC v1

  • Specifically if the WAN vLAN is correct (only relevant lines are posted), as the switch wiki on OpenWrt and LEDE show only a single port CPU.

    • I have a hunch I need to create a second switch [switch1] and assign the WAN bridge to switch1

  • WAN: Internet [port 4], LAN 4 [port 3], LAN 3 [port 2] ports are bridged for WAN failover

/etc/config/network

#

    ##::[[---  LEDE WAN Network Config  ---]]::##

####################################################
          ##----- Active Networks -----##
####################################################

    # LAN #
#---------------------------------------------------
config interface 'lan'
    option  ifname          'eth0.1'
    option  type            'bridge'
    option  proto           'static'

    # LAN: Management #
#---------------------------------------------------
config interface 'admin'
    option  ifname          'eth0.3'
    option  proto           'static'

    # WAN #
#---------------------------------------------------
config interface 'wan'
    option  ifname          'eth1.2'
    option  type            'bridge'
    option  proto           'dhcp'

config interface 'wan6'
    option  ifname          'eth1.2'
    option  type            'bridge'
    option  proto           'dhcpv6'

####################################################
          ##----- Virtual Switches -----##
####################################################

    # Switch 0 #
#---------------------------------------------------
config switch
    option  name            'switch0'
    option  reset           1
    option  enable_vlan     1

  # LAN:
config switch_vlan
    option  device          'switch0'
    option  vlan            1
    option  ports           '0 5t'

  # WAN:
config switch_vlan
    option  device          'switch0'
    option  vlan            2
    option  ports           '2 3 4 6t'

  # Admin
config switch_vlan
    option  device          'switch0'
    option  vlan            3
    option  ports           '1 5t'

Or should it be:

####################################################
          ##----- Virtual Switches -----##
####################################################

    # Switch 0 #
#---------------------------------------------------
config switch
    option  name            'switch0'
    option  reset           1
    option  enable_vlan     1

  # LAN:
config switch_vlan
    option  device          'switch0'
    option  vlan            1
    option  ports           '0 5t'

  # Admin
config switch_vlan
    option  device          'switch0'
    option  vlan            2
    option  ports           '1 5t'

    # Switch 1 #
#---------------------------------------------------
config switch
    option  name            'switch1'
    option  reset           1
    option  enable_vlan     1

  # WAN:
config switch_vlan
    option  device          'switch1'
    option  vlan            3
    option  ports           '2 3 4 6t'

config interface 'wan'
    option  ifname          'eth1.3'
    option  type            'bridge'
    option  proto           'dhcp'

(Last edited by JW0914 on 13 Jul 2017, 02:42)

JW0914 wrote:

Could someone please verify if this switch configuration is correct for vlans on the 1900AC v1

I think you need to add another vlan on switch0 for ports 2 and 3 like so (clipped a bunch of stuff):

config interface 'wan'
    option  ifname          'eth1.2 eth0.4'
    option  type            'bridge'
    option  proto           'dhcp'

config interface 'wan6'
    option  ifname          'eth1.2 eth0.4'
    option  type            'bridge'
    option  proto           'dhcpv6'

  # LAN:
config switch_vlan
    option  device          'switch0'
    option  vlan            1
    option  ports           '0 5t'

  # WAN:
config switch_vlan
    option  device          'switch0'
    option  vlan            2
    option  ports           '4 6t'

  # Admin
config switch_vlan
    option  device          'switch0'
    option  vlan            3
    option  ports           '1 5t'

 # LAN to WAN
config switch_vlan
    option  device          'switch0'
    option  vlan            4
    option  ports           '2 3 5t'

@InkblotAdmirer Please see bullet point...

(Last edited by JW0914 on 13 Jul 2017, 02:49)

JW0914 wrote:

@InkblotAdmirer Please see bullet point...

I did, and they are both on the "wan" interface -- see the option ifname line under wan interface config.  I think my configs will work for what you are trying to do.

InkblotAdmirer wrote:
JW0914 wrote:

@InkblotAdmirer Please see bullet point...

I did, and they are both on the "wan" interface -- see the option ifname line under wan interface config.  I think my configs will work for what you are trying to do.

Did you mean to type '2 3 6t', not 5t, otherwise that wouldn't work as ports 2 & 3 will be WAN ports, which if 5t, would put them passing through the LAN CPU port, not WAN (unless LEDE changed the CPU port mapping, as the 1900AC v1 was always the odd man out with CPU port 5 as LAN, 6 as WAN, versus the opposite with every other WRT AC Series router)... or am I thinking about this the wrong way?

(Last edited by JW0914 on 13 Jul 2017, 14:48)

wiki / LEDE question: on the wiki there is a section for OpenWRT->OEM flashing, do the same instructions apply to LEDE->OEM?  (namely  sysupgrade -n -v image-name at CLI in LEDE) ?

background:  WAN is dropping daily still, nothing in syslog except sometimes BusyBox nslookup error, (signals to me its dead). Reboot always resolves.  I am thinking of going back to latest OEM firmware to see if the problem is openwrt/lede or maybe ISP, (a bit unlikley on ISP since reboot of 1900AC always fixes this), or maybe hardware?
ALSO:  If I go to latest OEM firmware 1.1.10.167514 can I still flash back to open/lede using the official firmware gui?  (I recall something about them no longer allowing it? , or NAND boot corruption or something?)

(Last edited by IvanRaide on 14 Jul 2017, 17:07)

IvanRaide wrote:

wiki / LEDE question: on the wiki there is a section for OpenWRT->OEM flashing, do the same instructions apply to LEDE->OEM?  (namely  sysupgrade -n -v image-name at CLI in LEDE) ?

LEDE has updated the mvebu image format a bit, so it will not accept the Openwrt sysupgrade image, but will complain about incompatible image. But there is a new "-F" or "--force" option to ignore the image format error. You need to use that with sysupgrade.

Note that you should be able to also flash the OEM image with that (if you want to go directly to OEM firmware).

hnyman wrote:
IvanRaide wrote:

wiki / LEDE question: on the wiki there is a section for OpenWRT->OEM flashing, do the same instructions apply to LEDE->OEM?  (namely  sysupgrade -n -v image-name at CLI in LEDE) ?

LEDE has updated the mvebu image format a bit, so it will not accept the Openwrt sysupgrade image, but will complain about incompatible image. But there is a new "-F" or "--force" option to ignore the image format error. You need to use that with sysupgrade.

Note that you should be able to also flash the OEM image with that (if you want to go directly to OEM firmware).

Thanks for the info!  Do you know or happen to recall, of hearing about problems of going from the latest OEM firmware to either OpenWRT or LEDE?

JW0914 wrote:
InkblotAdmirer wrote:
JW0914 wrote:

@InkblotAdmirer Please see bullet point...

I did, and they are both on the "wan" interface -- see the option ifname line under wan interface config.  I think my configs will work for what you are trying to do.

Did you mean to type '2 3 6t', not 5t, otherwise that wouldn't work as ports 2 & 3 will be WAN ports, which if 5t, would put them passing through the LAN CPU port, not WAN (unless LEDE changed the CPU port mapping, as the 1900AC v1 was always the odd man out with CPU port 5 as LAN, 6 as WAN, versus the opposite with every other WRT AC Series router)... or am I thinking about this the wrong way?

I was thinking about it the wrong way =]

#

    ##::[[---  LEDE WAN Network Config  ---]]::##

####################################################
          ##----- Active Networks -----##
####################################################

    # Globals #
#-----------------------------------
config globals 'globals'
    option  ula_prefix      'fd4b:4d8a:8852::/48'

####################################################
           ##----- Active Networks ----##
####################################################

    # Loopback #
#---------------------------------------------------
config interface 'loopback'
    option  ifname          'lo'
    option  proto           'static'
    option  ipaddr          127.0.0.1
    option  netmask         255.0.0.0

    # Guest #
#---------------------------------------------------
config interface 'guest'
    option  ifname          'guest'
    option  type            'bridge'
    option  proto           'static'
    option  ipaddr          192.168.250.1
    option  netmask         255.255.255.240
    option  broadcast       192.168.250.15
    option  dns             '208.67.222.222 208.67.220.220'

    # LAN #
#---------------------------------------------------
config interface 'lan'
    option  ifname          'eth0.1'
    option  type            'bridge'
    option  proto           'static'
    option  ip6assign       64
    option  ipaddr          192.168.3.1
    option  netmask         255.255.255.224
    option  broadcast       192.168.3.31
    option  dns             '208.67.222.222 208.67.220.220'
    option  force_link      1

    # WAN #
#---------------------------------------------------
config interface 'wan'
    option  ifname          'eth1.2'
    option  proto           'dhcp'

config interface 'wan6'
    option  ifname          'eth1.2'
    option  proto           'dhcpv6'

    # LAN: Management #
#---------------------------------------------------
config interface 'admin'
    option  ifname          'eth0.3'
    option  proto           'static'
    option  ipaddr          192.168.30.1
    option  netmask         255.255.255.248
    option  broadcast       192.168.30.7
    option  dns             192.168.30.1
    option  gateway         192.168.30.1

    # OpenVPN #
#---------------------------------------------------
config interface 'openvpn'
    option  ifname          'tun0'
    option  proto           'static'
    option  ipaddr          10.10.3.1
    option  netmask         255.255.255.240
    option  broadcast       10.10.3.15
    option  dns             '192.168.3.1 208.67.222.222 208.67.220.220'
    option  delegate        0



####################################################
          ##----- Virtual Switches -----##
####################################################

config switch
    option  name            'switch0'
    option  reset           1
    option  enable_vlan     1

  # LAN:
config switch_vlan
    option  device          'switch0'
    option  vlan            1
    option  vid             1
    option  ports           '0 5t'

  # WAN:
config switch_vlan
    option  device          'switch0'
    option  vlan            2
    option  vid             2
    option  ports           '2 3 4 6t'

  # Admin
config switch_vlan
    option  device          'switch0'
    option  vlan            3
    option  vid             3
    option  ports           '1 5t'
IvanRaide wrote:

Do you know or happen to recall, of hearing about problems of going from the latest OEM firmware to either OpenWRT or LEDE?

There are none, and even if there were, flashing via TTL would resolve it.  Prior to flashing non-OEM firmware, all should have access to a TTL connection option (USB-TTL, UART, MAX232, Arduino, etc.).

(Last edited by JW0914 on 14 Jul 2017, 19:01)

JW0914 wrote:
IvanRaide wrote:

Do you know or happen to recall, of hearing about problems of going from the latest OEM firmware to either OpenWRT or LEDE?

There are none, and even if there were, flashing via TTL would resolve it.  Prior to flashing non-OEM firmware, all should have access to a TTL connection option (USB-TTL, UART, MAX232, Arduino, etc.).

Thanks.  I do have the USB-TTL cable, (for the worse case scenarios) but haven't open the 1900AC to get to the header etc ... hopefuly it won't come to that.

Final question for anyone who has tried; the original OEM firmware was terrible, has Linksys improved the stability in the latest (for anyone that tried it)?

IvanRaide wrote:
JW0914 wrote:
IvanRaide wrote:

Do you know or happen to recall, of hearing about problems of going from the latest OEM firmware to either OpenWRT or LEDE?

There are none, and even if there were, flashing via TTL would resolve it.  Prior to flashing non-OEM firmware, all should have access to a TTL connection option (USB-TTL, UART, MAX232, Arduino, etc.).

Thanks.  I do have the USB-TTL cable, (for the worse case scenarios) but haven't open the 1900AC to get to the header etc ... hopefuly it won't come to that.

Final question for anyone who has tried; the original OEM firmware was terrible, has Linksys improved the stability in the latest (for anyone that tried it)?

As to stability, it ultimately depends on the user environment, as some have issues with stability, whereas others do not... the main issue is wifi stability, as everything else appears to be rock solid for the most part


The problem with OEM firmware, as with all consumer brand OEM firmware, is the fact it

  • cripples the router

  • creates security issues

    • due to not easily being able to discover what versions of software is utilized, and, once garnished, being unable to update said software which is out of date

  • no SSH

  • inability to properly secure and tune OpenVPN (or IPSec VPNs for that matter)

  • defaults insecure protocols and services, when they should not be (WEP, UPnP, etc.), etc.

    • or at the very least, without a brilliant warning that warns the consumer of the massive security risk imposed and the possible consequences of such an exploit


Ultimately, the only thing one loses by switching to opensource is the Linksys WiFi app, while gaining security (I view consumer OEM firmware as the Windows XP of the consumer router market) and ease of use

  • LuCI is laid out far more sanely than the OEM firmware

Even worse, consumer router manufactures stop supporting their units around a year or so after production, with the last OEM firmware updates being:

  • 1200AC v1: over 6 months, since 12/21/2016

  • 1200AC v2: over 6 months, since 12/01/2016

  • 1900AC v1: over 2 years, since 6/30/2015

  • 1900AC v2: over 6 months, since 12/28/2016

  • 1900ACS v1: semi up-to-date, since 1/17/2017  (semi-current)

  • 1900ACS v2: over 8 months, since 11/14/2016

  • 3200ACM v1: Up-to-date, since 5/18/2017 (current)

(Last edited by JW0914 on 14 Jul 2017, 20:41)

IvanRaide wrote:

WAN is dropping daily still, nothing in syslog except sometimes BusyBox nslookup error, (signals to me its dead). Reboot always resolves.

If your WAN connection is PPPoe then it could the old OpenWRT issue where the PPPoe would drop when the WAN IP Address expires.

(Last edited by Chadster766 on 15 Jul 2017, 17:04)

Chadster766 wrote:
IvanRaide wrote:

WAN is dropping daily still, nothing in syslog except sometimes BusyBox nslookup error, (signals to me its dead). Reboot always resolves.

If your WAN connection is PPPoe then it could the old OpenWRT issue where the PPPoe would drop when the WAN IP Address expires.

The type is "dhcp client" and i did stay and watch it expire and renew and it was fine, so i dont think its this.
i also wrote a script that pings a bunch of sites,  and if it fails, i do a ifdown wan, ifup wan but thats doesnt fix it.
i cant figure it out.