OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Update on Linksys WRT1900AC support

The content of this topic has been archived between 16 Sep 2014 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

What's the latest on this Winbond issue?

From what I've read it seems to need a kernel bump to 4.14 to fix plus a device patch.  Both of which seem to be available - but I don't know how to build, so if some kind soul could do a 4.14 kernel build with Kaloz's patch, I would be most obliged.

I put a post with a reference to a 4.14 image in the thread.

Edit: there are patches for 4.4, 4.9, 4.14 in the link above.

(Last edited by Villeneuve on 17 Feb 2018, 18:44)

It is good that now this problem is solved, but it is bad that Linksys was not warned about it in time.

Villeneuve wrote:

I put a post with a reference to a 4.14 image in the thread.

Edit: there are patches for 4.4, 4.9, 4.14 in the link above.

Forgive my naiveity but does this mean one can build a 'stable' 4.4/4.9 release image with this simple 2-line patch and it will start working again?

From the above post, my understanding would be that the change to the DTS is all that is required. So yes you could patch up current stable(4.4), or a master(4.9), or as I did master(4.14). I do not own a rango with the new Winbond flash, so I cannot verify.

So this is my first time doing any sort of build, but here is what I am trying... let me know if this is correct.

1. I cloned openwrt master.
2. I cloned Kaloz's branch.
3. I copied the 3 files from Kaloz's patch to openwrt.
4. Just running the build, all default options.

What I'm hoping is that this will end me up with a 4.14 build with the patch... am I right?  How long does it normally take?

(Last edited by seb101 on 17 Feb 2018, 20:34)

Right, I am certainly willing to give you a hand on getting your own image built. Just not in a forum, and certainly not in this thread. If you want you can ping me on irc #lede-dev, use the moniker from the LEDE forum, and I will PM you and try to get you going.

Can an Admin lock this thread please?

This thread is far too long, no longer relevant, and without thread search, inefficient and pointless.

Most people still use this one - you are free to unsubscribe from notifications if you want to. I would be happy to change the forum layout, but right now we have more urgent things to solve..

Kaloz wrote:

Most people still use this one - you are free to unsubscribe from notifications if you want to. I would be happy to change the forum layout, but right now we have more urgent things to solve..

No, most people use the LEDE forum... this thread has [thankfully] seen minimal activity in the last three months.

• If you want to keep this thread open, please explain:

1. How is this thread beneficial to anyone at this point?

• Currently, there are 14,910 posts (597 pages) with no ability on this forum for thread search, which is why this thread is as long as it is, and no sane person would believe this is a good thread to get information, let alone help, from.

• Perhaps you believe someone is going to take the time to search, let alone read, thousands of posts in an attempt to garnish information about whatever issue they're having, as this is what is currently required with no thread search support... unless one wishes for the current solution of simply repeating the same questions, same issues, same fixes over and over again, every 100 - 200 posts to be continued..

• If one knows specifically what they're looking for, Google's advanced search functionality via site: can be utilized, but many don't know such advanced search options exist since Google doesn't advertise them or make them easy to find... regardless, this is not an acceptable solution to the issue of this forum not supporting thread search.

• Since at least mid-2015, every 100 posts or so the exact same information would be repeated again and again, as (1) users had no efficient way to discern if the question/issue they had had been raised previously and (2) users providing help/information had no easy way to discern when they last covered whatever it was a user was asking about.

2. How is this thread currently relevant?

• This thread was created in April 2014 when the only device in the WRT AC Series was the 1900AC v1

• Currently there are the 1200AC v1 & v2, 1900AC v2, 1900ACS v1 & v2, WRT3200ACM v1 & v2

• How is "Update on Linksys WRT1900AC support " relevant to any of those 6 other devices (as this was the de facto thread for the WRT AC Series)?

• Why would any user with a 1200AC, 1900ACS, or WRT3200ACM believe this is a thread they should look in?

• ...And once someone does, no normal person is going to believe a thread with 14.910 posts, 597 pages, and no thread search is a good place to look for an answer, let alone help of any kind...

I pitied the users who attempted to do their due diligence and actually skimmed through 25+ pages, as this is the most non-user friendly thread anyone has likely ever come across, and I'd likely be accurate in stating this is likely the longest thread in the history of any forum on the internet.... it's absurd.

(Last edited by JW0914 on 18 Feb 2018, 19:51)

1. People either prefer this forum or that one, as a lot of people hate that layout and/or the amount of eye candies  - the number of common users are fairly minimal.

2. I doubt I have to explain why I don't want to close something just because you believe I should. Content here is created and used in the way people want. If people prefer to create separate threads, they'll do that, if not, they won't.

You should never police a community based on your beliefs.

Kaloz wrote:

1. People either prefer this forum or that one, as a lot of people hate that layout and/or the amount of eye candies  - the number of common users are fairly minimal.

2. I doubt I have to explain why I don't want to close something just because you believe I should. Content here is created and used in the way people want. If people prefer to create separate threads, they'll do that, if not, they won't.

You should never police a community based on your beliefs.

This isn't about my beliefs or opinions, but about common sense and facts.  What I stated above were facts, and you're more than capable of fact checking the information in my above post.

As to the LEDE forum, I'll let facts speak for themselves that this thread has seen minimal activity in 3 months (29 posts), whereas the WRT AC Series threads on the LEDE forum have seen activity almost every day. 

Then again, too many these days seem to confuse facts as opinions and opinions as facts...

Also, most don't prefer this forum or this forum's software, with 90% preferring LEDE''s Discourse forum software to OpenWrt's ancient PunBB configuration... seriously, forum search is pretty basic stuff and to have it lacking due to an ancient PunBB configuration is... absurd  <=== that's an opinion.

• The fact this forum lacks thread search is not some oversight, but a deliberate, conscious decision by the maintainer of this forum, as this is not a new complaint or suggestion but one that has been repeatedly echoed by users for years.  If you don't like the constructive criticism, perhaps one should consider fixing the issue.

(Last edited by JW0914 on 18 Feb 2018, 19:53)

JW0914 wrote:

As to the LEDE forum, I'll let facts speak for themselves that this thread has seen minimal activity in 3 months (29 posts), whereas the WRT AC Series threads on the LEDE forum have seen activity almost every day.

Would you mind doing me and others here a favour and give us some links to these general threads?
I've been looking for the last 10 minutes now and i guess my google-fu is not good enough.

JohnnySL wrote:
JW0914 wrote:

Would you mind doing me and others here a favour and give us some links to these general threads?
I've been looking for the last 10 minutes now and i guess my google-fu is not good enough.

1. Navigate to LEDE's forum

2. Click on the magnifier in the upper right hand corner

3. Search terms:

• WRT3200ACM

• WRT1900ACS

• WRT1900AC

• WRT1200AC

@kaloz
Are you able to provide comment on the Wrt32x please?
I’m surprised it is not supported already. Is there a problem facing it?

Lantis wrote:

@kaloz
Are you able to provide comment on the Wrt32x please?
I’m surprised it is not supported already. Is there a problem facing it?

Please see the LEDE Forum, as this thread is dead and should remain so.

(Last edited by JW0914 on 10 Mar 2018, 15:12)

Or perhaps, do you expect to push the flash update patch to master, or is there some reason for not doing so.

Has anyone tried to do a 4.9.86 build today?

My attempts fail, while 4.14.23 builds just fine....

Thank you

I'm building 4.14.25 as I type, don't build 4.9.x anymore. Check menuconfig as there were new mvebu targets(Omnia,espressobin) pushed and there are new subtargets to pick, messed up my config a wee bit.

Villeneuve wrote:

I'm building 4.14.25 as I type, don't build 4.9.x anymore. Check menuconfig as there were new mvebu targets(Omnia,espressobin) pushed and there are new subtargets to pick, messed up my config a wee bit.

Hi will you be able to do me a build like before? I looked at your latest build 6400 I think and there a lot in the build that i don't use like all the bind and purl stuff.

Sure, I'm just looking back at the config.seed files to see if there is still one up there that was close to what things were.

Villeneuve wrote:

Interesting...  I use the same diffconfig for both 4.9 and 4.14

Will play around a bit... but it may be time to switch the mambas to 4.14

Thank you

The InkblotAdmirer patch does the job as regards the reboot on mamba running 4.14.x

Villeneuve wrote:

Sure, I'm just looking back at the config.seed files to see if there is still one up there that was close to what things were.

I have looked there is not.Just simple is good for me dude. Luci-ssl Luci-app-upnp Luci-app-sqm Luci-app-adblock luci-app-bcp38  luci-app-advanced-reboot luci-app-dnscrypt-proxy and curl.

JW0914 wrote:

Please see the LEDE Forum, as this thread is dead and should remain so.

I'm fully aware of both forums, and am simply posting where i know the intended user has recently and is mostly active.
Thanks for your concern.