OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Update on Linksys WRT1900AC support

The content of this topic has been archived between 16 Sep 2014 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

cristianbalan wrote:

You guys are a little bit confusing . I thought the new wifi drivers are included with new 1.0.8 . Do I have to install the wifi drivers manually?? I am running 1.0.8 coming from stock firmware .

McWrt is a fork of an old OpenWrt fork published by Linksys using the leaked old drivers. OpenWrt trunk has newer kernel and the new driver.

@Kaloz

wifi detect > /etc/config/wireless creates an empty file. That's before AND after manual install of kmod-mwl8k package. I'm going to wait until tomorrow when I will have a chance to go to the office and start a build myself.

nitroshift

(Last edited by nitroshift on 28 Dec 2014, 14:21)

Kaloz wrote:
cristianbalan wrote:

You guys are a little bit confusing . I thought the new wifi drivers are included with new 1.0.8 . Do I have to install the wifi drivers manually?? I am running 1.0.8 coming from stock firmware .

McWrt is a fork of an old OpenWrt fork published by Linksys using the leaked old drivers. OpenWrt trunk has newer kernel and the new driver.

Is there a complete image?

(Last edited by digitalgeek on 28 Dec 2014, 14:53)

Kaloz wrote:
cristianbalan wrote:

where can i download the openwrt trunk? ... do i just flash it like a normal firmware. thank you

@cristianbalan

The trunk image is still in alpha stage, it has no web interface, no out-of-the-box working WiFi, it needs to be toyed with in command line interface and is NOT for beginners. My advice is to wait a little bit until a full blown firmware is posted.

nitroshift

(Last edited by nitroshift on 28 Dec 2014, 18:22)

cristianbalan wrote:
Kaloz wrote:
cristianbalan wrote:

where can i download the openwrt trunk? ... do i just flash it like a normal firmware. thank you

Here is the complete image, download and flash, just like any other firmware. I would suggest  reading the wiki page first.
address will be 192.168.200.1, etc..This image doesn't have the new wife drivers, but is the latest MCWRT release. Perfectly
functioning software, that is more stable and better then the latest Belkin/Linksys release.

https://github.com/Chadster766/McWRT/releases

(Last edited by mojolacerator on 28 Dec 2014, 19:34)

I flashed Kaloz image, but the download speed was like 5MB/s where it's normally is 37MB/s, however the upload is what is what I use to see ~10MB/s
Reverted back to McWrt 1.0.8 and download speed back to 38MB/s, I did not enable Wifi because I don't know how to enable the new driver..

Wish you all a awesame new year :-)

mojolacerator wrote:
cristianbalan wrote:
Kaloz wrote:

Here is the complete image, download and flash, just like any other firmware. I would suggest  reading the wiki page first.
address will be 192.168.200.1, etc..This image doesn't have the new wife drivers, but is the latest MCWRT release. Perfectly
functioning software, that is more stable and better then the latest Belkin/Linksys release.

https://github.com/Chadster766/McWRT/releases

Is it possible to install the new WiFi in mcwrt 1.0.8...

Hi All,

I tried today the new Linksys official firmware just for fun... and when I tried to flash back the 1.0.8 mcwrt... just bricked !

Need to use the serial console to bring it to life again ! The problem was the same as another user in the topic (rename 30-button to 99-button script).

Just for information... iPV6 is broken with my 6rd (free / Freebox), I got a right ipv6 on wan and on the lan router but :

- the default gw is not ok, I need to add it manually with
ip -6 route add default via FE80:0:0:0:xxx:xxx:xxx dev eth1

then I can ping ipv6 addresses.

But no adresses are available on LAN clients...

Wish you the best thanks for yours efforts to make this router the real successor of the original wrt ;-)

Kaloz wrote:
cristianbalan wrote:

@Kaloz
How do you get wifi up? I dont see the file(s) in the OS mwlwifi.ko 88W8864.bin etc...

(Last edited by gufus on 29 Dec 2014, 04:06)

nitroshift wrote:

@cristianbalan

The trunk image is still in alpha stage, it has no web interface, no out-of-the-box working WiFi, it needs to be toyed with in command line interface and is NOT for beginners. My advice is to wait a little bit until a full blown firmware is posted.

nitroshift

Sorry, but you're wrong. If you have ever took a look, OpenWrt snapshots never had a web interface enabled by defaults, only RC and final images. Installing LuCI is pretty well documented in the wiki for years now.

gufus wrote:
Kaloz wrote:
cristianbalan wrote:

@Kaloz
How do you get wifi up? I dont see the file(s) in the OS mwlwifi.ko 88W8864.bin etc...

The latest snapshot has the new wifi driver integrated. You can follow the wireless configuration docs about how to configure the wifi interface manually and/or LuCI essentials on how to get the web interface up and running.

mojolacerator wrote:

...I then flashed Linksys firmware released earlier this month. Same thing, 2.4 streaming is perfect, 5ghz chokes, and thats with Linksys firmware. ...

Yeah, I raised the issue with their original firmware.

Do you have any other APs running nearby?

DavidMcWRT wrote:
nyt wrote:

GPL request submitted for the mrvl_wlan_v7 .c files hmm

I had been wondering if people hadn't really grasped the true purport of this:
https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 17#p257517

when it was posted, assuming this diff is the correct way around (another post has it the other way round), i.e. GPL notice has been removed.

THEY'VE CLOSED-SOURCED THE DRIVER CODE.

There is therefore nothing to "request", since it's not GPL any more.

Possibly. Or simply that previously they tacked on the header before distribution and simply forgot this time.

jklap wrote:
mojolacerator wrote:

...I then flashed Linksys firmware released earlier this month. Same thing, 2.4 streaming is perfect, 5ghz chokes, and thats with Linksys firmware. ...

Yeah, I raised the issue with their original firmware.

Do you have any other APs running nearby?

I'm now running an Asus N66U as an AP,  for stable 5ghz.

Linksys factory firmware runs good on 5ghz !!! The throughput it's okay

Silly question, if 1900AC is supposedly fully supported in near future, what will come for EA3500/EA4500? They are also using Marvell chip-set.

(Last edited by ximibaba on 29 Dec 2014, 23:17)

Kaloz wrote:
gufus wrote:
Kaloz wrote:

@Kaloz

The latest snapshot has the new wifi driver integrated. You can follow the wireless configuration docs about how to configure the wifi interface manually and/or LuCI essentials on how to get the web interface up and running.

Bingo!

We have a WINNER <grin>

What do you mean gufus.. should we update to 1.0.8?

gufus wrote:
Kaloz wrote:
gufus wrote:

@Kaloz

Bingo!

We have a WINNER <grin>

Followed the wireless configuration docs....
Wireless still not work:(

0%    SSID: OpenWrt | Mode: Unknown
Wireless is disabled or not associated

dobetter wrote:
gufus wrote:
Kaloz wrote:

Bingo!

We have a WINNER <grin>

+1
Same exact issue.

One thing I noticed is that I dont have kmod-mwl8k installed abd opkg doesn't find it

aharonprat wrote:
dobetter wrote:
gufus wrote:

Bingo!

We have a WINNER <grin>

+1
Same exact issue.

One thing I noticed is that I dont have kmod-mwl8k installed abd opkg doesn't find it

I installed this package "kmod-mwl8k",still not work:(

@aharonprat You must update the package list first.

Help please,
   Just installed debian 7.0 Wheezy and installed all the packages along with libssl-dev. I made a successful build of AA following the Build guide on the git wiki. However with CC I get images that are either 9MB or 11MB. What are the correct steps to compile a functioning CC image? 

Thank you!
   ~Gabe

@ do better & aharonprat

WiFi is working just fine here on latest trunk image that has the drivers included, no need for driver package to be installed. However, I noticed that I get only a fraction of normal speed on WAN.

nitroshift

(Last edited by nitroshift on 30 Dec 2014, 08:12)

@ lifehackisback

That's about the right size.

nitroshift

Sorry, posts 1801 to 1800 are missing from our archive.