OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Update on Linksys WRT1900AC support

The content of this topic has been archived between 16 Sep 2014 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

DavidMcWRT wrote:
lifehacksback wrote:
Kaloz wrote:

I've uploaded an image with 3.18.1 to https://downloads.openwrt.org/people/kaloz/ , which has all temperature sensors working (the ddr/wifi did not work on other images based on 3.18.x). It also has lm-sensors, so you can easily check temps with the "sensors" command.

This should have what most people need, please give it a spin (still looking into some sane way to start the fan automatically).

Hey! I'll flash this in a bit big_smile Thank You for uploading this! I was just wondering 2 things: 1 can you upload the config file? and 2 is this a minimal image (i don't mind command line but just wondering).  update: i see luci is installed from he packages on the linked server big_smile

What do you mean by ddr/wifi? As you can tell im a novice and dont really understand what everything is smile

Any real reason to flash Kaloz's image for those of us already running lifehacksback?

Way I see it:

* both have 3.18.1 (and luci) (and wifi)
+ lifehacksback's is possibly a more minimal build ?
+ Kaloz's has temperature sensors (but no fan speed adjustment)

Thanks to both of you though for your efforts smile

I've tried both, path of least resistance(ease of use ) = @lifehackisback's.

When going to read large files from hard drive using Samba or minidlna for wifi transfer freezes, Ethernet works well. This happens with all versions except McWRT sad

(Last edited by Okcizo on 4 Jan 2015, 22:15)

@DavidMcWRT

I try to make an image that is accessible to as many people as possible big_smile

Kaloz's image is even more minimal

@LookingForMyMojo

I tried to make it user friendly

Okcizo wrote:

When going to read large files from hard drive using Samba or minidlna for wifi transfer freezes, Ethernet works well. This happens with all versions except McWRT sad

I'm experiencing wifi hiccups too im trying to see if i can make an image with wlan-7 (available from Mcwrt AA) until mwlwifi become more stable smile

@Kaloz, would you be able to share the .config/any other modifications outside of git used to make the build you uploaded? It'd be a great starting point for those interested in creating their own builds. smile

lifehacksback wrote:
Okcizo wrote:

I'm experiencing wifi hiccups too im trying to see if i can make an image with wlan-7 (available from Mcwrt AA) until mwlwifi become more stable smile

@Lifehacksback FYI, MMilburn and I were working on this (via the McWRT project), but you'll need to also forward-port changes/hacks to hostapd since wlan-v7 relies on some Marvell/Linksys-specific changes there or you'll need to try and lift the previous package from the AA builds there and work forward from there with required updates to function with CC (we suspected a need for netifd-related changes, some of which were in the netifd-backport branch on McWRT where MMilburn backported the latest netifd to AA).

@mmilburn and I were discussing a path forward here the day before Marvell dropped the mwlwifi driver, but we basically shelved it because that driver looks to be a way better path forward generally.  Let me know how I can help there though especially if work on mwlwifi lags, we'll need a viable wireless driver (I'd take stability over pure speed/functions) sooner rather than later.

rip057 wrote:

i run crazy long gawk and sed scripts through this thing and i have seen the cpu top out at 100 for several minutes... please fix this

You can manually force the fan on by logging in to the router with ssh and then running:

echo 1 > /sys/devices/gpio_fan/hwmon/hwmon0/pwm1

This will put and keep the fan on (and likely at full speed).

You can then type:

echo 0 > /sys/devices/gpio_fan/hwmon/hwmon0/pwm1

to manually turn it off (permanently) again.

If you run Kaloz's most recent 3.18.1 build you should be able to run (in ssh):

sensors

to get temperature readings.

Flashed lifehacksback's build this morning and it's been running great all day cool

diblasio wrote:

Flashed lifehacksback's build this morning and it's been running great all day cool

lifehacksback's 3.18.1 build has been running for 4.5 hours for me now.

I've actually spent the evening reading the last 50 pages of posts, starting from Chadster's "This is completed smile" post right up to the present time.

While this was actually to look something up rather than anything nostalgic, I've ended up re-living the whole thing - the initial success and burst of activity with McWRT, through to Marvell seemingly close-sourcing the driver before then releasing the new upstreamable one and it being incorporated into Trunk, to the latest 3.18.1 Trunk CC builds.

A huge thanks to Chadster, Kaloz and lifehacksback - as well as all the others who have contributed along the way - for getting us to where we are now.

(Last edited by DavidMcWRT on 5 Jan 2015, 01:37)

Hi!

I've been installed lifehacksback's 3.18.1 build.
It is well running.
But, not installed kmod-pptp, luci-app-openvpn etc..
Not available --force-depends option.

I've been gone back to McWRT.

Kaloz wrote:

I've uploaded an image with 3.18.1 to https://downloads.openwrt.org/people/kaloz/ , which has all temperature sensors working (the ddr/wifi did not work on other images based on 3.18.x). It also has lm-sensors, so you can easily check temps with the "sensors" command.

This should have what most people need, please give it a spin (still looking into some sane way to start the fan automatically).

Vcool!

I'll flash it soon as I have time smile

Does the openwrt build have VLAN support? The stock firmware has support.

Great job guys!

Abitrary wrote:

Hi!

It is well running.

2 things

1: opkg update?

2: opkg --force-depends install kmod-pptp & opkg install luci-app-openvpn

does someone have a config file to work off of?  I ask cause i am gonna have to compile a horde of packages... although there are many available I need gawk,sed,ngrep,etc...etc... and i need to build the tool chain etc etc i dont want to just wing this part of it as i may just compile my own img with all pertinent things included

rip057 wrote:

does someone have a config file to work off of?  I ask cause i am gonna have to compile a horde of packages... although there are many available I need gawk,sed,ngrep,etc...etc... and i need to build the tool chain etc etc i dont want to just wing this part of it as i may just compile my own img with all pertinent things included

Here is my .config: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vh9ob67vf3n82 … onfig?dl=0

quite minimal with only luci and ext4 as an "extra"

lifehacksback wrote:
Abitrary wrote:

Hi!

It is well running.

2 things

1. sure
2. I do same method.

pptp is not work.(/etc/init.d/pptp is absent.)
openvpn appear at luci GUI but when select openvpn buton, it is appear error message.
kernel version is 3.18, pptp and openvpn version is 3.14

Sorry for my poor english.
Thank you for your reply.

Abitrary wrote:
lifehacksback wrote:
Abitrary wrote:

Hi!

It is well running.

2 things

1. sure
2. I do same method.

openvpn appear at luci GUI but when select openvpn buton, it is appear error message.

1: opkg --force-depends install openvpn
2: reboot
3: it should work

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------\

Tell me the names of the packages and ill try to build an image just for u smile

now i may be off on the wrong point, but there was an option in menuconfig for gawk in mcwrt obviously this is not the case in the menuconfig of mvebu  is this something i am just going to have to make from the actual sources from gnu.org?  or am i completely missing the ball

also whats going on with this pivot overlay i hear about

lifehacksback wrote:
Abitrary wrote:
lifehacksback wrote:

2 things

1. sure
2. I do same method.

1: opkg --force-depends install openvpn
2: reboot
3: it should work

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------\

Tell me the names of the packages and ill try to build an image just for u smile

It is not work after reboot.

The packages name is     luci-app-openvpn and kmod-pptp.

Thank you~~~

Thanks for the great work guys, mcwrt was great but openwrt is awesome, I have notice lower cpu usage and the deviceis running much cooler. But I have a couple of issues. I can n8t get usb devices working. I can set them up but the never show up in the home drive I setup. I also can not get openvpn working but that could be me, can any one point me in the right direction on help to set it up.

I did notice wifi on the 2.4g network only works wpa2-psk any other security type and the radio does not transmit

Yeah hmm it seems to be the wireless driver on my macbook under os X 10.10.1 that is causing the connection problems. Not only that but it seems every os except linux has a decrease in performance on wifi in CC compared to AA. Ex: Macbook (2008) using ubuntu 14.10 kernel 3.16, testmy.net on 5GHz wifi an average of 163.2 mbps while a 2010 imac connected via wifi running 10.10.1 has an average of 74.8 mbps. Both are next to my router. Wire performance is comparable amongst all os. Maybe is the drivers or maybe is a new way CC might be dealing with connections? Maybe the Marvell driver is a bit unstable? Personally i dont know, but i will have to flash AA until wifi works on my Macbook under OS X since linux kills the battery on my macbook. hmm

lifehacksback wrote:

Personally i dont know, but i will have to flash AA until wifi works on my Macbook under OS X since linux kills the battery on my macbook. hmm

Let me quess it kills it since you've upgraded os x wink

Kaloz wrote:

HA! smile Well I'm dual booting because i like linux much more than os x but sometimes i just need to surf the web and stuff and just need the extra battery life since: trackpad on linux is wonky and brightness cant be managed tongue

Do you have a fork repo where you do your work on the driver? Any updates you'd like to share?

Thank you for your work!

Update: could you upload ur config? I was looking through ur installed packages and it shows u enabled dnsmaq and ipv6tables etc while in mine i enabled dnsmsq6. Any difference? is one better than the other? i mean both our build have ipv6 working. also your build luci has the {N, auto} on the 2.4 radio while default bootstrap (mine) continues to default to {AC, 36} did u compile with a newer version of the wifi drivers? if so I cant wait till they are up-streamed big_smile  All the best smile

(Last edited by lifehacksback on 5 Jan 2015, 10:54)

lifehacksback wrote:
Kaloz wrote:

HA! smile Well I'm dual booting because i like linux much more than os x but sometimes i just need to surf the web and stuff and just need the extra battery life since: trackpad on linux is wonky and brightness cant be managed tongue

Well, touchpad is fine for me with Ubuntu 14.10 and 3.18.1. For the battery issue look at https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=85881 smile

lifehacksback wrote:

Do you have a fork repo where you do your work on the driver? Any updates you'd like to share?

Thank you for your work!

I push everything to trunk when it's ready. If you want to help in testing, I can provide interim images as well smile