OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: simple UPS for router

The content of this topic has been archived on 10 Mar 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Has anyone thought about making a simple UPS for a router? I'm thinking about two power diodes to allow either the battery (a rechargeable 9v will probably work nicely, using a resistor and diode to trickle charge it) or power supply to power the router, along with some circuits to detect main power loss and a transistor switch to turn off the battery back up after the router shuts down. (Make some connections to the GPIOs for that, and make the transistor only disconnect the battery so it can start from main power.) Program it to shut down only if the power is lost for a certain time to avoid nuisance shutdowns due to brief power failures, or even add a circuit to monitor the battery so it shuts down only when the charge runs low. (Also add a circuit to force the transistor switch off when the reset button is pressed to allow easy hard rebooting of a crashed router.)

GPIO is a limited resource, but I see some techniques that can be used to reuse some GPIOs. For instance, the power LED line can also switch on the transistor switch. Then only one more GPIO will be needed to monitor power status, and that can possibly be multiplexed with some function that does not interfere.

beakmyn wrote:

Yes,  I have
my conversation is here
http://netstumbler.org/showthread.php?t … hlight=ups

The Link to netstumbler.org ist not usefull for the most of us , because it requires a username and password
to log in , thats bad

I have always thought it would be cool to have a small battery backup for quick power outages since I seem to have at least one a month.  Wouldn't spend much money on it though since it doesn't really hurt the router when the power fails...

Well, I know nothing about electronics, but google groups is my friend.  Here is a link to a solution I think I might try.  It doesn't recharge the battery, but I dont think thats a big deal....

http://groups.google.com/group/sci.elec … ce73ce8800

you can run a wrt54g v3 off of a car battery, if you check the power supply its 12v @ 1000mA. Run it off a car battery and have a small car battery charger attached to the battery at the same time. Power gos out, the charger is dead, but you've still got the car battery's power.

Currently though, I've got an APC 300c UPS powering my router and modem. I removed the 180w fuse and replaced it with 300w, and threw a car battery and spare UPS battery in parrelel w/ the one thats already there. works for days.

edit: Well, okay, only 22 hours. but still.

(Last edited by ChemShadow on 11 Apr 2006, 05:45)

ExodusVI wrote:

Anybody know a Quick circuit to drop the 12vdc feed to 3.3v to direct run a Buffalo Unit?

High school physics, my friend
R = V / I where R = Resistance, V = Volts, and I = Amps

Anybody know a Quick circuit to drop the 12vdc feed to 3.3v to direct run a Buffalo Unit?

Best way would be a (Sorry, dont know the english word for "Spannungswandler/regler") Voltage-Changer like a

3.3V 0.25A V.R. L4931CD33 [STM]
Technische Daten
Typ:     L 4931 CD 33
Ausführung:     Very Low-Drop Voltage Reg.
Gehäuse:     SO 8
Hersteller:     ST Microelectronics®

(Found this one at conrad.de for about 1,- Euro) maybe the wor i search is "Voltage regulator"

Or the more widely used IC LM317 T TO 220

Technische Daten
Typ:     LM 317 T
Ausführung:     Spannungsregler 1,2 - 37 V/1,5 A
Gehäuse:     TO 220
Ausgangs-Spannung:     1.2 - 37 V
Ausgangsstrom:     1.5 A
Eingangsspannung:     40 V
max. Leistung:     20 W

(english datasheet: http://www2.produktinfo.conrad.com/date … LM317T.pdf )

(Last edited by gunni on 11 Apr 2006, 10:32)

It's even better to use a digital power supply that is more efficient than regular analog power supplies.

The discussion might have continued from here.