OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Tplink wr740n reverting official firmware

The content of this topic has been archived on 1 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I have installed openwrt to tplink router with following details but when i tried revert back to official firmware after uploading "openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr740n-v4-squashfs-sysupgrade " before resetting router but its jst come to default setting of openwrt , any help guys !!!!!

Router Name    OpenWrt
Router Model    TP-Link TL-WR740N/ND v4
Firmware Version     OpenWrt Attitude Adjustment 12.09 / LuCI 0.11.1 Release (0.11.1)
Kernel Version    3.3.8
Local Time    Wed May 14 14:39:47 2014
Uptime    0h 31m 15s
Load Average    0.00, 0.04, 0.10

How did you attempt to revert to stock firmware? Reset to default settings? That will just reset the settings, not the entire software. You will have to download a firmware image from TP-Link for your router and flash that. Note that some TP-Link firmware images have "boot" in their filename, the general recommendation seems to be to not flash these files from OpenWrt. They contain a bootloader update, and you should cut this out before flashing the image. It seems that there is no image for the WR740N without bootloader, so you will have to cut it with dd:

dd if=tplink.bin of=noboot.bin skip=257 bs=512

You should end up with noboot.bin exactly 3932160 bytes.

It will be more thankful if you please provide me full steps or video tutorial to get my official firmware ..

Plaese follow this: http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl- … l.firmware Note, that the steps are for slightly different model, use the right firmware for your device from tp link website.

(Last edited by nozombian on 15 May 2014, 12:49)

The discussion might have continued from here.