OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Support on WD Mynet N750

The content of this topic has been archived on 19 Mar 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

A WD Mynet N750 router was flashed with the Openwrt firmware using the instruction in the link http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/wd/n750.  After that, the password was set via telent.  Then, Luci was installed into the router.  It is then configured as a wireless Access Point through the Luci interface.  So far as good except that:-
1.  The 5GHz radio does not work (whereas the 2.4GHz works pretty well).
2.  All the LED indicator light at the front of the router does not work excepted the power LED indicator (although there is internet connection, wireless 2.4GHz radio is working, etc).

How can I fix:-
1.  the 5GHz radio cannot be enable problem even through it is turned on via LUCI,
2.  the internet LED indicator problem even through there is an internet connection through another router.  The WD Mynet N750 is set as Static IP in the WAN network with the DHCP turned off
3.  the wireless LED indicator problem - was the LED indicator turned off due to the 5GHz radio problem
4.  The WPS LED light problem - should I follow the instruction in the "WPS Push Button" section of the "WD My Net N750" wiki page to turn on both WPS and the LED indicator?

In addition, I read in the Steves Blog (https://www.crc.id.au/2014/01/10/wd-myn … rt-update/) that there are some firmware in the http://openwrt.crc.id.au/.  Will the image in this link fix my problems?

Thanks very much for your help in advance.

Which revision/build are you using?

The only LED on by default for this (and many other routers) is the power LED. The rest can be configured with Luci (system menu->LED configuraiton).

I have no problem with the 5 GHz radio here, so double check your settings or reset to default. It's possible you were unlucky and caught a bad nightly build also, so you could try upgrading to a newer one. You'll have to reinstall Luci and any other packages after upgrading.

You can try the images you linked, although I don't see any reason for them as the fixes he was working on have now been incorporated into the regular trunk builds.

yeah no probs here eather with 5ghz i am on r41581

or try this build it has a lot of packages in but it's a good build
https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=47382

(Last edited by tapper on 13 Jul 2014, 19:51)

The uploaded firmware version is OpenWrt Barrier Breaker r41581 / LuCI Trunk (svn-r10457).

I have just installed wifi analyzer and it can detect the 5GHz signal from WD MyNet N750,  However, in the Luci Wireless Overview screen, 0% (signal 0 dBm and bitrate: 0) is displayed under radio1.  So, it looks like that the status in Luci is not correct.  In addition, the 5GHz signal from Mynet N750 is weak.

With regards to the LED management tab in the Luci, what values are required to put in there to activate the internet, wifi and wps LED indicators?

No issues with 5GHz signal strength. Did you verify that yours works properly on stock firmware? Could be faulty hardware. If it has been opened, you should also check your antenna connections.

Read here for LED info. It's pretty easy if you read the background and just try it: http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/uci/system#leds

I have tried to google how to set up led light for WD mynet N750.  However, I was not able to find the information to set the LED light for this router.

I would like to:-
1.  wifi LED - on when wifi is ready for device to connect (via 2.4G or 2.5G)
                  - flash when there is wifi traffic
2.  Internet LED - on when internet is connected
                          - flash when there is internet traffic
3.  WPS - on when WPS is enabled

Can you please let me know how I can set this up via LUCI interface or using text commands?  Thanks.

Those are not quite straightforward:

chi.shing.lo wrote:

1.  wifi LED - on when wifi is ready for device to connect (via 2.4G or 2.5G)

I assume by "2.5G" you mean 5 GHz. While it is easy to configure an LED to indicate status and traffic of a wireless interface, an LED can only do so for one interface. So, either the 2.4 GHz or the 5 GHz wifi, not both.

2.  Internet LED - on when internet is connected

Edit: I just saw "The WD Mynet N750 is set as Static IP in the WAN network with the DHCP turned off" in your original post. With a static interface, how would the router know if the internet is up or down?

3.  WPS - on when WPS is enabled

I don't personally use WPS. There is a script for the wps button in /etc/button.rc, but it doesn't turn on the LED which should be easily remedied.

Personally, I don't use the LEDs on the front as they are labeled. I use the leftmost for WAN, the middle two ones for the 2.4GHZ and 5GHz Wifi, and the rightmost for something different.

(Last edited by metai on 24 Jul 2014, 13:22)

metai, Thanks for your reply.

1.  Wifi LED - Yes.  It was a typo.  2.5GHz should read 5GHz.  It is good enough just to show the status of the 2.4GHz.

2.  Internet LED - I think the stock firmware turn on the LED light when there is an internet connection.  When the LED light is off, there is no internet connection.  This is pretty important to me.  Recently, I have got a problem with my ISP.  The ISP sometimes do not issue a DHCP lease to my router.  So, when I check the internet LED, I know whether there is internet connection from the ISP.

3.  WPS LED - This is something nice to have.

I have recently flashed a few routers to DD-WRT and one router (WD Mynet N750) to Openwrt.  When I flashed routers with DD-WRT, I do not need to worry about the LED lights and they are set according to the rules of the stock firmware.  However, after flashed mynet N750 to Openwrt, only the power LED is turned on and all other LEDs are set to off regardless of the network status.  I was a bit surprise on that.

I am not a Linux developer.  So, it is a bit s steep to learn how to config the LED lights for the router.

Your help is mostly appreciated.

chi.shing.lo wrote:

1.  Wifi LED - Yes.  It was a typo.  2.5GHz should read 5GHz.  It is good enough just to show the status of the 2.4GHz.

Then go to LuCI, System -> LED Configuration
Select or create an LED by the LED name of "wd:blue:wireless" (the name above is not important, use it to identify)
Deselect default state on, assign "netdev" to trigger and "wlan0" to device, select all of "Link On", "Transmit" and "Receive"

When the LED light is off, there is no internet connection.  This is pretty important to me.

But the router has no way of knowing if there's an internet connection if the WAN interface is set to static. The device (I guess your ISP's modem) is plugged in and responding, even if the internet is not.

I guess one could create a script that pings the outside world on a regular basis, but that would be a pretty ugly hack and would update nowhere near real time.

However, after flashed mynet N750 to Openwrt, only the power LED is turned on and all other LEDs are set to off regardless of the network status.  I was a bit surprise on that.

You are right, the LED configuration on the WD N750 is a bit incomplete. Most of the OpenWrt binaries for the routers come at least with Wifi, WAN and LAN LEDs pre-configured. The WD N750 doesn't have LAN LEDs on the front, but I don't know why the other two were omitted. (Edit: It just occurred to me that this may be because the actual LED for the WAN interface is on the back, too, and rather than have the Wifi LED for the wrong Wifi interface it is left unassigned.)

I am not a Linux developer.  So, it is a bit s steep to learn how to config the LED lights for the router.

Oh, you don't have to be a Linux developer for that. It can mostly be done through LuCI, or worst case through some very small shell scripts.

(Last edited by metai on 24 Jul 2014, 17:16)

After followed the instruction on the wifi LED light, it is now configured to display the status of the 2.4GHz (wlan0) traffic.  Thanks for the instruction.
smile

Then, I was playing around with the internet LED light and delete the configuration after that.  After the deletion (and it is disappeared in the LUCI), the internet LED light is still flashing.  I think that the delete function may not be 100%.

In addition, I did use wifi analyzer (an Android app) to check the wifi signals from the WD Mynet N750 which is configured as an access point.  I can see the signals from the router in both 2.4G and 5G radios.  However, the status shown in LUCI are 0% in both 2.4G and 5G.  Is this normal?  Is there any way to find out whether the access point is configured correctly?

chi.shing.lo wrote:

Then, I was playing around with the internet LED light and delete the configuration after that.  After the deletion (and it is disappeared in the LUCI), the internet LED light is still flashing.  I think that the delete function may not be 100%.

If you delete the LED configuration for one LED, it will stay the way you set it last. (Up until a reboot, that is.)

the status shown in LUCI are 0% in both 2.4G and 5G.  Is this normal?

It doesn't do that for me, however, I am actually at a loss about what that percent value means. It is labeled "signal", maybe someone else can shed some light on this?

Is there any way to find out whether the access point is configured correctly?

Well, does it work when you try to connect? If you didn't change anything besides the authentication and maybe change the channel, it is configured correctly.

(Last edited by metai on 29 Jul 2014, 13:12)

The 0% are normal if nothing is associated to the radio because then there is no quality to measure.

After reboot the router, the deleted LED configuration is off.  So, it is working as normal.

With regards to the wifi status, the name of the SSID was changed to a name which is different from the main router.  My notebook is then connected to the new SSID.  The wifi status is shown as Non-0%.  The same procedure is done on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz.  So, I think it is working OK.  That means it looks like that my devices are connected to the network via the main router (not through the access point which is flashed with Openwrt).

Thanks very much for the help from Metai and Jow.

The discussion might have continued from here.