OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Pogoplug Mobile - Potentially the Best OpenWRT Platform @ $10 shipped

The content of this topic has been archived between 8 Feb 2018 and 30 Apr 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

King0fK0ng wrote:
johnisaacson wrote:

@KingofKong
You mentioned "I'm able to boot OpenWRT AA 12.09 from USB flash drive on the Pogoplug E02 ".
I have a couple of these. Can you provide a bit of detail. I have flashed the internal memory but could not get the usbflash drive to work.

Thanks
~john

Hi John,

I used this tutorial - http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/dockstar_sandbox, specifically the "Installing OpenWRT onto a USB stick or HDD" section.

Are you saying you got OpenWRT running on internal flash memory, but couldn't get it to work on usb flash?

KK

I extracted the CC rootfs file system to an ext2 formatted partition on a USB drive and copied the uImage file to the root folder but that did not boot on an E02. I then copied the dtb file into the root folder too but to no avail.

In both cases, the E02 is booting into the Rescue System. (I should point out that I am able to boot Debian from a USB stick).

Any debug pointers will be greatly appreciated.

Updated: ::facepalm:: boot, not root folder

(Last edited by unmesh on 29 Feb 2016, 06:25)

In my opnion this Pogoplug Mobile 128MB used to be a good OpenWRT platform,
but now here comes the NanoPi Neo and NanoPi M1, which could be the best OpenWRT platform:

NanoPi Neo Quad-core 1.2GHz 256MB/512MB for $7.99

CPU: Allwinner H3, Quad-core Cortex-A7 Up to 1.2GHz
DDR3 RAM: 256MB/512MB
Connectivity: 10/100M Ethernet
USB Host: Type-A x 1, 2.54 mm pin x 2
MicroSD Slot x 1
MicroUSB: for data transmission and power input
Debug Serial Port: 4Pin, 2.54 mm pitch pin header
GPIO: 2.54mm pitch 36pin. It includes UART, SPI, I2C, IO etc
PCB Dimension: 40 x 40 mm
Power Supply: DC 5V/2A
OS/Software: u-boot and UbuntuCore, Armbian, OpenWRT

//wiki.friendlyarm.com/wiki/index.php/NanoPi_NEO

NanoPi M1 Quad-Core 1.2GHz 512MB/1G for $12.99 with powerful GPU, HDMI, IR receiver

CPU: Allwinner H3, Quad-core Cortex-A7@1.2GHz
GPU: Mali400MP2@600MHz,Supports OpenGL ES2.0
DDR3 RAM:512MB/1GB
Connectivity: 10/100M Ethernet
Audio: 3.5mm audio jack/Via HDMI
Microphone: Onboard microphone
IR Receiver: Onboard IR receiver
USB Host:Type A, USB 2.0 x 3
MicroSD Slot x 1
MicroUSB: for data transmission and power input, OTG
Video Output: HDMI 1.4 1080P, CVBS
DVP Camera Interface: 24pin, 0.5mm pitch FPC seat
Debug Serial Port: 4Pin, 2.54mm pitch pin header
GPIO: 2.54mm spacing 40pin, compatible with Raspberry Pi's GPIO. It includes UART, SPI, I2C, IO etc
User Key: Power LED x 1, Reset x 1
PC Size: 64 x 50mm
Power Supply: DC 5V/2A
OS/Software: u-boot,Ubuntu MATE,Debian, Armbian, OpenWRT

//wiki.friendlyarm.com/wiki/index.php/NanoPi_M1

^ no openwrt support = no deal ^ ...yet

maurer wrote:

^ no openwrt support = no deal ^ ...yet

they've already been supported

Hi,

Any guide to boot the OpenWrt for Pogoplug from USB?

CustomHardware wrote:

Hi,

If you are willing to use a 3-rd party uboot from Bodhi, then have a look here.

grayman4hire wrote:

Nice to see my blog getting some love!

Let me know if you guys have any questions.

I like your blog very much!

But it seems all the links on your blog down now.

And could you give some advice about how to update the pogoplug v4 with the latest 2016.05 uboot and CC15.05.1?

(Last edited by silicat on 2 Oct 2016, 00:24)

mazilo wrote:
CustomHardware wrote:

Hi,

Hi Mazilo,

Have you got it working with Bodhi's uboot? I've been trying for a few weeks with the uImage and then bootz with the zImage and I just can't seem to get it to work. I get to a point where the pogoplug led is green but I can't reach it on any IP, or as a dhcp client so I don't think it's booting properly. I just want to boot openwrt from hard drive/usb using bodhi's uboot.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

(Last edited by jeanlucpicard on 24 Oct 2016, 17:53)

jeanlucpicard wrote:
mazilo wrote:
CustomHardware wrote:

Hi,

Hi Mazilo,

Have you got it working with Bodhi's uboot? I've been trying for a few weeks with the uImage and then bootz with the zImage and I just can't seem to get it to work. I get to a point where the pogoplug led is green but I can't reach it on any IP, or as a dhcp client so I don't think it's booting properly. I just want to boot openwrt from hard drive/usb using bodhi's uboot.

Both my PogoPlug Pro 02 and Seagate GoFLEX Home devices are running OpenWRT with Bodhi's u-boot. The GoFLEX Home was already running Bodhi's u-boot when I bought it off eBay for $1.

Any insight would be appreciated.

If you are using the new image build process, perhaps you may want to read this post if your device is using Bodhi's u-boot.

mazilo wrote:

If you are using the new image build process, perhaps you may want to read this post if your device is using Bodhi's u-boot.

Hmmm I used the kirkwood generic rootfs, and zImage files when booting from hard drive on a pogoplug v4. I got the pogoplug v4 dtb file from Qui's Technology Blog and I even tried the dtb for pogoplug v4 from Bodhi on Jeff Doozan forums since I don't see it in the Chaos Calmer directory for the v4.

I guess I need a dtb created directly by the Openwrt maintainers or I just need a different model?

(Last edited by jeanlucpicard on 23 Dec 2016, 09:06)

The discussion might have continued from here.