OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Bridge not created after update to BB-RC1

The content of this topic has been archived on 17 Oct 2015. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hello,
I've upgraded my Linksys E2000 (bcm47xx) from r40772 to 14.07-rc1, r41580 (now using the subdevice mips74k image) keeping my configuration. I'm using OpenWRT as bridged AP, DNS and DHCP being external. After the upgrade, my bridge over Ethernet and Wi-Fi doesn't get created automatically as before, I manually have to execute `brctl addif br-lan wl0`. Has anything changed in configuration syntax? Here the relevant parts of uci:

network.eth0=switch
network.eth0.name=switch0
network.eth0.reset=1
network.eth0.enable=1
network.eth0.enable_vlan=1
network.eth0_1=switch_vlan
network.eth0_1.device=switch0
network.eth0_1.vlan=1
network.eth0_1.ports=0 1 2 3 4 8
network.lan=interface
network.lan.ifname=eth0
network.lan.type=bridge
network.lan.proto=static
network.lan.hostname=OpenWrt
network.lan.ipaddr=192.168.0.2
network.lan.netmask=255.255.255.0
network.lan.gateway=192.168.0.1

wireless.wl0=wifi-device
wireless.wl0.type=broadcom
wireless.@wifi-iface[0]=wifi-iface
wireless.@wifi-iface[0].device=wl0
wireless.@wifi-iface[0].mode=ap
wireless.@wifi-iface[0].network=lan

Thank you.

I am experiencing the same issue on Asus RT-N16 (mips74k, wl). It is not only related to this latest revision (r41580) but also to one at least 3 weeks old (if I knew how to extract this information from the sources, I would post it here).

It seems to me like it ignores

oskarwerner wrote:

wireless.@wifi-iface[0].network=lan

Edit: You should create a ticket for this.

(Last edited by ethicius on 24 Jul 2014, 17:43)

Several people seem to be, and they are all either using broadcom wireless or non-'wlanX' network names. Nobody's posted their hostapd.conf yet though, which would determine where the problem lies.

qasdfdsaq wrote:

Several people seem to be, and they are all either using broadcom wireless or non-'wlanX' network names. Nobody's posted their hostapd.conf yet though, which would determine where the problem lies.

I tried to find it on my system and after I failed I did a quick google search and came up with that it's related to mac80211. Since I and the OP use wl, there is no reason for it to be present. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Ah, that might explain it. Normally hostapd is responsible for adding the interface to the bridge once created. Going from AA to BB they switched from the legacy 'wifi' scripts to a netifd-based system. I don't know what the underlying changes are but it could be that something for legacy drivers has been missed out or deprecated.

I just tried to reproduce this with current trunk and there it works with BCM4716 wifi. Does this problem still exist for you in trunk?

The discussion might have continued from here.