OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Self configuring image for router making remote deployment simple.

The content of this topic has been archived on 25 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi,

I want to create a Openwrt image that can easily be installed by low tech users to replace TP LINK router firmware through router web interface so making new OpenWRT deployments simple. Once firmware image has been installed and router rebooted LAN IP DHCP and WIFI SSID are already configured, WAN port set as DHCP client etc so nothing for user to do and router just plugs in and works.

How can I do this ? It must be possible as other companies are doing it.,

best regards

Ralph.

You need to create a personal firmware build with "custom files". You can add whatever files you want on top of the basic firmware to create a final firmware to be flashed.
http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/build#custom.files

Those custom files can be your config files that override the default Openwrt ones.

I am doing that for my own build.

If identical settings for each router are ok for you, then that should be enough. The router might work right out of the flash.
(You can set wireless options for many routers so that you can avoid giving exact hardware MAC addresses in config.)

Second option:
If you need different settings for site A and site B, create a directory where you store the settings as Openwrt settings backups. They can then be restored via Luci GUI.

(You configure one router for site A, and "backup" its settings via Luci GUI to create the settings archive file, e.g. /etc/Settings_for_company_X/Site_A.tar.gz. Then the same for site B. So that all optional settings are stored in the same directory in the firmware and the low-level tech can select the correct archive to restore.)

(Last edited by hnyman on 28 Jul 2014, 17:24)

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. I simply want an image that low tech users can upgrade their TP LINK routers with through the web interface and and install OpenWRT and once the router reboots everything works with zero touch. So when I create the custom files I can set LAN IP, DHCP scope, SSID and add whatever packages I choose and enable auto start for these packages ?? Apologies but not an expert on compiling an OpenWRT image.

Your help is appreciated.

kind regards

Ralph

kingralph wrote:

... install OpenWRT and once the router reboots everything works with zero touch. So when I create the custom files I can set LAN IP, DHCP scope, SSID and add whatever packages I choose and enable auto start for these packages ??...

Yes.

Best would be if you create an own Openwrt compilation environment (buildroot toolchain) and really compile it, but you could probably do the same with "imagebuilder" which enables you you avoif the actual low-level compilation.

Buildroot: http://wiki.openwrt.org/about/toolchain
Imagebuilder: http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/obtai … e.generate

All you have to do is include a wireless configuration file. Everything else is already done automatically by Openwrt.

You don't need to compile anything. You just need to add a single file with Image Builder.

hi

i need a completed development and installation steps for openwrt Luci in Beaglebone black, any one provide the clear link pls
after cross-complile completed how i can take the image to flash the beaglebone black

The discussion might have continued from here.