OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Another brick in the wall? wgt634U

The content of this topic has been archived on 6 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Seems that I too have bricked my 634U. I had Openwgt installed, something went wrong when updating the package list - don't ask me what, but afterwards there was nearly nothing left on the mounted partitions...
Since then, I have cut up two mobile phone data cables (one serial and one USB) and get no response when connecting with ms hyperterm, minicom or screen. I have wired the cables as described on nomis, sarwiki et al., set the parameters to 115200 8N1, no or software flow control - nothing.
In addition, I noticed that there is a voltage of about 3.3 volt on both the RX _and_ the TX pin of the wgt's serial port. Can somebody please confirm whether this is normal? Besides, does anybody have any idea what I might have done wrong and what else I could try to get a serial console?

Grateful for every hint,
Markus

Hi Maf.

Seems like you did an ipkg upgrade with an old firmware. It results with a very beautiful Kernel Panic smile Ya I know, it's not only the kernel who panics but you too (I was into the same position about 2 weeks ago).

If you have the chance to obtain an official Siemens C55 datacable, cut it off. There is like 7 wires inside it.

Go to the link below to find the pinouts :

http://pinouts.ru/data/siemens_c55_pinout.shtml

Here are the interesting ones :

Vcc = Red
Tx = Black
Rx = Orange
Gnd = Brown

Hope this will help you.

Hi givemelove,

thanks for the tips. I am not sure what did it in the end, but resetting the wgt634U by holding down the reset button for two minutes - first while running and then directly before connecting the power - and letting it rest on my desk while looking for an asus wl-500g deluxe on the net wink seems to have worked. I haven't changed my cable wiring or minicom settings or anything - but I finally got the CFE smile
It's still weird, but at least it works again and I'm currently (a) happy and (b) in the process of compiling openWRT...

thanks again,
Markus

(Last edited by maf on 14 Apr 2006, 17:48)

The discussion might have continued from here.