OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: WNDR3800 WAN Port 100Mb/s only

The content of this topic has been archived on 6 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi,

I can't make sense of the WAN port speeds of two WNDR3800 routers, one with BB 14.07, the other with original firmware 1.0.0.48.

I have connected the WAN port (eth1) of the Barrier Breaker WNDR3800  to one of the LAN ports of a FRITZ!Box 7390. Both ports are supposed to be gigabit ports. But the color of the WAN port's LED (orange) and ethertool tell me its fast ethernet connection only:

Settings for eth1:
        Supported ports: [ TP MII ]
        Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                                1000baseT/Half 1000baseT/Full
        Supported pause frame use: No
        Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
        Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                                1000baseT/Half 1000baseT/Full
        Advertised pause frame use: No
        Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
        Speed: 100Mb/s
        Duplex: Full
        Port: MII
        PHYAD: 4
        Transceiver: external
        Auto-negotiation: on
        Current message level: 0x000000ff (255)
                               drv probe link timer ifdown ifup rx_err tx_err
        Link detected: yes

If I use the second WNDR3800 (with the original firmware) in the same spot, its WAN port LED is green for a gigabit link.

If I then connect the WAN port of the Barrier Breaker WNDR3800 to one of the LAN ports of the second WNDR3800, that LAN port's LED is green (gigabit) while the WAN port's LED stays orange (fast ethernet). But ethertool now reports a gigabit link:

Settings for eth1:
        Speed: 1000Mb/s

It seems, the color of WAN port's LED does not properly reflect the port's speed in Barrier Breaker. Is that something I can configure?

What might be the reason I don't get a gigabit connection to the FRITZ!Box with Barrier Breaker as I do with the Netgear firmware?

Thanks,
Malte

I don't think that the WNDR#700/WNDR3800 wan LED changes color according to the wan connection speed in Openwrt. To my knowledge, we can control the color in LED options in Luci (or in /etc/config/system). We can basically toggle between green and yellow.

I wrote in 2012 a hotplug script to change the color, but haven't really used it:
https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 50#p153850

The script monitors 'ifup' actions from 'wan' interface, then queries the link speed and sets the wan LED to green if speed=1000, otherwise to yellow.

Place this into a new file named  /etc/hotplug.d/iface/99-wanspeed and it should work:

#!/bin/sh

if [ "$ACTION" = ifup ]; then
        if [ "$INTERFACE" = "wan" ] ; then
                SPEED=$(cat /sys/class/net/eth1/speed)
                if [ "$SPEED" = "1000" ] ; then
                        logger "ifup $INTERFACE, speed $SPEED: set wan LED to green"
                        echo "1" > /sys/class/leds/netgear\:green\:wan/brightness
                else
                        logger "ifup $INTERFACE, speed $SPEED: set wan LED to yellow"
                        echo "0" > /sys/class/leds/netgear\:green\:wan/brightness
                fi
        fi
fi

I briefly tested that in my WNDR3800 and wan LED changes to green.

(Last edited by hnyman on 9 Mar 2016, 15:21)

There is some kind of negotiation problem on mine.   I don't even get a WAN address until I run the ethtool command to force 100Mpbs on the WAN port.    The modems's internet light also stays out until the ethtool command gets run, then it lights up yellow for 100Mps.   (It supports gigabit, but something on the WNDR3800 doesn't allow it to connect full speed)

The discussion might have continued from here.