OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Setup USB tethering with iPad

The content of this topic has been archived between 18 Apr 2018 and 29 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

timb wrote:

Now, here's the key that took me forever to figure out: You have to actually start usbmuxd for the Ethernet interface to become available! Just type 'usbmuxd' to start it, plug in your iPhone (with tethering turned on)

Just got this working on a HooToo TM06!  I just added 'usbmuxd' to LUCI>System>Startup>Local Startup!  I don't mind pressing 'trust' every time!
THANK YOU!

I'm sorry because I'm new to this forum I couldn't find where can i post the new topic.

Please help thanks so mch

jeko wrote:

After some hours (and days) of debugging,I've found that the folder who UUID.plist are stored /var/lib/lockdown is erased at each reboot...

So I've created a script to backup those files each minute and restore it at each boot.

I've also managed to fit all necessary on a 4MB size firmware but without LuCI.
It is based on the last OpenWRT 15.05 Chaos Calmer and all is pre-configured.

TL-MR3020

TL-WR703N

After many tests, the best way to connect an iPhone is:

1. Inactive Internet sharing
2. Connect iPhone via USB
3. At asked, "Trust" the device
4. Active internet sharing
5. The blue band will appears on the top of the screen
    (if not after 30sec, inactive and reactive internet sharing)
6. Leave all connected at least one minute so the script can do its job

To test if the file has been created, disconnect and reconnect the iPhone. If the dialog "Trust" appears, validate and wait one minute again. When the connection is automatic, you're gone.

At each reboot, the internet sharing will be automatically activated

A log is stored in /etc/lockdown/lockdown.log

Hi Jeko, thanks so much for sharing or firmware package, it worked perfectly for me on my TL-MR3020!

I am curious to know if your lockdown.sh is still working as described. I am running an iPhone 6s with iOS 11.2.5 and am getting asked to "Trust" every time I reconnect my iPhone to the MR3020. I'd love to avoid that extra step.

Please let me know if you'd like any additional info!

Thanks again.

(Last edited by sidneyj on 8 Feb 2018, 18:43)

I just take my SIM that has the data package only enabled and put it in a USB modem, plug that into the OpenWRT build called Rooter from OfModemsAndMen.com loaded onto a $25 GL-AR150 from Amazon and I share the connection among all the nearby devices including the tablet where I removed the SIM.   Works flawlessly.

*** P.S. When buying a cheap used USB modem on eBay, pay attention to the modem suffix after the model number because the same model is sold in different countries with different supported bands, the suffix indicates which bands it supports. The USBmodem/Rooter combo is normally cheaper than buying a mifi device and supports different country bands, as stated.

**** PPS Also note that a number of 4M routers are also supported including the ($7 US) A5-V11 (plus some model clones) and with full Luci interfaces as well as support for all listed modems, plus there is the option of other routers that the package lists, 4M, 8M and higher.

******* PPPS I personally use the more expensive 8M GL-AR150 because it provides room for other Optware packages like OpenVPN and ad blocking packages with a pixel jpg server, plus a printer and other packages.  However I also have several A5-V11 clones which run this basic Rooter port of OpenWRT quite well and my modems work just as well on those.  The A5-V11 has about a 40% higher current draw than the GL model but usually no sweat for a typical interface to run the modem and router with 500mA.   If you buy the A5-V11 clones on eBay, it's a chance you'll get the correct one or one that can easily take the OW upgrade.  Shoot for the black model that says "3G Router 150M" and if you can read the label on the back the password is "12345678" to increase your chances of receiving a OpenWRT flashable device.  (Note the 3G means nothing with the new firmware and 4G is supported.)  Also note that you cannot flash OpenWRT directly to many of these A5-V11 clones, you have to telnet and use the MTD command to replace both the bootloader with OW compatible and kernel with a mini version of OpenWRT (preferably with Luci and DHCP) and from that interface you then do a normal firmware upgrade to the Rooter version of OpenWRT.

(Last edited by DonJuane on 17 Feb 2018, 18:55)

The discussion might have continued from here.