OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: TP-Link CPE 210

The content of this topic has been archived between 6 Apr 2018 and 29 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hello everyone, im new to this Forum and i want to ask a few things.
i recently bought a TP-link cpe 210 to use it as access point for 30 - 40 users but every 4-5 days i have to unplug and plug again to power socket becouse it wont allow any other devices to connect. TP link told me that is firmware limited to 20 users for better performance.
anyway i want to ask if is possible to install open wrt to this device... is it easy?
i have found these two firmware.
1. https://downloads.openwrt.org/chaos_cal … actory.bin   
2. https://downloads.openwrt.org/chaos_cal … pgrade.bin
all i need to do is upgrade from the web interface like i do with the original firmware?
thanks .

(Last edited by ghk84 on 4 Aug 2016, 16:49)

being a dual chain device it should handle at least 100 users without problem, especially since they advertise better spectrum use with MAXtream TDMA technology. anything else from their side are lame excuses.

as long as i remember openwrt does not support this device properly at the moment, but there is a patch in LEDE website that enables LNA so it could work.

No one can help you, we can guide only, you need to read & learn
Consider this, TL is right about number of Clients
210 works ok on Openwrt, 510 does not
I advise you first to Check if you are going to be able to go back to factory firmware
I could never with Win XP and Win 10 only with Win 7
Try this http://forum.tp-link.com/showthread.php … Pharos-CPE
And once you decide flash from here https://downloads.openwrt.org/chaos_cal … x/generic/
Has LuCi interface
If you decide for Lede no interface on flash you will have to install via SSH

(Last edited by danymarc on 4 Aug 2016, 22:13)

so i just need to install it from tplink web ui in the device menu like a normal firmware?
are those the correct? what goes first?
openwrt-15.05.1-ar71xx-generic-a02-rb-w300n-squashfs-factory.bin
openwrt-15.05.1-ar71xx-generic-a02-rb-w300n-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin

There is no first or second
From factory you flash Factory only
When there is an upgrade in future you use sysupgrade
NOTE THAT YOU ARE SELECTING THE WRONG FIRMWARES
you need this one https://downloads.openwrt.org/chaos_cal … actory.bin
At your own risk, cause you don't even know the OpenWrt basics

ok thanks, its true i am not familiar with the open wrt but i must learn how to use it, i believe it will solve
the limited users issue , also it has a tone of other features i am interested to know.
Thank you for your support.

i succesfully installed openwrt with luci on my cpe 210, i cant find an option for bandwidth control per ip.
can anyone help?
also i cant get the power beyond 23dbm (200mw)...  why is this?

(Last edited by ghk84 on 20 Aug 2016, 16:07)

anyone guys????

Sorry,i still didn't understand if i can install openwrt on my cpe510..is it possible? Everything works? (Or,at least the tx radio)..thanks in advance

Yes, image for CPE210/510 is the same and is working on both of them (I have both)

And works better than original one?  Also, I have the 1.1 version, can I install it without problems?? Thanks in advice

Hi,

I just received my TP-Link CPE210.

I already used OpenWRT and successfully installed it on my TP-Link CPE510.

I am facing a problem when I try to install OpenWRT on my TP-Link CPE210.
Whenever I go to System -> Firmware Update (using the default factory OS - Pharos), and try to upload the openwrt firmware it says "Failure" without providing any other information.

Can anyone help me?

I recently bought a CPE 210 which yields the following model_string:

CPE210(TP-LINK|EU|N300-2):1.1

(notice the "EU" in the string). As this model string is not contained in cpe510_support_list[]  of tools/firmware-utils/src/tplink-safeloader.c it cannot be installed regularily.

The lede project's firmware includes this model string. I installed the lede firmware and then used sysupgrade --force to upgrade to openwrt (actually I installed the berlin freifunk version kathleen-0.2.0).

Everything seems to work. Could anyone add the above model_string to the openwrt source tree?

Im having an issue with regular firmware on CPE 210
I have 3 of them
First one is AP
Second one is AP Client Router which acts as QUOTES "Repeater"
Third one is Client for the 2nd one

I triangulate if thats the word

When I try to open anything from the web on 3rd one (thats connected to the 2nd one), connection between 1st and 2nd gets super poor or even disconnected

Will I be able to do this "repeater" mode with openwrt on the 3 of them?

Do you have good RF signal between 1-2 and 2-3?  Consider that they have directional antennas, so making a chain with one in the middle that can relay to both ends can be a problem.

Assuming the signal is OK, these are ath9k devices which have a very good mesh mode built into the open drivers so no problem to make it work on OpenWrt.  A mesh treats the units as equal peers so they are rather seamlessly bridged together.

Has anyone tried with CPE-200, the 20db version?

someone can confirm, what S1 and S2 are in CPE510: https://s22.postimg.org/9v4x01clp/cpe510_board.jpg

there are also in TL-WR802N named SW2, SW3 and in TL-MR22U named U2, U3
http://blog.ich8.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/01.jpg

it is not the first time i've encountered different electrical designations for the identical components across different tp-link boards. is it a TX/RX switch or LNA? because AR9331 boards don't have it, AR9531 do have it.

Hi, i flashed the openwrt firmware and for my surprise it didn't come with LuCi. i tried to upload the sysupgrade to /temp/ when i connect via sftp it closes right away after login.
tried to flash stock firmware with tftp on windows 10, and windows 7 it flashes all the way to 100% but when it reboots still has openwrt on it.
tried to install LuCi with ssh but it says error stablishing conection, etc
i honestly don't know what to do, please could someone walk me thru to flash stock?

christoph.scholz wrote:

I recently bought a CPE 210 which yields the following model_string:

CPE210(TP-LINK|EU|N300-2):1.1

(notice the "EU" in the string). As this model string is not contained in cpe510_support_list[]  of tools/firmware-utils/src/tplink-safeloader.c it cannot be installed regularily.

The lede project's firmware includes this model string. I installed the lede firmware and then used sysupgrade --force to upgrade to openwrt (actually I installed the berlin freifunk version kathleen-0.2.0).

Everything seems to work. Could anyone add the above model_string to the openwrt source tree?

Please... can you explain with a simple how to (i have the same problem)...

Thanks

Christoph, thx for mentioning the "EU" in the string - flashed it.

Apocalipsi, to get there, edit the mentioned file in your OpenWrt tree,
openwrt/tools/firmware-utils/src/tplink-safeloader.c
and add the following entry
"CPE210(TP-LINK|EU|N300-2):1.1\r\n"
somewhere amoungst the other similar entries.
Then recompile.

Guys I'm trying to understand all that is going on. I want o flash openWRT on my CPE210 v1.1. I'v red everything. I still can't get what to do because everyone is saying his own. Is there an image that supports v1.1 and has LuCI preinstalled? If not is there an image without Luci for v1.1? If not how do I edit safeloader with what you said and then recompile it - direct me to the right post if it exists? (I don't have linux and I 'm not very familiar with it)

(Last edited by Basilis81 on 19 Jun 2017, 08:00)