OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Need faster dropbear binary

The content of this topic has been archived on 13 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I cannot exceed ~400 KB/s with an scp (blowfish) from LAN to /tmp which is not enough for my requirements and my 16Mbit adsl2+ connection which is going online tomorrow (using an WL500gd). If it is not too much effort, could someone build a faster package for me?
In dropbear's option.h there is an option called DROPBEAR_SMALL_CODE, which can be undefined to accelerate things. Maybe gcc's optimization flags would also help to some extend. I can live with a larger binary.

/* Set this if you want to use the DROPBEAR_SMALL_CODE option. This can save
* several kB in binary size, however will make the symmetrical ciphers (AES,
* DES etc) slower (perhaps by 50%). Recommended for most small systems. */
#define DROPBEAR_SMALL_CODE

Thanks in advance
J.Ruhe

(Last edited by jruhe on 22 May 2006, 22:50)

It's relatively easy to build your own packages using the SDK. Anyways, why not use ftp or ttcp if you need high transfer-rates?

If someone else could do it I would prefer this way, because I had to install Linux, the SDK and get used to the build process. My knowlege about Linux, gcc and make is also limited as I am a Java devoloper since years. Yes, I could run a normal FTP server but would prefer sftp or scp.

J.Ruhe

You need a router with more powerful CPU if You want high transfer rates with encrypted traffic (or simply do the crypto stuff on your desktop and not on the router).

The annoying point is, that the WL500gd has a on-chip 75Mbit/s cryto-accelerator  but I am afraid we will never see a driver for it (ubsec e.g.).
I think with a little bit of optimization (see first posting) one can double encrypted throughput without hardware-acceleration. A 200 Mhz CPU should be able to  achieve this.

j.Ruhe

The discussion might have continued from here.