OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Buildroot Q: how best to force rebuild of a package?

The content of this topic has been archived on 27 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

What's the 'correct' way to force a rebuild of a package?  I am trying to build Qt/E and Konqueror and I have to make tweaks to some of the header files.  Make doesn't pick up on the changes (no surprise).

So how do I tell make to force a rebuild of a single package, no matter if there are .configure and .built files present?

Thanks,

--Yan

You can use any of the following:

make package/foo-clean (wipes out the ipkg and the directory in build_mipsel)
make package/foo-mostlyclean (performs a "make clean" in the package's build_mipsel)
make package/foo-prepare (downloads the source, unpacks to build_mipsel and patches)
make package/foo-compile (self explaintory)
make package/foo-install  (produces the ipkg file in bin/packages)
make package/foo-rebuild (alias for "mostlyclean, compile")

The above steps also produce files in the package's directory
.prepared
.configured
.built

You can manually remove any one of those and run make which will force it to perform that step again. And yes, I know the build system is an undocumented mess -- the buildroot-ng rewrite should solve the issues.

Well, the commands I've given aren't specific to the packages directory; you can pretty much replace "package/foo" with any directory: packages, toolchain, target -- or any subdirectory of those. It works the exact same way.

OK, cool. Actually, it's a pretty amazing thing...  I'm trying to port my project to it, because it provides a really rigid structure - and makes it nearly idiot proof.  Except when idiots like me run amuck all over it.  :-)

--Yan

The discussion might have continued from here.