OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Free appliance with Intel IXP425

The content of this topic has been archived between 13 Apr 2018 and 18 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Once upon a time I had a itch to build a network appliance.  I loaded Etherboot & ucLinux to boot it up but never complete the other features that I wanted.  Now I have 49 small network appliances sitting in my garage without use.  I will donate the appliances to whoever are interested.  The appliance is based in Intel IXP425 with RS323 as console port.

Due to the package I will ship out the appliances in quantity of 5.  The weight is around 25 lb. from zip code 94040.   Whoever is interested please pay the UPS Ground shipping fee.  if you live in Bay area you can pick it up in Mountain View for free.

Can you please list the appliances? Also, how big is the box? I don't know how much it will cost to ship using UPS ground to my address in GA 30047. However, I know USPS has some flat rate boxes ranging from small (8-5/8" x 5-3/8" x 1-5/8") under $6, medium (13-5/8" x 11-7/8" x 3-3/8" or 11" x 8-1/2" x 5-1/2") under $13, or large (23-11/16" x 11-3/4" x 3" or 12" x 12" x 5-1/2") under $18.

the shipping box is 16" x 18" x 10".  it holds 5 devices inside.  Each device is 10" x 6.5" x 1.5", with 4 RJ-45 ports and one RS-232 port.  I believe each has 128MB RAM (it's long time ago smile.  You will need to plug in a CF card as the storage/drive.

there is a mini-PCI slot there that you can plug in the wireless PCI card.   There is a cut-out on the device that you can install the antenna if you want to develop wireless solution.  I will throw in the U.FL to RP-TNC pigtail & 5dbi antenna which can support both 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz.

You can find out the shipping charge on UPS web site with weight & zip code.

TBH, I have no idea what your devices look like. So, I would appreciate if you could provide some snapshots or at least some links to show the pictures and/or specs on these devices.

michaels wrote:

Once upon a time I had a itch to build a network appliance.  I loaded Etherboot & ucLinux to boot it up but never complete the other features that I wanted.  Now I have 49 small network appliances sitting in my garage without use.  I will donate the appliances to whoever are interested.  The appliance is based in Intel IXP425 with RS323 as console port.

Due to the package I will ship out the appliances in quantity of 5.  The weight is around 25 lb. from zip code 94040.   Whoever is interested please pay the UPS Ground shipping fee.  if you live in Bay area you can pick it up in Mountain View for free.

I'm interested in 5 of these to zip code 30144.  How/where would you like to receive the shipping fee?

I have posted 3 photo of the device at (https://www.flickr.com/gp/134403895@N06/7y790r).  The 2nd photo is the inside view.  The 3rd photo is the memory chip.  There are 4 chips in the devices.  It should be 128MB but I am not 100% sure.

my email address is my user name plus "hieh@yahoo.com".  You can send me the shipping through Paypal.  I will ship it out via UPS.    Thanks,

I have a friend who is interested in this. However, after looking at the UPS estimated shipping cost of US $50+, it looks kind of on a heavy side.

Since you mentioned the device dimension is about 10" x 6.5" x 1.5", do you think you can try to fit 4 units into the USPS medium flat rate boxes (13-5/8" x 11-7/8" x 3-3/8") -- side-by-side and stacking. The shipping cost for this box is under $13 and we probably can pay it here for a local pick up from your location.

From the pictures it appears that this has the 533 Mhz version of the Intel IXP425 with 32MB of flash and 128MB of DRAM via 4 256Mb chips.  That's a nice case they are in also.  I'm sending you an email to confirm the shipping cost to my location as I'm still interested.

rayknight wrote:

From the pictures it appears that this has the 533 Mhz version of the Intel IXP425 with 32MB of flash and 128MB of DRAM via 4 256Mb chips.  That's a nice case they are in also.  I'm sending you an email to confirm the shipping cost to my location as I'm still interested.

It looks like you are also from GA. If so, may I ask how much you are paying for the shipping cost with UPS?

I went to post office and get the medium flat boxes today.  It can hold 4 devices with either 4 power cords, or 3 power cords with 1 RS232 cable.  The RS232 cable is more rigid and it's pretty tight after I stuck it in.   If you don't care about the packaging and padding, I can ship it out this way to save money.  The device uses normal power cords which you can get from everywhere.

For those who are interested in the no-frill packages, pls paypal $13 to my email as above.  I will put 3 power cords with 1 RS232 cable if you don't specify the cable choices.

If  you want double box with power cord & RS232 for each, pls antenna,  then pls use UPS route.

michaels wrote:

I went to post office and get the medium flat boxes today.  It can hold 4 devices with either 4 power cords, or 3 power cords with 1 RS232 cable.  The RS232 cable is more rigid and it's pretty tight after I stuck it in.   If you don't care about the packaging and padding, I can ship it out this way to save money.  The device uses normal power cords which you can get from everywhere.

For those who are interested in the no-frill packages, pls paypal $13 to my email as above.  I will put 3 power cords with 1 RS232 cable if you don't specify the cable choices.

If  you want double box with power cord & RS232 for each, pls antenna,  then pls use UPS route.

This will be for my friend and not me. I will inform my friend to paypal $13 to the e-mail address you provided above. Just one question. Since my friend has plenty of power cords, can you ship with 2 power cords + 1 RS232 cable + the U.FL to RP-TNC pigtail & 5dbi antenna?

the antenna is pretty long & rigid that only 1 power cord & 1 RS232 can be in.  Not much space left after all these.

michaels wrote:

the antenna is pretty long & rigid that only 1 power cord & 1 RS232 can be in.  Not much space left after all these.

My friend says that will be just fine and will be sending paypal $13 to you soon. Thank you.

michaels wrote:

my email address is my user name plus "hieh@yahoo.com".

My friend is a bit confused with your e-mail address as mentioned above and sent you an e-mail to your yahoo account with the account name micahelshieh hoping you will receive it to confirm.

It's michaelshieh  smile  I haven't received the email.

michaels wrote:

You should have received a PayPal payment from me.

michaels wrote:

I already informed my friend who is still awaiting for your reply from the e-mail sent to you (yesterday).

(Last edited by mazilo on 18 Sep 2015, 02:18)

I got the email this morning and the devices were shipped today.

michaels wrote:

Have you received the two e-mails sent by my friend? Please check if they have landed on your spam/junk folder.

michaels wrote:

Hello Michael,

Have you received at least two e-mails from my friend whose e-mail address is michaelshieh dot pittmdn at 9ox dot net? If not, can you please use your paypal e-mail address to write to my friend with the above e-mail address? This way, at least my friend can confirm your paypal e-mail address.

Mazi,
I cannot find those mails in my spam folder.  email sent this morning.

I still have around 30 devices if anyone is interested.  There are 2 shipping options.

1. no frill package through USPS Priority Flat Rate, $13, it will include 4 devices, 1 power cord, 2 RS-232, 2 antenna & pigtails.  I can swap RS232 with power cord or vice versa depending your needs.
2. double box shipping which give you nice box for the devices (if you decide to ship them alone later).  This will through UPS and usually is expensive (expect $40 to $50).  you can go to UPS web site to calc the shipping cost.  dimension is 16" x 18" x 10", weight is 24 lb. ship from 94040.

whoever is interested pls send email to michaelshieh of my ya ho o account to confirm and paypal the shipping cost.  I will try to ship it out within 2 days.  Thanks,

BTW, let me know if you only needs antenna and pig-tails.  I can ship as many in a USPS medium flat rate box.

Has anyone who received one of these units yet figured out how to access the booter?  michaels, can you provide some information on the switches and/or a method of breaking the boot process before booting the Linux kernel?  Do you know if there is a RedBoot image somewhere for this hardware?

I remember I was able to load a modified etherboot to start the kernel.  However, it was long time ago that I have no information/doc about it.