OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: TL-WR841N V10 OpenWRT

The content of this topic has been archived between 23 Oct 2016 and 24 Apr 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

Hello, it's me again.
Still not running openwrt with openvpn on my wr841nV10.

But the positive thing ist: I managed to compile openwrt.

Unfortunately I forgot the link for the sources, I used. Sorry.
But it compiled only images for V1 to V8. Not V9 and no V10!
The images for V1 to V8 were only about 3.2mb, so openvpn tigether with luci and iptables should fit into that router.

Could anyone PLEASE give me a link, where I can get the sources for compiling?
And probably WITH the V10 patches applied? (I don't konw, how to apply patches.)
I want to do an openwrt-image with openvpn.
If I succeed, I am willing to upload that image and share it.

At least @samucele would be pleased to get an openvpn-image.

I can't get the imagebuilder working, so I try to compile.

jamest42 wrote:

I have compiled a real 15.05 with the ar71xx patches from the gluon firmware project. So you can still install software and stuff after a while, which is a big problem with trunk.

md5sums
openwrt-15.05-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr841n-v10-squashfs-factory.bin
openwrt-15.05-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr841n-v10-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin
Custom fixed build 2015-11-17.zip used patches+config

You may need to shorten the filename to get the tp-link software to accept the file.

I also have not modified the source code except for the required patches.

However, there are of course no guarantees for anything.

Kind sir,

I need to install kmod-tun package. Could you please compile a 15.05 along with the patches to eliminate this error.

* satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for kmod-tun:
 *     kernel (= 3.18.20-1-7bed08fa9c06eb8089e82c200340ec66) *

Thanks very much.

perfector wrote:

Kind sir,

I need to install kmod-tun package. Could you please compile a 15.05 along with the patches to eliminate this error.

* satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for kmod-tun:
 *     kernel (= 3.18.20-1-7bed08fa9c06eb8089e82c200340ec66) *

Thanks very much.

Please look here for the package:
http://openwrt.wohnheimnetz-bielefeld.d … 015-11-17/

And report if that works.

No it isn't working.
Here is the output.

Installing openvpn-openssl (2.3.6-5) to root...
Downloading http://downloads.openwrt.org/chaos_calm … r71xx.ipk.

Collected errors:
* satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for openvpn-openssl:
*     kernel (= 3.18.20-1-7bed08fa9c06eb8089e82c200340ec66) *
* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package openvpn-openssl.

dr.h8ball wrote:

No it isn't working.
Here is the output.

Installing openvpn-openssl (2.3.6-5) to root...
Downloading http://downloads.openwrt.org/chaos_calm … r71xx.ipk.

Collected errors:
* satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for openvpn-openssl:
* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package openvpn-openssl.

I've uploaded openvpn-openssl as well.

It is not working, Kernel is 3.14.23 but depency will be 3.14.23-1

Hi all thanks for helping me out with my router now it is working very well, thanks to all of you.

and how can i set ip based band width control in openwrt kindly help me with that

tejalogs wrote:

how can i set ip based band width control in openwrt kindly help me with that

Its a 4 MB router you need to install SQM https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/sqm sure you will install it, but when you enable it, if you can't, it's cause lack of space, you can try QOS or wshaper, but once you install SQM even if you delete it, you won't get back the whole space, you will have to perform reset, I advice you to do a back up before you start

danymarc wrote:

Its a 4 MB router you need to install SQM https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/sqm sure you will install it, but when you enable it, if you can't, it's cause lack of space, you can try QOS or wshaper, but once you install SQM even if you delete it, you won't get back the whole space, you will have to perform reset, I advice you to do a back up before you start

Did qos or wshaper works? on 4MB router coz, there is no sufficient memory, worried of that

Hi I just installed openwrt on my tl-wr851n v10, because I was having some troubles with the original firmware (WAN port wouldn't set its speed to 100mbps, only 10mbps, my internet connection is 100mbps up 100mbps down). However, installing openwrt didn't fix the problem, I'm very very new to openwrt so I couldn't find any options to actually address this issue with (something like force set the WAN speed to 100mbps, auto-negotiation settings). I hope you guys can help me with that. I installed the firmware that was linked by jamest42 on page 2.

EDIT: Yes I reset every single resettable device connected to the internet, my speed when connected directly to the modem is 100 up 100 down, all of my cables are Cat 5E, both wired and wireless connections to the router have this problem, both my laptop and my phone only have 10mbps connections when connected to the router (laptop has a gbit port).

Also, when I was fiddling around with cables and the VLAN settings (I deleted the "untagged" things to see what would happen, reconnected the WAN cable) and I got a 100 mbps down and 0.21mbps up connection on my laptop and phone. It's something, but half-duplex.

EDIT2: I have not tried different cables from the modem to the router, though, but that same cable works for my laptop so I didn't think it would be the cause of the problems.

(Last edited by tomvl on 5 Dec 2015, 11:29)

Hi all and thanks for all the work done.

Have a couple of WR841N V10 and experience random blackout periods (few minutes) that are an annoyance so would like to try the openwrt.

Some questions as I'm new:
1) suggested readings before I begin
2) the jamest42 (thanks !) includes Luci (I understand is the web interface)?
3) after uploading the new jamest42 FW should I also patch it? what is in the patch?
4) what is the situation with the wifi? does it work? good coverage or still crippled?

Listing:
openwrt-15.05-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr841n-v10-squashfs-factory.bin   --> first install
openwrt-15.05-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr841n-v10-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin --> upgrade if openwrt already installed
Custom fixed build 2015-11-17.zip used patches+config --> how to apply it?
--> where can I find the upload to go back to TP-Link FW if needed?

Thanks for answering.

When i build my own image,  V10 is not in files. What am I doing wrong?

Hi James,

I successfully followed your instructions, installed your bins. ALL good. Now when I want to install wifidog or another hotspot system
it complains about the kernel (dependencies.) has this been resolved so far..

I'd love to run soon wifidog, that is all wink

Great job so far for the community..

Hope to hear about it from anybody as soon as possible...
(Could maybe somehow another iptables version solve it for me as a hack?!)

root@LimeGreen:~# uname -r

Collected errors:
* satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for nodogsplash:
* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package nodogsplash.

jamest42 wrote:

I have compiled a real 15.05 with the ar71xx patches from the gluon firmware project. So you can still install software and stuff after a while, which is a big problem with trunk.

md5sums
openwrt-15.05-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr841n-v10-squashfs-factory.bin
openwrt-15.05-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr841n-v10-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin
Custom fixed build 2015-11-17.zip used patches+config

You may need to shorten the filename to get the tp-link software to accept the file.

I also have not modified the source code except for the required patches.

However, there are of course no guarantees for anything.

//Update: Unfortunately, the kernel version is different from normal 15.05. So all packages that require a certain kernel version won't work. I will look into this as soon as possible.

(Last edited by Jimmy8 on 5 Dec 2015, 23:33)

I got my router allmost running now.

I flashed the openwrt from jamest42 first.

The I went here: https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=54604
and downloaded the openwrt for V9 and flashed it over the openwrt from jamest42.
Now I have openvpn running, but I still have problems with the correct routing.
Openwrt says, openvpn is running, but I don't know, how to setup the correct firewall rules to get the routing running.

Unfortunately my way of getting the router running will not be satisfying for most of you, because of the wifi-range being short with v9 firmware. This is not problem for me, because my router will not need wifi.
It is only for routing a wired lan-link into a wired wan-link. So for me this solution is sufficient.

No I will have to learn to set up the routing.

Thanks for the firmware to jamest42 and anyone else who invested time an labour into this openwrt!

tritonmole wrote:

I got my router allmost running now.

It is only for routing a wired lan-link into a wired wan-link. So for me this solution is sufficient.

You mean now routing for openvpn or for simple routing?! I mean can you surf the net apart from your
openvpn service when hooked up by lan to your router?!

(Last edited by Jimmy8 on 6 Dec 2015, 10:43)

Hello,

jamest42 wrote:

Please look here for the package:
http://openwrt.wohnheimnetz-bielefeld.d … 015-11-17/

And report if that works.

No it does not work. I actually need to install the package coova-chilli. This is one of the dependent package.

opkg install http://openwrt.wohnheimnetz-bielefeld.de/custom-bu
ilds/Custom%20fixed%20build%202015-11-17/kmod-tun_3.18.23-1_ar71xx.ipk
Downloading http://openwrt.wohnheimnetz-bielefeld.de/custom-builds/Custom%20fixed%20build%202015-11-17/kmod-tun_3.18.23-1_ar71xx.ipk.
Installing kmod-tun (3.18.23-1) to root...
Collected errors:
 *     kernel (= 3.18.23-1-fee9d8c52ef1d91b398a71d7f83a0a9c) *
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package kmod-tun.

@all: Why is wifidog or coova-chilli, etc so picky about the kernel version used? And why is the one used by James' build so out of "sync" for those programs?!

qwerty.chilo wrote:

Have a couple of WR841N V10 and experience random blackout periods (few minutes) that are an annoyance so would like to try the openwrt.

3) after uploading the new jamest42 FW should I also patch it? what is in the patch?
4) what is the situation with the wifi? does it work? good coverage or still crippled?

Listing:
openwrt-15.05-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr841n-v10-squashfs-factory.bin   --> first install
openwrt-15.05-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr841n-v10-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin --> upgrade if openwrt already installed

Thanks for answering.

Can anyone help?

qwerty.chilo wrote:
qwerty.chilo wrote:

Listing:

Thanks for answering.

Can anyone help?

upload binary #1 in the original router portal of your router as firmware update.
Then, this is gone and it is replaced by Luci Webinerface (different IP).

there you log onto (that's Luci), upload best your ssh key and then you ssh into your box with that new "Luci IP."

if that works logout, use the scp command to get the above binary #2 into your tmp folder of the router. scp uses
ssh itself..

once you have hat binary on your router, do command sysupgrade /tmp/binary #2

done

Jimmy8 wrote:

have you tried the version of james with force install dependencies?! I do not want to mess up my system.. wink

Yes. It does not work. kmod-* packages usually don't work too well in these cases.

Jimmy8 wrote:
qwerty.chilo wrote:
qwerty.chilo wrote:

Listing:

Thanks for answering.

Can anyone help?

upload binary #1 in the original router portal of your router as firmware update.
Then, this is gone and it is replaced by Luci Webinerface (different IP).

there you log onto (that's Luci), upload best your ssh key and then you ssh into your box with that new "Luci IP."

if that works logout, use the scp command to get the above binary #2 into your tmp folder of the router. scp uses
ssh itself..

once you have hat binary on your router, do command sysupgrade /tmp/binary #2

done

Thanks for your answer !
1) when you say #2 you mean the zip file or the sysupgrade? if is the sysupgrade, then what is the zip for?
2) Any knowledge about the wifi situation?
3) where can I find the upload to go back to TP-Link FW if needed?

@jamest42
Can you please share your code via github.com ?

My OpenVPN is working now.
I've build without Luci. Kernel 4.1.13

Here is a script for loading files from my server.

#!/bin/sh

cd /tmp
wget http://fehler70.de/tl-841n-openvpn.tar.gz
tar xzf tl-841n-openvpn.tar.gz
cd /lib
ln -s /tmp/tl-841n-openvpn/libcrypto.so.1.0.0 libcrypto.so.1.0.0
ln -s /tmp/tl-841n-openvpn/liblzo2.so.2 liblzo2.so.2
ln -s /tmp/tl-841n-openvpn/libssl.so.1.0.0 libssl.so.1.0.0
cd /lib/modules/4.1.13
ln -s /tmp/tl-841n-openvpn/tun.ko tun.ko
modprobe tun.ko
cd /tmp/tl-841n-openvpn
chmod +x openvpn
exit 0

After executing the script, you can cd to /tmp/tl-841n-openvpn, put your certs and confs or whatever you want to.

./openvpn ..... starts your connection.

Sorry, posts 126 to 125 are missing from our archive.