OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Support for TL-WA801ND V3

The content of this topic has been archived on 18 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hello,

I recently bought a TP-LINK TL-WA801ND V3 access point, will this device be supported by OpenWRT? Its hardware is identical to TL-WA841ND V10:

SoC: QCA9533-BL3A
FLASH: Winbond 25Q32FVS1G
RAM: Zentel A3S56D40GTP-50L
FCCID: TE7WA801NDV3

PCB Photo: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8_kOi … sp=sharing

Hello, my patch to support that device got merged in trunk some days ago, wait some days for compiled images to be released
Also in the meantime if you want to see how to use the serial port ( especially which missing resistors you have to bridge ) :

http://linuxehacking.ovh/2016/02/13/ins … a801nd-v3/

I recently got a few of these devices in, firmware V3.  When trying to flash the firmware snapshot, I was getting the 18005 error.  My suspicion is that these particular units are new enough to have the  "locked-down" firmware from tp-link.  I will try to do some work on this soon, but wanted to start the ball rolling here.  I suspect we can come up with a fix for this, hope to have more info soon.

I've edited the wiki page to reflect this, Even with the locked firmware, our openwrt-factory image installs correctly using the tftp recovery process.  Stock firmware from October 2015 seems to be the first to have the locked firmware.

i am trying to ping 192.168.0.86 after geting in recovery mode but there is no response at all. i also tried to tftp from 192.168.0.66 to 192.168.0.86 without success,  any help?

(Last edited by mariosfx on 28 Apr 2016, 08:08)

I can confirm that the current trunk build (r49276) works properly as Wireless Repeater (sta -> ap). Of course there is not led support.

(Last edited by understracker on 8 May 2016, 01:48)

This tutorial worked fine for me but as i am not so familiar with configuring the device through the command shell i wanted to install the web interface luci.
As it turned out, there is not enough space left, so i want to try to build a new image with luci.
My question now is, which trunk version should i use. (can i use the v2 openwrt firmware as the base ?)

Thanks smile

(Last edited by hummer93 on 15 Jun 2016, 19:44)

hummer93 wrote:

As it turned out, there is not enough space left, so i want to try to build a new image with luci.

I ran into the exact same problem.

hummer93 wrote:

(can i use the v2 openwrt firmware as the base ?)

I tried that and it didn't work.

hummer93 wrote:

My question now is, which trunk version should i use.

I'm new around here, but if I understand what's going on, you can't use trunk b/c v3 was added to the tree after the last trunk release. I used Image Builder from yesterday's snapshot to build an image that included luci.

https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/obta … e.generate

If you're interested, my command was:
make image PROFILE=TLWA801 PACKAGES="luci -ip6tables -ppp -ppp-mod-pppoe -odhcp6c"

That made an image that includes luci and fits just fine on the hardware.  This includes luci and removes ppp and some ipv6 support (which I don't need.)  I was able to install and use that image.  It works perfect for my intentions (wifi access point with sandboxed guest network.)

You can use my image if you like:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-0yWV … sp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-0yWV … sp=sharing

Hi there,

My post is two fold.

1) Any idea when a stripped v3 recovery file might be available?

2) I am a newbie when it comes to OpenWRT but can follow instructions. I got Luci up and running on my V3 but, for some odd reason, when trying to use a WPA network as my ''source'' from which I was repeating a signal from, it dropped connection after 10 seconds. WPA2 networks worked just fine. Must be a bug. sad

Thanks so much!

Hi,
I'm new to all this so sorry if I have stupid questions.
I managed to get TL-WA801ND V3 working with bin files that "wisemrmagoo" posted earlier.
Luci is included in his "sysupgrade" bin file but I also need to somehow limit download/upload bandwith.
I tried to install QOS package, but with this image I only get dependencies errors (happens with all packages) related to kernel version (this image has 4.1.23).
With other "sysupgrade" bin file from official OpenWrt WA801ND V3  wiki page I can install packages, but can't even get Luci to work becuse I get "not enough space" errors.

Does someone have "sysupgrade" bin file with Luci and some kind of bandwith control (QOS) installed?

3mi7er wrote:

Hi,
I'm new to all this so sorry if I have stupid questions.
I managed to get TL-WA801ND V3 working with bin files that "wisemrmagoo" posted earlier.
Luci is included in his "sysupgrade" bin file but I also need to somehow limit download/upload bandwith.
I tried to install QOS package, but with this image I only get dependencies errors (happens with all packages) related to kernel version (this image has 4.1.23).
With other "sysupgrade" bin file from official OpenWrt WA801ND V3  wiki page I can install packages, but can't even get Luci to work becuse I get "not enough space" errors.

Does someone have "sysupgrade" bin file with Luci and some kind of bandwith control (QOS) installed?

The simple solution is to use the -nodeps flag while installing packages with opkg...

opkg install <some package> -nodeps

Hostle

The discussion might have continued from here.