OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: The LinkSys BEFW11S4

The content of this topic has been archived on 2 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I just ripped my BEFW11S4 from some time in 03' apart and checked the chips out.  It has an 8MB flash (29lv800btc) and 2 x 16 mbit ram (em636165ts).  Has anyone researched the possibility of putting openwrt onto this device?  I'm a noob but it apears to be a wrt54g without the 802.11g ability only 802.11b.  Any information on this device's capabilities would be greatly appretiated.

Thanks-

29lv800btc = 8Mbit, that's 1MByte

And no, we have absolutely no plans to support the BEFSW11S4.

Would it be possible for someone (like myself eventually) to make a 1 meg flash that has ONLY client mode capability or does client mode its self take more than 1 meg?  I would like to help the project in any way I can thanks for correcting my idiot error with bits and bytes.  I guess i figured they would have to use more memory for the older models since they had not spent as much time developing the firmware to trim it down.

I find client mode on my WRT54G to be most usefull.

It may be possible, but very very difficult. It only has 1MiB of flash and 4MiB of memory. That's not much to work with. The Linux kernel itself will take up about half the flash, and aproximately 1.3MiB of memory once it's loaded. You're better off getting a WRT54G (even a version 5 or 6). At least those can run OpenWRT without modifications.

The discussion might have continued from here.