OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: WIFI hostap driver & PCMCIA Demarctech card & SOEKRIS 4521

The content of this topic has been archived on 14 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi,

I'm trying to get a PCMCIA card working on a SOEKRIS 4521 board.
The chipset is a Prism 2 and I use the driver kmod-hostap.ipk and the kmod-pcmcia-core.ipk
I also had to compile the hostap_cs from the .tar file wich is missing in the package list.
I installed also the pcmcia-utils.ipk
I added the  hostap_cs.conf in the /etc/pcmcia directory
Any idea where it could go wrong? How can I separate the possible isues with the pcmcia and the wifi driver?
Did I load all the required modules (see lsmod below?)

Module                            Size  Used by    Not tainted
hostap_cs                       36956   0 (unused)
hostap_crypt_wep         2928   0 (unused)
hostap_crypt_tkip          7280   0 (unused)
hostap_crypt_ccmp      11748   0 (unused)
hostap                            78408   0 [hostap_cs hostap_crypt_wep hostap_crypt_tkip hostap_crypt]
ds                                   5416   0 [hostap_cs]
yenta_socket                 8680   2
pcmcia_core                  36552   0 [hostap_cs ds yenta_socket]
nfs                                  57628   1
lockd                              39268   0 [nfs]
sunrpc                           57528   1 [nfs lockd]
natsemi                12576   2

Thanks for your feedback.

hi,

I found the issue... it's really stupid... when the PCMCIA driver is loaded it activates the power supply of the PCMCIA card... and my power supply was not strong enough to feed some type of PCMCIA card crashing the power supply of the SOEKRIS generating a reset....

What I also learned:

oups... what I also learned:
- it is more flexible to use pcmcia-utils than using pcmcia support in the kernel. To get the pcmcia-utils correctly (=fully) compiled, the kernel has to be compiled with pcmcia support deactivated (CONFIG_PCMCIA=n) to get the pcmcia-util fully compiled. Then the rc.pcmcia has to be renamed and copied in the /etc/init.d/ directory to ensure the proper drivers are loaded (pcmcia_core,i82365,ds)
- be sure your PCMCIA card is configured in the /etc/pcimcia/config and /etc/pcimcia/config.opts
- configure the /etc/sysconfig/pcmcia with "PCIC=your chip driver" in my case "PCIC=i82365"

Good luck
Seagull

The discussion might have continued from here.