OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Use of public hotspots

The content of this topic has been archived on 7 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Dear all,
I want to use my OpenWRT router as an client for an public hotspot (e.g. Telekom, Telekom_FON). The Hotspot has an Captive Portal, which redirect the traffic to a certain URL (like telekom.portal.fon.com).
Unfortunatly, OpenWRT can't connect to the URL, so I need to figure out the IP-Adress of that URL. What works sometimes, but often enough the connection to the URL like https://123.456.789.0/login.php doesn't work,
Is there an smart tool, to help with that logon pages ?
Thanks,
Haudrauf

Be so kind as to use the OpenWrt Forum's Search feature.

Hi Max,
I appreciate your help - but that is not realy an answer you've linked right ?
Be confident, I have alread searched google and this forum, but can't find any answer to my issue.
I can't even SEE the logon (Splash) screen, which I most probably need, even when I apply this approach:
"Hotplug + curl/wget script" - I don't even understand, what that means sad
Thanks, Marc

haudrauf wrote:

... that is not realy an answer you've linked right ?

Yes, it is.

Hi Max, thank you your your detailed help smile
I try to explain it with other words.
My issue is not, to technically connect to another Hotspot. I can create the connection (interface), but I not able to access the captive portal of that Hotspot.
E.g. Telekom (Germany): They forward all traffic before authentication to https://hotspot.t-mobile.net - but OpenWRT (or my device, I'm not sure which one), can't resolve the name. Instead, I have to replace the hotspot.t-mobile.net with that IP (which I can ping from the command line). However, this doesn't work always, and it's really difficult (for me) to find out the real IP-adress. And it seems, that this approach is sometime not allowed / supported from the Hotspot-Provider.
Thanks for your time & help.
Marc

Write a script, possibly per HS provider, that requests the landing page, crawls it to determine what values are required in the query and GET/POST the login URL.

Hi haudrauf,

I've had the same issue and posted a question here: OpenWRT Roadwarrior behind Captive Portal
After some research I found a solution for this. You may want to have a look at that post as I guess it solves your problem.

The discussion might have continued from here.