OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: davidc502 1900ac 3200acm builds

The content of this topic has been archived between 26 Feb 2018 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

@davidc502, As far as I can make out, to test the issue in the thread @yuhhaurlin asked people to test the new BLOB, which is being done, but the new 2.4 issue was noted. Interestingly, I think this BLOB is different than the one issued in the OEM FW that hit the street last month, but I thought it was stated they were to be made the same at some point(rango).

The commits were independent of that, ongoing work, including a step towards the BSS 802.11r issue.

ambrosa wrote:

[SOLVED myself]
easy-rsa is now rel. 3.0 and it's completely different from previous.
https://community.openvpn.net/openvpn/w … nVPN-Howto

r4114
Package openvpn-easy-rsa (2013-01-30-ff5bfd1d-2) is installed on root and has the following files:
/usr/sbin/clean-all
/etc/easy-rsa/keys/index.txt
/usr/sbin/list-crl
/usr/sbin/build-key-pass
/usr/sbin/build-key
/usr/sbin/revoke-full
/usr/sbin/sign-req
/etc/easy-rsa/vars
/usr/sbin/build-req-pass
/usr/sbin/whichopensslcnf
/etc/easy-rsa/keys/serial
/usr/sbin/pkitool
/usr/sbin/inherit-inter
/usr/sbin/build-req
/usr/sbin/build-key-pkcs12
/usr/sbin/build-ca
/usr/sbin/build-dh
/usr/sbin/build-key-server
/etc/easy-rsa/openssl-1.0.0.cnf
/usr/sbin/build-inter

r4651
Package openvpn-easy-rsa (3.0.1-1) is installed on root and has the following files:
/usr/sbin/easyrsa
/etc/easy-rsa/x509-types/ca
/lib/upgrade/keep.d/openvpn-easy-rsa
/etc/easy-rsa/openssl-1.0.cnf
/etc/easy-rsa/x509-types/client
/etc/easy-rsa/vars
/etc/easy-rsa/x509-types/COMMON
/etc/easy-rsa/x509-types/server

sure wish i had been able to find this (yes I did search but until i found out WHY there was no way to search for the right thing!) before i wasted half the day figuring it out on my own......... someone should make a sticky regarding this, cause, yeah way way way different than before LOL and pretty much every wiki out there is still wrong. sad

Hey Guys ,

Not related to forum question , but still so many experts in WRT here.

is WRT3200 is good for office with 50-100 Wifi Connections ?

thanks!

Hi Everyone,

What happened to "starcms".  He use to provide a lot of useful information and tips on using the product.

robocide wrote:

Hey Guys ,

thanks!

I have an WRT3200ACM and 200mbps connection with 10-14 devices connected (10 Wifi, 4 wired), and can handle excellent, no problems...

Tested with 400mbps also no problems...

WRT3200ACM has very powerful hardware, software (drivers) sometimes cannot say the same...

jefftk99 wrote:

Hi Everyone,

What happened to "starcms".  He use to provide a lot of useful information and tips on using the product.

No idea... He/She kinda just dropped off the map.

S Pimenta wrote:
robocide wrote:

Hey Guys ,

thanks!

I have an WRT3200ACM and 200mbps connection with 10-14 devices connected (10 Wifi, 4 wired), and can handle excellent, no problems...

WRT3200ACM has very powerful hardware, software (drivers) sometimes cannot say the same...

10x !

robocide wrote:

Hey Guys ,

thanks!

I personally have been pretty disappointed by it but as others have said it's more a software issue than hardware.  Right now you can only use one of the 5ghz radios.  I had intended for this to be my main router, but ended up at least for now using my r8000 netgear and the house has seen a huge improvement in speed over the 1900acs the 3200 was supposed to replace.

robocide wrote:
S Pimenta wrote:
robocide wrote:

Hey Guys ,

thanks!

10x !

+1 ^^

I was thinking to buy a WRT1200AC and found to this thread. I have a few questions and hopefully they can all be answered:

1. what is the "out of the box" OpenVPN bandwidth performance with a WRT1200AC with AES-256-CBC?
2. is the OpenVPN-openssl package correctly compiled with that it supports auth files (auth-user-pass)?
3. is this ROM correctly compiled with all important iptables packages and kmod-ipt modules? for example: iptables-mod-conntrack-extra, iptables-mod-ipopt, kmod-ipt-nat-extra, kmod-ipt-conntrack-extra, kmod-ipt-ipset, kmod-sched-connmark ect, so ip rules work flagging packages with "-j MARK --set-mark x" also that IPSET DNS rules work?

(Last edited by makedir on 9 Nov 2017, 05:29)

I was using openvpn on my 1900acs and although I don't have specific numbers on throughput I never noticed any lag it was working well, I was using AES-256-GCM cipher.  The only issue I had was if I connected with two clients they ended up getting the same ip address served to them but I'm sure that was something I didn't do right.

I know it supports that but I didn't use it perhaps someone else will chime in who did.

"important iptables packages" is going to be different for everyone.  In any case you can opkg install any that aren't there you need.

WWTK wrote:
robocide wrote:

Hey Guys ,

thanks!

I personally have been pretty disappointed by it but as others have said it's more a software issue than hardware.  Right now you can only use one of the 5ghz radios.  I had intended for this to be my main router, but ended up at least for now using my r8000 netgear and the house has seen a huge improvement in speed over the 1900acs the 3200 was supposed to replace.

Right now you can only use one of the 5ghz radios. ?!?! Please elaborate!

@robocide @S Pimenta

I am using at work a TP-Link WDR4300 (About 25% of the RAM/CPU power compared to a WRT1200AC)
and it handles with no problem about 200 clients.
So..do the math.
It won't have any issue.
(Also with the same router i set up a vpn of 10/10mbits aproximately).

davidc502 wrote:

For 3200acm owners.  Below is the latest mwlwifi (wifi) driver commit from yuhhaurlin. Please do some testing and report good or bad. The driver changes are supposed to fix the crash reboot issue.

Also you must be running the following image to test the driver -->  Lede Reboot SNAPSHOT r5201-8b9cdebc9c 

https://davidc502sis.dynamic-dns.net/re … _vfpv3.ipk

Would like to see some 1200ac owners test this wifi driver as well.  I'm curious to hear about ping response times. The main reason is the area where I used to disable AMSDU, in the wifi driver, has been re-written. So, this new driver did not have my alteration to disable AMSDU.

https://davidc502sis.dynamic-dns.net/re … _vfpv3.ipk

would be nice to have an answer to the questions I asked @davidc502

Villeneuve wrote:

@davidc502, As far as I can make out, to test the issue in the thread @yuhhaurlin asked people to test the new BLOB, which is being done, but the new 2.4 issue was noted. Interestingly, I think this BLOB is different than the one issued in the OEM FW that hit the street last month, but I thought it was stated they were to be made the same at some point(rango).

The commits were independent of that, ongoing work, including a step towards the.

With latest commit (760f7bf1b8af6c899ccb14d47e8b987ed9a62adf) it appears that the BSS 802.11r is fixed.

Here is my output with two 3200acms.

Thu Nov  9 17:36:08 2017 daemon.debug hostapd: wlan0: STA d0:13:fd:5a:15:fa IEEE 802.11: authentication OK (FT)
Thu Nov  9 17:36:08 2017 daemon.debug hostapd: wlan0: STA d0:13:fd:5a:15:fa MLME: MLME-AUTHENTICATE.indication(d0:13:fd:5a:15:fa, FT)
Thu Nov  9 17:36:09 2017 daemon.debug hostapd: wlan0: STA d0:13:fd:5a:15:fa WPA: FT authentication already completed - do not start 4-way handshake

Will continue testing.

makedir wrote:

I don't have the answers to your questions, sorry.

(Last edited by davidc502 on 9 Nov 2017, 20:05)

@Spamtree, certainly encouraging news, almost incentivized me enough to take the shrink wrap off of an unopened 2nd rango I have had sitting idle in its box for ~6 months, almost.

@David, do you know if 3200 has a battery? Disable CONFIG_RTC_DRV_MV and CONFIG_RTC_DRV_ARMADA38X is a possibility?

@Anyone having this problem?

Regards,

famg wrote:

Anyone have this issue with David build?

The WRT1200AC and the WRT1900AC (and quite possibly the WRT3200AC) has a hardware RTC on the Marvell SoC. The kernel recognises this and creates a /dev/rtc0 device.

The RTC is not battery backed so can come up with any random time set - have seen dates around 1970 and 2034 and 2036.

The /etc/init.d/sysfixtime script is designed to bring up the system with a sensible time and date (sourced from file dates in /etc) until it can be accurately set via NTP on systems with and without hardware RTCs.

The problem is at boot it assumes that because /etc/rtc0 exists and /sbin/hwclock exists, then it can obtain the sensible time from the hardware clock. This causes problems on my router with syslog-ng, vnstat and collectd if the date is in the future (collectd doesn’t log any data and syslog-ng writes spurious logs based on the date).

@David, they say a possible workaround is disabling CONFIG_RTC_DRV_MV and CONFIG_RTC_DRV_ARMADA38X in the kernel. Is there a way to disable it after compiling? Could you please change this params at next build (for wrt1900/wrt1200 I don't know about WRT3200) to see if really solves the issue? Does the WRT3200AC has a battery?

(Last edited by famg on 9 Nov 2017, 22:09)

famg wrote:

@David, do you know if 3200 has a battery? Disable CONFIG_RTC_DRV_MV and CONFIG_RTC_DRV_ARMADA38X is a possibility?

@Anyone having this problem?

Regards,

famg wrote:

Anyone have this issue with David build?

The WRT1200AC and the WRT1900AC (and quite possibly the WRT3200AC) has a hardware RTC on the Marvell SoC. The kernel recognises this and creates a /dev/rtc0 device.

The RTC is not battery backed so can come up with any random time set - have seen dates around 1970 and 2034 and 2036.

The /etc/init.d/sysfixtime script is designed to bring up the system with a sensible time and date (sourced from file dates in /etc) until it can be accurately set via NTP on systems with and without hardware RTCs.

The problem is at boot it assumes that because /etc/rtc0 exists and /sbin/hwclock exists, then it can obtain the sensible time from the hardware clock. This causes problems on my router with syslog-ng, vnstat and collectd if the date is in the future (collectd doesn’t log any data and syslog-ng writes spurious logs based on the date).

@David, they say a possible workaround is disabling CONFIG_RTC_DRV_MV and CONFIG_RTC_DRV_ARMADA38X in the kernel. Is there a way to disable it after compiling? Could you please change this params at next build (for wrt1900/wrt1200 I don't know about WRT3200) to see if really solves the issue? Does the WRT3200AC has a battery?

I see the issue, and will be able to work on correcting it tomorrow in the config which will be deployed in the next build. Thanks for the reminder as this is a totally understandable issue.  Maybe I'm a little partial as I work with syslogs and understand the importance of keeping correct time.... lol

root@lede:~# /sbin/hwclock -r
Wed Dec 31 17:59:59 1969  0.000000 seconds

(Last edited by davidc502 on 9 Nov 2017, 22:37)

makedir wrote:
davidc502 wrote:
makedir wrote:

I don't have the answers to your questions, sorry.

Excuse me!? Isnt this your build custom ROM, and you want to say you have no idea what these questions mean? I can understand you dont know about 1) but 2 und 3? So this ""custom"" ROM is totally useless I guess? Can you please provide the LEDE make config then so I can configure the needed changes myself to a good ROM. Without the OpenVPN change for example this ROM is totally useless.

Calm down and show more respect dude. I've used David's build for some time and am entirely grateful for the work he puts into helping the community

makedir wrote:

I was thinking to buy a WRT1200AC and found to this thread. I have a few questions and hopefully they can all be answered:

1. what is the "out of the box" OpenVPN bandwidth performance with a WRT1200AC with AES-256-CBC?
2. is the OpenVPN-openssl package correctly compiled with that it supports auth files (auth-user-pass)?
3. is this ROM correctly compiled with all important iptables packages and kmod-ipt modules? for example: iptables-mod-conntrack-extra, iptables-mod-ipopt, kmod-ipt-nat-extra, kmod-ipt-conntrack-extra, kmod-ipt-ipset, kmod-sched-connmark ect, so ip rules work flagging packages with "-j MARK --set-mark x" also that IPSET DNS rules work?

I have the WRT1200ACv1 and am very happy. I just have a simple configuration without VPN so don't use the sophisticated setup you want. If what you want doesn't work with LEDE then probably doesn't work with anything.

Did you look in the config.seed and lede-mvebu.manifest to see if what you want is already built into the firmware?

I looked inside my davidc502 r4901 and found the iptables packages installed by default and can be seen in the attached default installed packages. You can also look into the available k packages attached. I did not list the available a-j or l-z packages because I am so lazy.

I am very happy with my WRT1200ACv1.

r4901 default installed packages:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1LDZxT … vQLEKKHdK2

r4901 available packages:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1EUDqx … fwT3UxaRy-

@davidc502:

Last days i meet the problem - wifi adapter hangs at my 1900ac due to high temperature (i live in tropics, we are have above 40C last days).
I configure out, that fan control script is have a crazy temp for wifi adapter control - about 110C!
So, i modify a script for better cooling, can you please include it in next release, instead of the standard one, to make sure no one else meet overheating?
It should be at /sbin/fan_ctrl.sh.

#!/bin/sh

CPU_TEMP=`cut -c1-2 /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon2/temp1_input`
DDR_TEMP=`cut -c1-2 /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon1/temp1_input`
WIFI_TEMP=`cut -c1-2 /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon1/temp2_input`

CPU_LOW=75
CPU_HIGH=88
DDR_LOW=65
DDR_HIGH=75
WIFI_LOW=80
WIFI_HIGH=90

if [ -d /sys/devices/pwm_fan ];then
        FAN_CTRL=/sys/devices/pwm_fan/hwmon/hwmon0/pwm1
elif [ -d /sys/devices/platform/pwm_fan ];then
        FAN_CTRL=/sys/devices/platform/pwm_fan/hwmon/hwmon0/pwm1
else
        exit 0
fi

if [ "$CPU_TEMP" -ge "$CPU_HIGH" -o "$DDR_TEMP" -ge "$DDR_HIGH" -o "$WIFI_TEMP" -ge "$WIFI_HIGH" ];then
        echo "255" > $FAN_CTRL
elif [ "$CPU_TEMP" -ge "$CPU_LOW" -o "$DDR_TEMP" -ge "$DDR_LOW" -o "$WIFI_TEMP" -ge "$WIFI_LOW" ];then
        echo "100" > $FAN_CTRL
else
        echo "0" > $FAN_CTRL
fi

(Last edited by T-Troll on 10 Nov 2017, 12:41)

@T-Troll, You might find this procd fan_control more functional than a modified version of the default cron job; has 3 thresholds, instead of 2. It keeps the fan running at 50% OOTB, but there is a comment of where to change if you want 0% as default.

Villeneuve wrote:

@T-Troll, You might find this procd fan_control more functional than a modified version of the default cron job; has 3 thresholds, instead of 2. It keeps the fan running at 50% OOTB, but there is a comment of where to change if you want 0% as default.

What's involved in getting this to be a part of a build and maybe disabling the default fan control?