OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: davidc502 1900ac 3200acm builds

The content of this topic has been archived between 26 Feb 2018 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

T-Troll wrote:

Here are my 2.4 (@40 with noscan + reghack, 20+ networks around, 2xMiMo station:

Connecting to host 192.168.1.5, port 9000
      Cookie: TTROLL-AW2.1519457434.912256.057eb10
      TCP MSS: 0 (default)
[  4] local 192.168.1.13 port 6806 connected to 192.168.1.5 port 9000
Starting Test: protocol: TCP, 1 streams, 131072 byte blocks, omitting 0 seconds, 10 second test
[ ID] Interval           Transfer     Bandwidth
[  4]   0.00-1.00   sec  16.4 MBytes   137 Mbits/sec
[  4]   1.00-2.00   sec  18.9 MBytes   158 Mbits/sec
[  4]   2.00-3.00   sec  19.6 MBytes   165 Mbits/sec
[  4]   3.00-4.00   sec  20.0 MBytes   168 Mbits/sec
[  4]   4.00-5.00   sec  20.6 MBytes   173 Mbits/sec
[  4]   5.00-6.00   sec  19.8 MBytes   166 Mbits/sec
[  4]   6.00-7.00   sec  18.1 MBytes   152 Mbits/sec
[  4]   7.00-8.00   sec  18.6 MBytes   156 Mbits/sec
[  4]   8.00-9.00   sec  19.8 MBytes   166 Mbits/sec
[  4]   9.00-10.00  sec  17.6 MBytes   148 Mbits/sec
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Test Complete. Summary Results:
[ ID] Interval           Transfer     Bandwidth
[  4]   0.00-10.00  sec   189 MBytes   159 Mbits/sec                  sender
[  4]   0.00-10.00  sec   189 MBytes   159 Mbits/sec                  receiver
CPU Utilization: local/sender 21.8% (2.0%u/19.8%s), remote/receiver 19.4% (0.7%u/18.7%s)

PS: Seems like no one meet multicast problems...

Hi,

Do not get the question wrong, but what commands or applications do you use for these reports?

gu3d3s wrote:

Hi.

davidc502 wrote:

I guess you are aware all of that is just 'theoretical' speeds, and not actual speeds. You're never going to get 3200mbps out of the 3200acm.. ever, and that's on stock or lede/openwrt.

The way that it breaks down is the 3200acm is a dual band router, and really (shh don't tell anyone) it is a 1900ac model with a theoretical speed of 600mbps on 2.4 and around 1.3Gbps on 5Ghz band. However supposedly in 160hMhz width it can support something like 3 of those streams at the same time, and once again theoretically bumping that number potentially up to 2.6Gbps  Hence why they call it the (3200 = (2.6 + 600)).

Okay, if I recall you were originally asking about 2.4ghz.  Supposedly it's capable of 600mbps... Well, it's a bit of a marketing ploy I'm afraid, IMHO. 600mbps will require devices that support 40Mhz widths, which around most places is difficult because of all the channels are crowded anyway.

Really, I wouldn't get caught up in the theoretical numbers game.

Best Regards

*EDIT*

Don't get me wrong.. The 3200 is a bad-a$$ box with lots of CPU power and RAM behind it. I've gone from the 1900acV1 through to the 1900acs, and now the 3200acm, and it's by far the best yet. I think the deal with the 3200acm is that it is a bit before its time which means its going to be future proof.

David I totally agree with you, even if I live in a country (Brazil) where officially these two equipments are not sold, so no WARRANTY, and ZERO support, that makes no difference in BRASIL Linksys leaves much to be desired in the matter of support, but even so I opted to buy them, since I had a good experience with WR54, and lastly with an EA6200 that still works today, and look at buying equipment in Brazil and complicated because besides the currency difference (change) we still pay 160% of taxes.

I really mean the speed stamped in the box of the product, I know in practice and complicated to use, but in other equipment programs like WIFI Explorer Pro, NetSpot Pro always show these speeds, as they do in the EA6200 or Archer C7, and in all other Routers I've used, except WRT, Kinksys says that the WRT3200 would be 3200Mbps, but in the applications it only shows 1750 or 1900 Mbps, already in the WRT1900ACS v2 the maximum was 1750 Mbps. Anyway even without using and good to know that this speed would be at the dog could be used. : D

two other doubts, I saw that they are speaking in kerne 4.XX for p WRT 3200, what would be the advantage of using an older kernel?

for the WRT line, there is already a more recent WIFI (hardwere) driver than the one we use in your vs. download?

where could you get this beta version for testing?

I thank you for your attention and patience, because the language barrier disturbs and confuses the reciocinio of what is written.

Guedes,

I always use the latest wifi driver with every build. Back to wifi, do you have hardware devices that support these extra speeds? For example do you have devices that support 40mhz widths with 2.4Ghz? Also, do you have devices that support tri stream MIMO 160Mhz widths? If you don't then you will never see a connection with the type of theoretical speeds.

There are a couple of builds out there that leverage older kernels, and the reason behind I think for this approach is for refinement and honing of the system. The daily snapshots and the builds I upload to the server are considered to be bleeding edge or development. Each build will likely have some issues that need to be addressed. I hope this gives you a better idea of what you are looking for.

*EDIT*

As a test I connected my S8 Active to 2.4Ghz, and it connects at 20Mhz or 144Mbps. So, my phone which is pretty recent will never connect to any faster rate as it is not supported with this hardware.  I think my iPhones are the same way as well, but would need to verify.  On 5Ghz my S8 active connects at 866Mbps which I believe is about maximum for 80Mhz width. There will need to be some tests to see if it can take advantage of 160Mhz or at least connect showing 160Mhz width.

(Last edited by davidc502 on 25 Feb 2018, 17:43)

r6302 has been uploaded to the server and is available for download for the 3200acm, 1200ac, 1900acs, and 1900acv2.

Kernel bump to 4.9.82.
The latest wifi driver is included that fixes a memory corruption.
Wifi for the 1200ac will is continuing to include the fix to thwart high ping / latency.
The builds continue to have the "darkmatter" theme available for LuCi.

https://davidc502sis.dynamic-dns.net/releases/

As usual, please post any issues you may see with this build.

davidc502 wrote:

*EDIT*

As a test I connected my S8 Active to 2.4Ghz, and it connects at 20Mhz or 144Mbps. So, my phone which is pretty recent will never connect to any faster rate as it is not supported with this hardware.  I think my iPhones are the same way as well, but would need to verify.  On 5Ghz my S8 active connects at 866Mbps which I believe is about maximum for 80Mhz width. There will need to be some tests to see if it can take advantage of 160Mhz or at least connect showing 160Mhz width.

Hi Dave.

it was like I tested the speeds, at home I have computers and cell phones standard with vao up to 800Mbps home, above that I have never seen it, and all the names already with standard AC, and in the company for having a greater variety of people and devices, it was where I put the 3200, because the processors and menorah have as pulls the network with more tranquility.

I questioned because in the wifi options I did not find how to configure as for example in 2.4 pto VTH20 that from what I was watching would be like the router would work offer up to 600Mbps, not that it makes me difference , just curious the will to learn more.

I will be downloading and installing the new buil the WRT3200 tomorrow, and thanks for the good work done. wink

EDIT: any news about luci-app-advanced-reboot ?

Guedes

(Last edited by gu3d3s on 25 Feb 2018, 22:24)

gu3d3s wrote:

EDIT: any news about luci-app-advanced-reboot ?Guedes

The advanced reboot work fine again in the last r6302 version.
The problem was already corrected a few weeks ago.

gu3d3s wrote:
davidc502 wrote:

*EDIT*

Hi Dave.

it was like I tested the speeds, at home I have computers and cell phones standard with vao up to 800Mbps home, above that I have never seen it, and all the names already with standard AC, and in the company for having a greater variety of people and devices, it was where I put the 3200, because the processors and menorah have as pulls the network with more tranquility.

I questioned because in the wifi options I did not find how to configure as for example in 2.4 pto VTH20 that from what I was watching would be like the router would work offer up to 600Mbps, not that it makes me difference , just curious the will to learn more.

I will be downloading and installing the new buil the WRT3200 tomorrow, and thanks for the good work done. wink

EDIT: any news about luci-app-advanced-reboot ?

Guedes

By the way, LuCi does say what speeds devices are connecting at, and perhaps you already know it.  Look under Overview and scroll down to Associated Stations, and look to the right where it says TX and RX Rates.

Advanced reboot is working again.

Looks as though kernel 4.14 is actively being worked on to fix issues.

Here are 2 new commits for the 1900/1200/3200 series.

mvebu: add missing patch for reprobing SFP phys for 4.14  …
@KanjiMonster
KanjiMonster committed 4 hours ago

mvebu: fix SFP insert detection GPIO name on 4.14  …
@KanjiMonster
KanjiMonster committed 4 hours ago

(Last edited by davidc502 on 26 Feb 2018, 02:48)

Those commits are actually in support of the sfp port on other mvebu targets(Turris Omnia,Clearfog). On the plus side that should be that last remaining issue for making 4.14 the default for the mvebu targets, which are working well by all accounts. So I think 4.14k will be default real soon.

Villeneuve wrote:

Those commits are actually in support of the sfp port on other mvebu targets(Turris Omnia,Clearfog). On the plus side that should be that last remaining issue for making 4.14 the default for the mvebu targets, which are working well by all accounts. So I think 4.14k will be default real soon.

How I wish the 3200acm had ports that supported sfp's.... 1Gig has been around a long time, and it just doesn't have the same impact it used to.

From what I understand 10gig tp uses a lot of power, and I don't know if that will be overcome any time soon. Really, Fiber is the way to go as those costs have come way way down.

Thanks for setting the record straight about those commits.

(Last edited by davidc502 on 26 Feb 2018, 04:08)

New wifi driver version mwlwifi-10.3.4.0-20180226 has been commit as well as new firmware.

I'll have it uploaded to the site tomorrow night.

gu3d3s wrote:

Hi,

Do not get the question wrong, but what commands or applications do you use for these reports?

it's iperf3 log.
In my case, i use

iperf3 -s -p 9000

on router, and

iperf3 -c <router IP> -p 9000 -V

on client (Windows notebook).

davidc502 wrote:

For those who just upgraded to r6302, there is now new wifi drivers AND firmware.

Get the latest driver from the link below.

https://davidc502sis.dynamic-dns.net/re … _vfpv3.ipk

Get the latest firmware update from the link below.

https://github.com/kaloz/mwlwifi/blob/5 … 8W8964.bin

Sorry if the question is basic, but how to proceed to update the driver and firmware in vs already installed?

I know I already saw something about it but I do not find it now that I need it, I recognize that my command knowledge of the terminal is very rusty: D, if friends can at least give me a north of where to start researching and studying the assent I thank you; )

Guedes

EDIT: I made the new installation (r6302), using the factory to, as this preserves the STOK partition, but I suspect another doubt, and is it safe to restore the faito backup of the last used version?

now wait how to install the new FE and wifi driver

(Last edited by gu3d3s on 27 Feb 2018, 00:10)

Look at #5 of FAQ to install new wifi driver   https://davidc502sis.dynamic-dns.net/faq/

I'm not sure if installing the wifi driver also replaces the Firmware, so I've always done it separately.

For the firmware you need a program like MobaXterm or WinSCP.  Create a new session and connect to the router. Navigate in Moba to /lib/firmware/mwlwifi/ and rename the old firmware to .old or something else to your liking, and then just drag and drop the new firmware into that directory and reboot.

davidc502 wrote:

For the firmware you need a program like MobaXterm or WinSCP.  Create a new session and connect to the router. Navigate in Moba to /lib/firmware/mwlwifi/ and rename the old firmware to .old or something else to your liking, and then just drag and drop the new firmware into that directory and reboot.

In addition to that, I notice that I need to do chmod +x for the firmware you copy to the /lib/firmware/mwlwifi directory, but it probably depends how you copied it.

anymouse617 wrote:
davidc502 wrote:

In addition to that, I notice that I need to do chmod +x for the firmware you copy to the /lib/firmware/mwlwifi directory, but it probably depends how you copied it.

I copied it over, but didn't look at the permissions... However after a reboot this is how it looked. I don't know if they changed during reboot or It just worked out.

root@lede:/lib/firmware/mwlwifi# ls -l
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        118776 Feb 24 09:12 88W8864.bin
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        489932 Feb 24 09:12 88W8897.bin
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        450512 Feb 24 09:12 88W8964.bin
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        449468 Feb 24 09:12 88W8964.old.bin
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          2140 Feb 24 09:12 Marvell_license.txt

(Last edited by davidc502 on 27 Feb 2018, 00:34)

anymouse617 wrote:
davidc502 wrote:

I'm Mac user try use FileZila (Sftp) or CyberDuck (Sftp), oe commnad line in terminal com SCP command yikes

Thaks guys for fast help,

EDIT : DONE! just install SFTP module big_smile copy and set permissions now rebbot.

EDIT 2: everything seems to have worked, I did my first test I liked the result (via LAN) I will see how it is in the WIFI,

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7093505226.png  by LAN Cable

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7093510908.png  By Wifi 5G

(Last edited by gu3d3s on 27 Feb 2018, 01:05)

gu3d3s wrote:
davidc502 wrote:

For those who just upgraded to r6302, there is now new wifi drivers AND firmware.

Get the latest driver from the link below.

https://davidc502sis.dynamic-dns.net/re … _vfpv3.ipk

Get the latest firmware update from the link below.

https://github.com/kaloz/mwlwifi/blob/5 … 8W8964.bin

Sorry if the question is basic, but how to proceed to update the driver and firmware in vs already installed?

I know I already saw something about it but I do not find it now that I need it, I recognize that my command knowledge of the terminal is very rusty: D, if friends can at least give me a north of where to start researching and studying the assent I thank you; )

Guedes

EDIT: I made the new installation (r6302), using the factory to, as this preserves the STOK partition, but I suspect another doubt, and is it safe to restore the faito backup of the last used version?

now wait how to install the new FE and wifi driver

I saved this from an earlier post I hope it helps you 

I substituted the files so that the driver and firmware are for Dave's current r6302 Build

First I always disable both wifi radios in Network - Wireless
Second - I remove wifi driver - you can remove wifi driver on this current Dave build r6302 with the command below:

opkg remove kmod-mwlwifi_4.9.82+10.3.4.0-20180118-1_arm_cortex-a9_vfpv3.ipk

Slightly easier way to update driver and firmware without using/needing SCP:
1) Make sure your router is connected to internet.  Make sure you are running @david's latest build (r5422).  This is mandatory in order to update the driver successfully and not put the router into a bootloop.

2) Download needed files to router.  Issue commands over SSH.
Go into temp folder from command line   -     cd /tmp   

use wget to get files into  /tmp folder

wget https://davidc502sis.dynamic-dns.net/re … _vfpv3.ipk
wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/kaloz … 8W8964.bin

3) Install latest driver

opkg install kmod-mwlwifi_4.9.82+10.3.4.0-20180226-1_arm_cortex-a9_vfpv3.ipk  ( while still in /tmp folder )

(not necessary to remove the old version driver first, nor turn wifi off and back on, since the updated driver/ipk file has a new version number and will update/install in-place perfectly fine--this has been tested).   NOT SURE ABOUT THIS STEP . THIS IS WHY I ALWAYS REMOVE DRIVER AND DISABLE WIFI !!!

4) Update latest firmware   -  Execute commands from /tmp or root folder
     mv /lib/firmware/mwlwifi/88W8964.bin /lib/firmware/mwlwifi/88W8964.bin.old
     mv /tmp/88W8964.bin /lib/firmware/mwlwifi/88W8964.bin

5) Reboot router
6) Enjoy!

(Last edited by directnupe on 27 Feb 2018, 05:06)

Hi directnupe,

thanks, it will be very useful, okay, I'll save it for future reference, but I think I got it right, I just forgot to turn off the radios, but apparently everything is working fine, I hope!

Now I'm trying to format and create a pendrive to use as / opt and install some ADD-ons, but in the tutorials I found it did not work, I think David vs. David is already updated, and in OS X there is no application to browse in EXT4 or F2fs ...

Hi @david,

Is Advanced Reboot not working on r5917? I am getting "This system does not have two partitions!" on LUCI's Advanced Reboot.

Is there another way, can I reboot to the other partitian via command line? how?

thanks in advance smile

(Last edited by benjie413 on 27 Feb 2018, 08:14)

Hi benjie413 to fix Advanced Reboot  log on with putty do opkg update then opkg install luci-app-advanced-reboot It will update the Advanced Reboot  and it will work again.

Hi,

@david : please include this ht tps://git.openwrt.org/?p=openwrt/staging/kaloz.git;a=commit;h=7ae59a2f288ba1cef23b20e1d36e199e8c646245 into your builds.
it is about supporting new nand chips (Winbond) used in new wrt3200acm units (and maybe wrt32x).

thanks

andyVSR wrote:

Hi,

@david : please include this ht tps://git.openwrt.org/?p=openwrt/staging/kaloz.git;a=commit;h=7ae59a2f288ba1cef23b20e1d36e199e8c646245 into your builds.
it is about supporting new nand chips (Winbond) used in new wrt3200acm units (and maybe wrt32x).

thanks

Patch 005-linksys_hardcode_nand_ecc_settings.patch will be introduced in the next kernel 4.14.x as I don't see any patches for 4.4 or 4.9.

In the last experimental build this patch was added and compiled without issue.

davidc502 wrote:

Patch 005-linksys_hardcode_nand_ecc_settings.patch will be introduced in the next kernel 4.14.x as I don't see any patches for 4.4 or 4.9.

To my understanding, for 4.4 and 4.9 only the DTS file needs to be patched (as the DTS is part of Openwrt sources).

For 4.14 there is a separate patch, as the DTS itself is upstreamed to Linux sources.

https://git.openwrt.org/?p=openwrt/stag … 08d3403a83