OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: davidc502 1900ac 3200acm builds

The content of this topic has been archived between 26 Feb 2018 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

Eyerex wrote:
davidc502 wrote:
Eyerex wrote:

Something went wonky

https://s23.postimg.org/xh5tf3uiz/Untitled_2.jpg

Did you flash from the Stock Firmware over to LEDE?  This would mean the Stock Firmware is still on the 1st partition.

If YES ; then

Determine which partition you are on from command line (SSH).

fw_printenv boot_part

example:
root@lede:~# fw_printenv boot_part
boot_part=1

To boot to partition 2 run this command.  Partiton 1  or Partition 2

fw_setenv boot_part 2
reboot

Else  - Can you show what command that was given that gave the "ERROR: Missing localized string!"

Got her going again did the hold reset then release and turn on and off 4 times

Strange thing was the router had loaded the stock Linksys firmware as it's wifi showed up on my PC but i couldn't access the router settings via 192.168.1.1 or SSH using putty

When going back to stock, be sure to clear browser cache.

I wasn't aware the stock firmware would connect to a SSH client.

I forget to say when it came back to life it went back to LEDE

Sounds like you flashed LEDE twice without going back to Linksys to flash? That would explain the gong back to LEDE. I agree with David I don't think that ssh client is supported on the stock firmware.

--bill

@davidc502

Hi David!

I first flashed my Linksys 1900ACSv2 with LEDE over linksys stock firmware. Without going back to the Linksys firmware, I flashed it again. Now, I have LEDE on both partition 1 and 2. How can I re-flash the Linksys stock firmware on partition 1 and activate the revert mode for safety?

Thanks for your help!

--omostan

P.S: I have to say that LEDE is very stable and the performance is very impressive. Despite some posts complaining about the beauty of the GUI design, I really like Material. Thank you for the good work!

(Last edited by omostan on 18 Dec 2016, 11:58)

omostan wrote:

@davidc502

Hi David!

I first flashed my Linksys 1900ACSv2 with LEDE over linksys stock firmware. Without going back to the Linksys firmware, I flashed it again. Now, I have LEDE on both partition 1 and 2. How can I re-flash the Linksys stock firmware on partition 1 and activate the revert mode for safety?

Thanks for your help!

--omostan

P.S: I have to say that LEDE is very stable and the performance is very impressive. Despite some posts complaining about the beauty of the GUI design, I really like Material. Thank you for the good work!

Look at my previous post (on the previous page) to see how to flash back to stock.  Then while on stock, flash the linksys firmware again (using the normal method of updating firmware from the Linksys interface at 192.168.1.1).  This will put the stock Linksys firmware on both partitions.  Then flash LEDE from stock and you'll have LEDE on one partition and stock on the other.

Then in the future, the saftest way to update versions of LEDE is to use the command @david posted "fw_setenv boot_part" (look back just a couple posts) to boot back to stock then flash LEDE.  That way you should never have to flash stock again, but it will always be available.

(Last edited by starcms on 18 Dec 2016, 13:20)

@David

There are reports on mwlwifi repo that kernel 4.8.15 improves performance on all WRT devices (with latest mwlwifi driver) especially the wrt3200acm.

Also one question, is hardware accelerated openssl enabled on your builds? If yes, on which build?

I am running r1967 and haven't felt the need to update at all, mainly because of super stable wifi. (didn't wanna break it)
However, I don't think hardware accelerated openssl is enabled on r1967.

nadeem.ateyeh wrote:

Also one question, is hardware accelerated openssl enabled on your builds? If yes, on which build?

I am running r1967 and haven't felt the need to update at all, mainly because of super stable wifi. (didn't wanna break it)
However, I don't think hardware accelerated openssl is enabled on r1967.

Kryptodev is an included engine with OpenSSL in the latest build, but testing shows it offers no additional speed compared to the "dynamic" engine.

Thanks for responding.

Are you planning to take a look at kernel 4.8.x soon for the upcoming build? I heard really good things about it.

nadeem.ateyeh wrote:

Thanks for responding.

Are you planning to take a look at kernel 4.8.x soon for the upcoming build? I heard really good things about it.

I've been down the road before with previous kernel upgrades, and it always takes time to work through the various obvious issues, not including the not so obvious ones. There has been a marked increase in posted issues since folks have fooling around with the new kernel, so that alone tells me to stay back and let the dust settle.

Best Regards,

Could someone who knows how to build, please make the wifi driver that came with r2221 (1013-1) compatible with the latest r2446 build which uses kernel 4.4.36 instead of 4.4.32?  Thanks so much!!

starcms wrote:

Could someone who knows how to build, please make the wifi driver that came with r2221 (1013-1) compatible with the latest r2446 build which uses kernel 4.4.36 instead of 4.4.32?  Thanks so much!!

Any particular reason for 4.4.36? Trunk is at 4.4.38 already, and soon to be 4.4.39.

@starcms

Thanks for the response. I did exactly as you said and all is well again. Now, I have the stock firmware on partition 2 and openwrt on partition 1. I have also tried switching back and forth and everything work flawlessly. Thanks buddy!

cybrnook2002 wrote:
starcms wrote:

Any particular reason for 4.4.36? Trunk is at 4.4.38 already, and soon to be 4.4.39.

Because I like to run @david's builds and his latest is r2446 which uses kernel 4.4.36.

Any help would be much appreciated!  If I try taking the time to learn how to build, set up a build env, build, etc, @david will be up to r9999 and kernel will be at 5.0 lol smile

edit: If it matters, I am on a WRT1200AC v1 which is only 2x2:2.  And I believe the wifi driver version I am looking for is 1011 not 1013-1 as it's named on @david's repo.

(Last edited by starcms on 18 Dec 2016, 19:05)

Going to have to drop back to r2221. Getting pauses on 5GHz wireless tonight after having been up for  8 days and had been performing without issue running r2446. However, tonight I was watching some videos on my NAS which is Ethernet attached to router. Watching video using a Amazon Fire TV connected on 5GHz wireless. Have done this many times over the last few days without issue.

Will change to r2221 tomorrow when no one is using the network.

--bill

@david, because of issues with 1124 wifi driver, any chance of either reverting to 1011 for your next release, issuing a release of r2446 with 1011, or issuing a 1011 driver compiled to work on r2446 (kernel 4.4.36)?

Much thanks!

starcms wrote:

@david, because of issues with 1124 wifi driver, any chance of either reverting to 1011 for your next release, issuing a release of r2446 with 1011, or issuing a 1011 driver compiled to work on r2446 (kernel 4.4.36)?

Much thanks!

Will probably do the latest, but make the 1011 available to download for those who wish to go back.

It's six or half dozen for me.

Btw, just curious, why is the 1011 driver named 1013-1 in the repo (not only in yours)?

(Last edited by starcms on 19 Dec 2016, 15:07)

starcms wrote:

Btw, just curious, why is the 1011 driver named 1013-1 in the repo (not only in yours)?

While waiting for David's build. If you want to just test the 1011 driver (and 4.4.38 Kernel), I have a build for the 1200 you can test in the meantime.
https://forum.lede-project.org/t/commun … 200acm/545

@davidc502, seems the "noise" bug has now evolved to a mwlwifi issue, and robd3 found the commits/reverts where support was removed. Hopefully we can get it added back in.

https://github.com/kaloz/mwlwifi/issues/129

(Last edited by cybrnook2002 on 19 Dec 2016, 17:18)

David, got myself into a bind with r2446 on a WRT1200AC that I'm hoping failsafe mode will get me out of... However, I'm finding that I don't seem to get a LAN connection to my PC across the WAN port.  I have my PC manually configured to be 192.168.1.2, with the other end of the cable in the WAN port and nothing else connected.  I used the WPS switch (small blue one at the back) to trigger failsafe mode, and the "power on" LED blinks quickly, seeming to indicate that I've succeeded in getting into failsafe mode.  But I get nothing across the LAN connection.  Do you know if your builds work across the WAN access port (as 192.168.1.1)?  I can try cracking the device open and using the serial connection if necessary, but if I'm missing something or there's some wrinkle involved here, I'd like to know that first.  Thanks in advance!

drfranco wrote:

David, got myself into a bind with r2446 on a WRT1200AC that I'm hoping failsafe mode will get me out of... However, I'm finding that I don't seem to get a LAN connection to my PC across the WAN port.  I have my PC manually configured to be 192.168.1.2, with the other end of the cable in the WAN port and nothing else connected.  I used the WPS switch (small blue one at the back) to trigger failsafe mode, and the "power on" LED blinks quickly, seeming to indicate that I've succeeded in getting into failsafe mode.  But I get nothing across the LAN connection.  Do you know if your builds work across the WAN access port (as 192.168.1.1)?  I can try cracking the device open and using the serial connection if necessary, but if I'm missing something or there's some wrinkle involved here, I'd like to know that first.  Thanks in advance!

Have you tried the manual method?

Power off router with power switch.
Turn power back on and Power LED will light.

As soon as all LEDs turn off (~2s), power off router with power switch

Turn power back on and allow router to fully boot.

For those who flashed back to stock or something else and have Luci remain in their browsers, ie unable to log on to 192.168.1.1, there is a workaround and no need to clear cache if you are on Chrome or Opera, haven't test other browsers:

If you are on chrome:
Add the following URL: view-source:192.168.1.1
Hit enter
You'll see some html code, which has a redirect to the former openwrt admin page
Hit F5 for reload
The redirect should be deleted now.

David, I was able to boot into failsafe mode using your method (as indicated by the rapid blinking of the power LED), but still no luck getting an SSH session across the WAN port, where one looks for the router to respond to 192.168.1.1 when the other end is manually configured to be at 192.168.1.2.  I guess I'll have to crack it open and try the serial port.

drfranco wrote:

David, I was able to boot into failsafe mode using your method (as indicated by the rapid blinking of the power LED), but still no luck getting an SSH session across the WAN port, where one looks for the router to respond to 192.168.1.1 when the other end is manually configured to be at 192.168.1.2.  I guess I'll have to crack it open and try the serial port.

I've never heard of this failsafe mode, connecting PC to WAN port, setting PC IP to 192.168.1.2, etc.

Just leave your PC on DHCP, connect to any LAN port, and do what @david said to boot from the secondary partition. You shouldn't see any rapid blinking LED with this method.

David, more bad news, I'm afraid.  After booting into failsafe mode with an FTDI USB-232R-3V3 cable (just GND, Tx, and Rx attached to the serial header pins), I get nothing on the serial console, either.  And this isn't the first time I've used this device to connect to a serial header -- I used the same cable and setup on a laptop to connect to the serial console in Netgear WNR3500L and -Lv2 routers.

@starcms:  The failsafe recovery is covered here:  wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/generic.failsafe  .  One thing I do not understand about booting into the alternate partition:  Right now I have the most recent Linksys firmware on the alternate partition.  If I boot into that partition, how to I go about modifying files in the LEDE partition?

Note that I'm not quite bricked here -- I think I can effect a reset to clear the /overlay partition.  The problem is, I'll lose a good couple of days of work.  Since I know failsafe doesn't work now, though, I'll do more frequent backups.

Sorry, posts 776 to 775 are missing from our archive.