OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: davidc502 1900ac 3200acm builds

The content of this topic has been archived between 26 Feb 2018 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

puppinoo wrote:

hehe... it was a bit tricky cause I needed it to work behind a VPN.
If anyone interested now it's much easier with latest OpenVPN version cause 2.4 supports selective push ignore.
I just had to add this directive so I can ignore dns server pushed buit still accept the redirect gateway.

pull-filter ignore "dhcp-option DNS "
( option pull_filter 'ignore "dhcp-option DNS "' for LEDE syntax )
So you can reroute your traffic but still use a DNS server of your choice.

Thanks for help.

If you are using a VPN, you shouldn't need/use dnscrypt (nor dnssec).  Your VPN should provide you with a DNS server to connect to.  By using dnscrypt, you are transmitting your dns requests to a server outside the VPN.  Although most of the dnscrypt server say they don't keep logs, it's still opening a potential security hole in your VPN.  You should only connect to the DNS server inside of your VPN.

eliaspizarro wrote:

I read this forum but i think there is no anwser for the problem: wlan1 (2.4Ghz) signal drops randomly.

Model: WRT1200ac V2
Firmware: Lede Reboot SNAPSHOT r4222-7142cb4 / LuCI Master (git-17.145.19303-ee6110b)

Try the following:

opkg update
opkg remove wpad
opkg install wpad-mini
reboot

It will be fixed in @david's next release (if this is indeed what is causing your problem).

starcms wrote:
eliaspizarro wrote:

I read this forum but i think there is no anwser for the problem: wlan1 (2.4Ghz) signal drops randomly.

Model: WRT1200ac V2
Firmware: Lede Reboot SNAPSHOT r4222-7142cb4 / LuCI Master (git-17.145.19303-ee6110b)

Try the following:

opkg update
opkg remove wpad
opkg install wpad-mini
reboot

It will be fixed in @david's next release (if this is indeed what is causing your problem).

Again, no changes:

Syslog

Wed Jun  7 16:52:57 2017 daemon.info dnsmasq[3820]: read /etc/hosts - 4 addresses
Wed Jun  7 16:52:57 2017 daemon.info dnsmasq[3820]: read /tmp/hosts/dhcp.cfg02411c - 1 addresses
Wed Jun  7 16:52:57 2017 daemon.info dnsmasq-dhcp[3820]: read /etc/ethers - 0 addresses
Wed Jun  7 16:52:59 2017 daemon.notice hostapd: wlan1: AP-STA-CONNECTED 00:4f:78:01:e8:16
Wed Jun  7 16:55:15 2017 daemon.notice hostapd: wlan1: AP-STA-DISCONNECTED 00:4f:78:01:e8:16
Wed Jun  7 16:56:14 2017 daemon.notice hostapd: wlan1: AP-STA-CONNECTED 00:4f:78:01:e8:16
Wed Jun  7 16:56:25 2017 daemon.notice hostapd: wlan1: AP-STA-DISCONNECTED 00:4f:78:01:e8:16
Wed Jun  7 16:56:44 2017 daemon.notice hostapd: wlan1: AP-STA-CONNECTED 00:4f:78:01:e8:16

Kernel Log

[   15.637082] br-lan: port 2(wlan1) entered blocking state
[   15.642462] br-lan: port 2(wlan1) entered disabled state
[   15.648005] device wlan1 entered promiscuous mode
[   15.652807] br-lan: port 2(wlan1) entered blocking state
[   15.658159] br-lan: port 2(wlan1) entered forwarding state
[   15.681655] br-lan: port 2(wlan1) entered disabled state
[   20.785984] ieee80211 phy1: change: 0x100
[   20.798085] ieee80211 phy1: change: 0x42
[   20.958583] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): wlan1: link becomes ready
[   20.965073] br-lan: port 2(wlan1) entered blocking state
[   20.970409] br-lan: port 2(wlan1) entered forwarding state

(Last edited by eliaspizarro on 7 Jun 2017, 21:59)

eliaspizarro wrote:

Again, no changes:

Kernel log isn't necessary.  The portion you put was from boot-up, and looks fine.  If the kernel has any important logging info during the wifi disconnects, it will show up in the system log.

First thing to check, do you have this 2.4GHz disconnect problem on the stock Linksys firmware?

Look a few pages back.  I'm pretty sure someone else was having this exact same issue; I think only on 2.4GHz too.  I think they may have even had a 1200V2.  I don't think he found a fix, but I'm not positive.  There seems to have been some bad luck and issues with the 1200V2 (again, look back a few pages).  I have a 1200V1 and never an issue.

How often is it disconnecting?  It seems to reconnect pretty fast -- within a minute.  Does this affect all your 2.4GHz devices or just one?  Also, do you experience problems with slow speeds on 2.4 and 5GHz?. 

Just curious, when you go to LuCi --> Network --> Wireless, where it displays the Signal / Noise of all the connected devices (doesn't matter if it 2.4 or 5GHz), does your 1200V2 show the signal value?  And it is a reasonable reading (anywhere from -50 to -85) and changing slightly every 5 or 10 seconds?   Or is it stuck at about -89 for all your devices.  The signal level, not the noise level (which should be approx -88 to -95).  Just curious because someone else having issues with a 1200V2 didn't have their signal level showing properly.

I honestly believe there were some manufacturing defects with some of the 1200V2 (to my knowledge, there are now 4 people with 1200V2s that frequent this thread --- and 3 of them have issues with them, such as slow speed, incorrect noise level, and possibly this disconnect issue -- and 1 who does not have any issues.  Surprisingly, the 1 person with a 1200V2 without any issues bought his refurbished from Linksys).

(Last edited by starcms on 7 Jun 2017, 23:16)

New builds r4323 are now available for download...  This includes the new wifi driver and dnscrypt fix among other fixes.

davidc502 wrote:

New builds r4323 are now available for download...  This includes the new wifi driver and dnscrypt fix among other fixes.

Awesome!!  Thanks!!

Edit: Up and running on my 1200AC V1.  Working perfectly!

(Last edited by starcms on 8 Jun 2017, 00:01)

Model                    Linksys WRT1900AC v1

Firmware Version    Lede Reboot SNAPSHOT
                                r4323-1898f73 / LuCI Master (git-17.152.82962-a9e8376)

Kernel Version        4.9.30

Uptime                   0h 37m 21s

Flashed up without issue so far.

Quickly, ran an attached Foscam remote camera 70 kms away which keeps an eye on Grandma, which worked without issue.  Did a couple of downloads, wired connection, no issue.
Ran Netflix box, while running a youtube  on the desktop without issue, wired connection, no issue.

HPLaserJetPro_m401dw printer on 2.4Ghz channel:

42 / -85 dBm
72.2 Mbit/s, 20MHz, MCS 7, Short GI

Also picked up the ILCE-6000 Sony DSLR camera WiFi connection on the 2.4 Ghz channel without issue.

Samsung Note 3 on 5 Ghz channel

-77 / -90 dBm
260.0 Mbit/s, 80MHz, VHT-MCS 5, VHT-NSS 1, Short GI

Passed the 37 minutes mark without rebooting.
Will post an update sometime tomorrow on the bootloop issue on V1s...

Cheers

Hans   smile

Edit:  Uptime:   0h 55m 45s   before first reboot

Thus to recap we've progressed from 5-10min, 20-30min, and now 45-55min reboot cycles with the latest r4323 build. As I've checked in between whilst prepping supper. Definitely moving in the right direction though not yet solved...    smile

(Last edited by hancor on 8 Jun 2017, 01:49)

hancor wrote:

Model                    Linksys WRT1900AC v1

Uptime                   0h 37m 21s

Flashed up without issue so far.

Passed the 37 minutes mark without rebooting.
Will post an update sometime tomorrow on the bootloop issue on V1s...

Cheers

Hans   smile

Very interesting!  Wonder if the mamba reboot issue with kernel 4.9 has been fixed.  I didn't see any commits to that effect, but I guess we'll find out tomorrow when you post back.

Hey @sleepy-daemon -- did you ever find a solution to this. I ran into the same thing with the same router as you (wrt1200ac-v2) and SNAPSHOT r4222-7142cb4.  I ran into the same thing when I tried to install strongswan. I was following the guide strongswan.howto

I used this command

opkg install strongswan-default strongswan-mod-dhcp strongswan-mod-af-alg strongswan-mod-gcrypt \ 
      strongswan-mod-blowfish strongswan-mod-md4 strongswan-mod-openssl strongswan-mod-pkcs11 \
      strongswan-mod-pkcs8 strongswan-mod-test-vectors strongswan-mod-farp

and I ran into:

Configuring kmod-lib-zlib-inflate.
failed to find a module named zlib_inflate
Configuring kmod-lib-zlib-deflate.
failed to find a module named zlib_deflate
Collected errors:
 * pkg_run_script: package "kmod-lib-zlib-inflate" postinst script returned status 255.
 * opkg_configure: kmod-lib-zlib-inflate.postinst returned 255.
 * pkg_run_script: package "kmod-lib-zlib-deflate" postinst script returned status 255.
 * opkg_configure: kmod-lib-zlib-deflate.postinst returned 255.

Anyone else have suggestions or workarounds. Thanks so much for any help, the community here is awesome.

sleepy-daemon wrote:

Hello everyone.

Today tried snapshot r4049-9412fc2 on wrt1200ac-v2 and had issue with strongswan installation:
------------------
root@router:~# opkg install strongswan-default
Package strongswan-default (5.5.2-1) installed in root is up to date.
Configuring kmod-lib-zlib-inflate.
failed to find a module named zlib_inflate
Configuring kmod-lib-zlib-deflate.
failed to find a module named zlib_deflate
Collected errors:
* pkg_run_script: package "kmod-lib-zlib-inflate" postinst script returned status 255.
* opkg_configure: kmod-lib-zlib-inflate.postinst returned 255.
* pkg_run_script: package "kmod-lib-zlib-deflate" postinst script returned status 255.
* opkg_configure: kmod-lib-zlib-deflate.postinst returned 255.

Installed version never success to establish vpn session:
------------
[IKE] remote host is behind NAT
[IKE] DH group CURVE_25519 inacceptable, requesting CURVE_25519
[ENC] generating IKE_SA_INIT response 0 [ N(INVAL_KE) ]
(in a loop)

Is first issue somehow specific to that specific snapshot? Can 1st and second issues be connected (compression is off)?
I was using openwrt 15.01 release without strongswan issues on same configs (i made backup of my ipsec.conf), but wifi and usb-storage are crappy on 15.01.

(Last edited by lacroixboi on 8 Jun 2017, 00:50)

@david

up & running with the latest Build , the connection speed is super!

Thank you smile

@david

Arg!  They just pushed kernel 4.9.31 into the snapshot/master branch.  It's almost as if they wait for you to build a new version to change something important lol.  It is all security fixes.

starcms wrote:

@david

Arg!  They just pushed kernel 4.9.31 into the snapshot/master branch.  It's almost as if they wait for you to build a new version to change something important lol.  It is all security fixes.

I see the word marvell in a lot of those patches... hmmm. I'll test an official snapshot later just to be sure there isn't anything else in there.

Edit: just hit 6h 4m 54s uptime on the official snapshot (r4354-55623a9)

(Last edited by listerwrt on 8 Jun 2017, 13:29)

starcms wrote:

@david

It's amazing how that works... lol

starcms wrote:
puppinoo wrote:

hehe... it was a bit tricky cause I needed it to work behind a VPN.
If anyone interested now it's much easier with latest OpenVPN version cause 2.4 supports selective push ignore.
I just had to add this directive so I can ignore dns server pushed buit still accept the redirect gateway.

pull-filter ignore "dhcp-option DNS "
( option pull_filter 'ignore "dhcp-option DNS "' for LEDE syntax )
So you can reroute your traffic but still use a DNS server of your choice.

Thanks for help.

If you are using a VPN, you shouldn't need/use dnscrypt (nor dnssec).  Your VPN should provide you with a DNS server to connect to.  By using dnscrypt, you are transmitting your dns requests to a server outside the VPN.  Although most of the dnscrypt server say they don't keep logs, it's still opening a potential security hole in your VPN.  You should only connect to the DNS server inside of your VPN.

Hi,
Even if I'm pretty newbie I wondered myself if it was worth the effort or even counterproductive to rely on an external dns server but I noticed that my vpn provider (maybe because it's cheap) pushes me 8.8.8.8 as dns server so I thought that even the shi**iest dnscrypt+dnssec was better than that security wise... but I repeat these are consideration by my lack of experience. I really appreciate advice on this matter.

here's the push options removed:
Wed Jun  7 21:57:09 2017 PUSH: Received control message: 'PUSH_REPLY,redirect-gateway def1,dhcp-option DNS 8.8.8.8,dhcp-option DNS 8.8.4.4,route-gateway xxxxxxx,topology subnet,ping 10,ping-restart 30,ifconfig xxxxxxxxx 255.255.255.0'
Wed Jun  7 21:57:09 2017 Pushed option removed by filter: 'dhcp-option DNS 8.8.8.8'
Wed Jun  7 21:57:09 2017 Pushed option removed by filter: 'dhcp-option DNS 8.8.4.4'

Regards.

(Last edited by puppinoo on 8 Jun 2017, 14:31)

EDIT: I think those were just warning cause it seems installed under the name of "load balancing".
I'm so ignorant on the matter that I'm not even sure about that. I'll check big_smile

Hi,
I'm trying to solve the selective routing problem with OpenVPN.
After a few reading I'd like to impelment this solution

https://www.leowkahman.com/2016/06/19/c … stname-ip/

It's a bit overkill cause it intends to use multiple VPNs when (if I understood correctly) I only need one VPN and 1 WAN

btw during installations this error occurred.
root@LEDE:~# opkg install luci-app-mwan3
Installing luci-app-mwan3 (git-17.145.19303-ee6110b-1) to root...
Downloading https://davidc502sis.dynamic-dns.net/sn … -1_all.ipk
Configuring luci-app-mwan3.
uci: Parse error (invalid character in name field) at line 207, byte 28
uci: Parse error (invalid character in name field) at line 207, byte 28

It's the UCI plugin so I guess it's not essential if you configure everything from command line but I wonder if it can be solved.

Regards.

(Last edited by puppinoo on 8 Jun 2017, 17:05)

Model                    Linksys WRT1900AC v1

Okay, gave it the old college try and got reboots on the v1 model with the following time snaps:

16m51s, 26m48s, 38m56s, 44m57s, 47m32s, and the longest thus far 55m45s

From an objective point of view, I can safely say that the reboot cycle is lengthening; but not yet solved.

Cheers

Hans   smile

Thanks for trying.

davidc502 wrote:

Was it determined that the changes were not extensive enough to be worthy of a custom WRT1900AC v1 build?

Hello community, FNG on here and just picked up an WRT1900AC V1. It was on clearance at Walmart for $60 so I couldn't just pass on the deal. So a friend recommended I install OpenWRT on this router so I did some looking around the interweb. Came across this forum and thread. So that leads me to ask. Are there any known issues to the firmware should I decide to flash OpenWRT on this said model? Another person I know who has the ACS version said that my model has been know to have issues and I wanted to come in here to maybe get confirmation. I'm mostly intending to use this just exclusively for wifi devices and streaming Netflix and such. No gaming as I have another router for that in my home network. Who knows if I find it to be stable I may end up using it for gaming as well since I've heard some high praise for SQM. So that's my story pretty much. In conclusion I want to find out really the stability of the firmware ( latest or old ). Looking forward to y'all replies and I'm happy to be apart of this community. Thank you for your time.

(Last edited by R3MIX on 9 Jun 2017, 16:08)

zabolots wrote:
davidc502 wrote:

Was it determined that the changes were not extensive enough to be worthy of a custom WRT1900AC v1 build?

No, don't think so.  I have no issues putting it out there. Will work on it tonight.

davidc502 wrote:
zabolots wrote:
davidc502 wrote:

No, don't think so.  I have no issues putting it out there. Will work on it tonight.

Great, thanks!

As this will be my first time upgrading LEDE (was driven here specifically by the 4.4.x kernel builds for v1 owners), is there a way to do an in-place upgrade that will keep my Linksys partition in tact? I had previously always swapped partitions and booted back to Linksys to to a firmware update but I thought that I had read (but can't currently find in this monstrous thread smile ) that there was a way to upgrade the currently running LEDE partition. Is that possible?

zabolots wrote:

As this will be my first time upgrading LEDE (was driven here specifically by the 4.4.x kernel builds for v1 owners), is there a way to do an in-place upgrade that will keep my Linksys partition in tact?

Yes, with a trick.

All firmwares (Linksys OEM firmware, Openwrt and LEDE) always flash the "other" partition.
Change boot to the Linksys partition and then flash "factory" LEDE/Openwrt image from there, so you will overwrite the current Openwrt/LEDE partition. you will lose your Openwrt/LEDE settings, but the Linksys partition will stay intact.

Ps. you might be able to also trick the sysupgrade process to flash the current partition by manually updating the u-boot boot partition selection arguments before the sysupgrade, but as I have not tried that myself, no specific advice about that solution... The solution would be to first change the u-boot boot parameters to the other partition, so that sysupgrade will think that it needs to flash this current partition (instead of the other).

(Last edited by hnyman on 9 Jun 2017, 18:12)

R3MIX wrote:

Hello community, FNG on here and just picked up an WRT1900AC V1. It was on clearance at Walmart for $60 so I couldn't just pass on the deal. So a friend recommended I install OpenWRT on this router so I did some looking around the interweb. Came across this forum and thread. So that leads me to ask. Are there any known issues to the firmware should I decide to flash OpenWRT on this said model? Another person I know who has the ACS version said that my model has been know to have issues and I wanted to come in here to maybe get confirmation. I'm mostly intending to use this just exclusively for wifi devices and streaming Netflix and such. No gaming as I have another router for that in my home network. Who knows if I find it to be stable I may end up using it for gaming as well since I've heard some high praise for SQM. So that's my story pretty much. In conclusion I want to find out really the stability of the firmware ( latest or old ). Looking forward to y'all replies and I'm happy to be apart of this community. Thank you for your time.

Welcome to LEDE/OpenWRT.

For the 1900AC Verson 1 you will want to use the image compiled to use the 4.4.x kernel found here > https://davidc502sis.dynamic-dns.net/sn … u/generic/

It's a stable image that has sqm built in. However, you may need to ask questions on how to get it set up right. Just post it out on in the General discussions, and I'm sure someone will help you if needed.

By the way... The issue your friend may be talking about is the images compiled with Kernel version 4.9.x. This kernel version currently will cause the V1 to reboot about every hour.  So, be sure to stick with the images with kernel version 4.4.x, and you will be fine for stability.

My first OpenWrt router was the 1900ac Version 1 and it's a fine router, that should do everything, and more than what you need it to do.  Wifi has had a few years to get honed, so I'm sure that won't be a problem either.

Best regards,

*EDIT*  If coming from the Linksys factory firmware, use the file named  lede-mvebu-linksys-wrt1900ac-squashfs-factory.img  to flash with.

(Last edited by davidc502 on 9 Jun 2017, 21:15)

davidc502 wrote:
R3MIX wrote:

Welcome to LEDE/OpenWRT.

It's a stable image that has sqm built in. However, you may need to ask questions on how to get it set up right. Just post it out on in the General discussions, and I'm sure someone will help you if needed.

By the way... The issue your friend may be talking about is the images compiled with Kernel version 4.9.x. This kernel version currently will cause the V1 to reboot about every hour.  So, be sure to stick with the images with kernel version 4.4.x, and you will be fine for stability.

My first OpenWrt router was the 1900ac Version 1 and it's a fine router, that should do everything, and more than what you need it to do.  Wifi has had a few years to get honed, so I'm sure that won't be a problem either.

Best regards,

*EDIT*  If coming from the Linksys factory firmware, use the file named  lede-mvebu-linksys-wrt1900ac-squashfs-factory.img  to flash with.

Thanks for your prompt reply. So to clarify I should use the file on your edit and not the file on the first paragraph?

@R3MIX

The link brings you to a directory where there is 2 to choose from; a .bin and .img. You want to use the file name ending in .img. You would use the file ending in .bin when you want to do an upgrade.

Sorry, posts 2276 to 2275 are missing from our archive.