OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: which image for WGT634U?

The content of this topic has been archived on 14 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi, this is probably a simple question but I don't seem to be finding anything in the docs...

I went through the configuration and buildroot procedure for WhiteRussian and my target
device is a WGT634U. When it finished, the openwrt/bin directory contained:

openwrt-brcm-2.4-jffs2-4MB.trx           openwrt-wrt54g3g-jffs2.bin
openwrt-brcm-2.4-jffs2-8MB.trx           openwrt-wrt54g3g-squashfs.bin
openwrt-brcm-2.4-squashfs.trx            openwrt-wrt54g-jffs2.bin
OpenWrt-ImageBuilder-Linux-mips.tar.bz2  openwrt-wrt54gs-jffs2.bin
OpenWrt-SDK-Linux-mips-1.tar.bz2         openwrt-wrt54g-squashfs.bin
openwrt-wa840g-jffs2.bin                 openwrt-wrt54gs-squashfs.bin
openwrt-wa840g-squashfs.bin              openwrt-wrt54gs_v4-jffs2.bin
openwrt-we800g-jffs2.bin                 openwrt-wrt54gs_v4-squashfs.bin
openwrt-we800g-squashfs.bin              openwrt-wrtsl54gs-jffs2.bin
openwrt-wr850g-jffs2-4MB.bin             openwrt-wrtsl54gs-squashfs.bin
openwrt-wr850g-jffs2-8MB.bin             packages/
openwrt-wr850g-squashfs.bin

Is one of these the proper image for the WGT634U or did I miss something?

Thanks for any info.

-Brian

Looks like I missed something big... According to the following post if nothing has changed since then, WhiteRussian isn't supported on the WGT634U.

http://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=33&p=9

Not sure whether I should try again with Kamikaze or maybe OpenWGT? I'm looking for something stable since this will be a production server. I only need a minimal install, just one ethernet+usb+serial console. No need for wireless/wired routing functionality.

The major attraction is no moving parts (no hard disk, no cooling fans). Looking to build an image that will run for years and years without locking up or requiring a reboot. The unit will be burried in an off-site phone closet...

Thanks for any info.

you need to build a 2.6 kernel / kamikaze in order to boot OpenWrt on your Netgear. If you've attached a serial console, i can offer you my prebuilt images and program repository at http://klasseonline.dyndns.org/index.php?load=openwrt. Please contact me directly for the needed password (or use the one supplied by Yasha).

greetings,
andy

Andy,  many thanks for the info and the files. It's good to know that your WGT634U is running well with Kamikaze.

I'm currently in the process of building Kamikaze - it's been compiling since yesterday and still going... I do have the serial console working and the login from Yasha. I'll give the prebuilt images a try if the build doesn't finish correctly.

Thanks again,
Brian

Hello mauritzius.

I just installed your firmware image on my wgt634u.

Is it normal that I get absolutely no network at all?
From the serial console, I can see that even the /etc/config/network file is not there.

Thanks!

Stan

Hum.

I just compiled myself a build, r4377, and I have the same missing files...

Weird...

Stan

The discussion might have continued from here.