OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: WRT54G Pinging but no more.

The content of this topic has been archived on 27 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Ok so it looks like I may be a moron.  I had the latest firware from linksys running on my wrt54g (AMD chip) and I decided to flash it with Hyper 2.0b3.  I ended up with a bricked box and a blinking red Diag light.  The box would not respond to ping or light up for the lan connection.  I opened the box and shorted the pins to get the unit de-bricked.  I then used tftp to reinstall the linksys firmware.  Now the box will come up on its own and respond to ping, however it will not do anything else and i still have a blinking red diag light.  I have tried flashing with other files but nothing will flash but the latest Linksys file.  So now I have a de-bricked wrt but i cannot get it to reach a point that it can actually be used again.  Suggestions for the noob?

Also it will not allow any other firware's other than Linksys.

The fact it has a diag light an an amd flash chip means it's an original v1.0. The flashing diag led means that the firmware is not booting or invalid and you need to tftp a working firmware, in tftp's binary mode, to 192.168.1.1.

If you read anything this should have been the first thing that you tried, so I'm a little confused as to why you asked. Make sure to use a standard tftp client, not one from linksys which uses a password, and make sure there's no networking issues trying to send to 192.168.1.1.

I have tried to tftp several firmware versions all with the same blinking red light result.  Is it possible that the latest version from Linksys 3.01.3 will not allow to flash backwards?  If not then please recommend a firmware.

Also I have re-loaded the 3.01.3 (the only one that actually tftp's sucessfully) and I am still blinking red.  Also is the binary mode a setting in the program or does the tftp.exe run in binary mode all the time?

So here is something interesting.  I got frustrated and just tried flashing and reflashing the router over and over again with different firmwares.  And after one attempt with the latest version from Linksys I actually got the router to come back to life!!!  Sooooo, now that I have a working WRT54G V 1.0 with the latest firmware 3.01.3 is there a way for me to put a 3rd party version on this box that will allow me to boot the output of my router in order to serve my entire house effectively???? Any input is welcome.

What pin did you short again? Or grounded?

I am having the same problem.

Got it working. Do not listen to advise of shorting 2 and 3.  I've got it working by listening to Oleg.

I have a needle point alligator clip that bind to the post (ground) and cut the other end in a slanted position with a nail nipper (not the Gem clipper) for touching pin 10 of the AMD flash chip.

The discussion might have continued from here.