OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Newbie Question

The content of this topic has been archived on 4 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi!

I am entirely new to OpenWrt, but I hope I read the docs correctly.

Next to me I have a brand new ASUS WL-500g Premium. I bought that device because of the larger memory.

Now I am trying to get OpenWrt onto it. In the Wiki (http://wiki.openwrt.org/OpenWrtDocs/Har … us/WL500GP) it says that the openwrt-brcm-2.4-jffs2-4MB.trx image should work fine on that router, but I cannot upload it through the router's original web interface. It just get's refused.

Well, I understand I should use a .bin file to upload it through the web interface. But I cannot find a .bin image for the ASUS WL-500g anywhere. As a .bin is nothing but a .trx plus some headers I might be able to create a .bin myself, but what info would I have to put into the headers and what tool should I use?

I was also thinking about the TFTP method, but I understand even then I should use a .bin instead of a .trx image? And even if this is wrong and I could upload a .trx image using TFTP, I did not manage to TFTP to the router.

Any directions would be welcome. Am I getting the concept wrong?

Regards,
Torsten

Use the asus firmware restoration utility from the cd to flash the trx image

The discussion might have continued from here.