OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: DHCP IP Range configuration in Luci?

The content of this topic has been archived on 30 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hello, Just switched over to OpenWRT as the final official firmware for my router left a bad memory leak issue. So far, I am really enjoying it, but there is one thing I am curious about.

I have a small range I use for static IPs (192.168.1.160-169), which was never a problem before as previously DHCP had been setup to use 192.168.1.100-150. Now, it seems like DNSMasq assigns freely from 100 to 254, and I am worried about it assigning to one of the static addresses. Is there a way in Luci to adjust the range used, or do I need to do it in the DNSMasq config file? I have no problem doing that, I'd just prefer to do it in Luci for sake of consistancy.

Thanks in advance.

@Hellmark -- in luci: Network -> Interfaces -> LAN/Edit -> General Setup (DHCP Server). Set Limit to 50.

Alternatively, consider moving your static IPs into the 192.168.1.2-99 range.

hnyman wrote:

"150" is not the top of the range, but the size. 100+150=250

With the old firmware, instead of setting a pool size, you stipulated the start and stop of the IP range. So, the old default was 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.150, giving 51 total possible IPs. Most routers I've worked with in the past have been sorta this way. Some even would have it to where you set the range, as well as the pool size (in case you wanted fewer than the range could allow for).

stangri wrote:

@Hellmark -- in luci: Network -> Interfaces -> LAN/Edit -> General Setup (DHCP Server). Set Limit to 50.

Alternatively, consider moving your static IPs into the 192.168.1.2-99 range.

Well, there's at least that, although wouldn't have been what I would have expected due to past experience with other router config tools.

Hellmark wrote:

Well, there's at least that, although wouldn't have been what I would have expected due to past experience with other router config tools.

It's not "at least that", it's precisely what you asked for.

stangri wrote:
Hellmark wrote:

It's not "at least that", it's precisely what you asked for.

It is just for the pool size, which will be useful for me, but doesn't set starting point of the available IP range. Still, can always adjust that manually in DNSMasq's config.

RangerZ wrote:

Actually it does.  Please read the wiki

The wiki gave info on editing the config files. I said earlier I have no issue editing the config files, but was wanting to see how to do it in Luci if possible. That's why the topic was "DHCP IP Range configuration in Luci?", and not just a general "DHCP range Configuration".

You can set the start of pool in Luci too.

Where at? I've not seen anything like that so far, so I must be overlooking it somewhere.

stangri wrote:

You can set the start of pool in Luci too.

Hellmark wrote:

Where at? I've not seen anything like that so far, so I must be overlooking it somewhere.

In the same place that stangri already said earlier: LAN interface's configuration (assuming that you are setting the DHCP pool for the LAN interface)

stangri wrote:

Look to the bottom of the page. The DHCP pool settings and explanations are there.

Start
 Lowest leased address as offset from the network address.

Limit
 Maximum number of leased addresses. 

The discussion might have continued from here.