OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Question about building my own image

The content of this topic has been archived on 15 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

In the ImageBuilderHowto documentation mention that It will not work if i use root account to generate an image ...

What's the symptom if i use root account to build one ??

Bcoz now i finished building one image but once i install it into my wl500g, it will reboot itself after i issue "telnet" command. So, i cannot do anything with it and i have to roll back.

But from this image, i didn't use root account to build it. I use root account to create some custom files but i've already changed its owner and group to nonroot before build the image.

Is it possible to be a root cause of this symptom? or did anyone face this problems before ??

Hi Attojung

Well despite what you say the documentation says; I've build (RC4 and RC5) for WRT54G and successfully ran my images using, interchangeably, root and non-root accounts.
Although we most likely selected, from menuconfig,  different packages which might explain why it worked for me.

The discussion might have continued from here.