OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Midnight Commander doesn't display UTF-8 correctly

The content of this topic has been archived on 29 Mar 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi Everyone,

I installed mc (4.8.14) on CHAOS CALMER (15.05.1, r48532) but the cyrillic alphabet displays incorrectly when I connect via PuTTY. I see *??????_??????????.txt instead of имя_файла.txt.

PuTTY configuration:
Remote character set: UTF-8

When I execute ls command I get correct names:
root@OpenWrt:/mnt/sda1/test# ls
имя_файла.txt

Could you please help me solve the problem?

Post the output of

opkg list-installed kmod-nls*
tmo26 wrote:

Post the output of

opkg list-installed kmod-nls*

root@OpenWrt:~# opkg list-installed kmod-nls*
kmod-nls-base - 3.18.23-1
kmod-nls-cp1251 - 3.18.23-1
kmod-nls-cp866 - 3.18.23-1
kmod-nls-koi8r - 3.18.23-1
kmod-nls-utf8 - 3.18.23-1

As I remember default compilation settings miss many things.
One of them is ability to use Ctrl+O and run commands from MC, another - utf support.
They can be enabled in "make menuconfig".

bolvan wrote:

As I remember default compilation settings miss many things.
One of them is ability to use Ctrl+O and run commands from MC, another - utf support.
They can be enabled in "make menuconfig".

I made a build based on the latest version of OpenWrt (49970) and MC (4.8.18). I enabled 'Compile with full language support' and included kmod-nls-* packages. Now the cyrillic alphabet displays correctly.

Thank you all!

I did the same for the build based on CHAOS CALMER and the issue persists. I tried to build MC (4.8.18-1), libncursesw (5.9-3) (libiconv-full_1.11.1-3) from the latest version of OpenWRT but they could not help me solve the problem. I also tried to replace 'disable-charset' by 'enable-charset' and add 'enable-utf8' in Makefile for MC and again it could not help.
I'm really disappointed about not being able to find out. The latest version of OpenWRT is not stable, for example, I had a problem with wifi.

The discussion might have continued from here.