OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: my selfbuilt image won't boot

The content of this topic has been archived on 22 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

hello world!

i can get the white russian rc5 openwrt-brcm-2.4-jffs2-4MB.trx image to work without problems.
downloaded image from server, uploaded to my router with tftp, waited a few minutes, unpluged power, pluged in power, waited another minute, done. i can reach my router at 192.168.1.1 and it tells me how to mix a white russian.

my joy didn't rise too high when i found out, that this image can't too a lot. the root fs is mounted read only so i can only play around a litte.
in order to really get control over my router i want to build my own image. i got the buildroot-ng, read a few files and articles and got stated. the image builds fine but it simply won't boot. i use the brcm image and i tried a lot of things. i used the jff2-64k, jffs2-128k and squashfs images. always the same result ... which is no result.

i'm pretty lost on all these pages and i couldn't find a thread reporting my problem.
how can i find out what i am doing wrong? where do i start?how can i figure out what i am doing wrong?

i have an asus wl500gp. the list of supported hardware lists this router.

thanks in advance for any help

quinn

If you'd take the time to read the manual, it would tell you that the jffs2 images are read only on the initial boot and require an extra reboot before they're writable, and also that we recommend using the squashfs images instead.

i did read the manual.
the squashfs image doesn't work. only the jffs2-4mb works. the problem why i can't do "another reboot" is that when i reboot, the router goes back to diag mode and awaits a firmware. rebooting is a non trivial problem for me.

ok, fixed the reboot problem. the shell command "reboot" puts it in diag mode. i have to unplug power in order to "reboot". still. that doesn't solve my problem with building my own image.

(Last edited by quinn_eskimo on 15 Aug 2006, 20:49)

while i still can't build my own firmware image i found out that i can build packages quite easily.

my initial idea was  to use what others built before, so i wanted to build a firmware image before i try to build my own packages. i made no progres building a firmware so i just tried building a package. works perfectly.

I have the very same router and the very same problem: flashing the following images works fine:

-rwxr--r--  1 root root 1445888 Aug 22 20:29 freifunk-openwrt-1.2.5-de.trx
-rwxr--r--  1 root root 2162688 Aug 18 18:30 openwrt-brcm-2.4-jffs2-4MB.trx
-rwxr--r--  1 root root 7749632 Aug 18 20:38 wl500gp_1.9.6.2_en.trx

but my own image puts the router in diag mode after powercycle:

-rw-r--r--  1 root root 2297856 Aug 22 23:49 openwrt-brcm-2.4-jffs2-4MB.trx

I'd love to boot my own image. Any ideas?

Same here. Current SVN builds do not reproducible run on my Asus WL-500gP.

must be a bug somewhere i just rebuilt whiterussian rc5 from scratch and it works

I have similar problems with a WRTSL54GS. The images boot properly up to SVN revision 4134, afterwards it is broken.

The discussion might have continued from here.