OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: RFC: Separating WRT support from the special purpose distro

The content of this topic has been archived on 2 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Has any thought been given to separating OpenWRT's device specific support from the package management system/distro?

OpenWRT is a great multi-medium (wired and wireless) router distro that currently exclusively supports Linksys' WRT54G and similar devices.  Why not separate the device dependent support (primarily sspecial kernel compiles AFAIK) from the other infrastructure that is in OpenWRT?

I've got a P233 laptop that I would love to load up with an OpenWRT based distro.

Just a thought.

--adam

It's a nice thought, but not one that's really a high priority.

The main reason is that there are already numerous mini distributions for the pc market.

While there's nothing stopping you from using busybox, dnsmasq or dropbear on your machine I can't see the point in trying to port openwrt. Openwrt was designed specifically to meet the constraints of the WRT54G and later adapted to work on the various "clone" devices; while there really isn't much to openwrt itself, what is there is very specific to the platform.

You may wish to look into the uclibc buildroot tree that openwrt is based on.

The discussion might have continued from here.