OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Cisco Meraki MR33?

The content of this topic has been archived between 13 Apr 2018 and 6 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Cisco in their webinars are handing out these now.

Its a beast of a AP and sadly after the 3 years, seems to be worthless.

The ideal thing is to firmware flash it and keep using it because 802.11ac will take over the next couple of years because 802.11ad still has a bit to go.

So, any support or look into this?

Thank you

I got one as well from webminar as well, hope it can be hacked soon!

ps- i was actually hoping to get an mr18 smile

(Last edited by dlingm on 7 Apr 2017, 21:55)

dlingm wrote:

I got one as well from webminar as well, hope it can be hacked soon!

ps- i was actually hoping to get an mr18 smile

How long did it take to arrive?

They send out the "latest" model. The MR18 only has 802.11n

riahc3 wrote:

How long did it take to arrive?

I did the webinar one day, they called me the next day to ask questions about my use-case, and I received the MR33 the day after that. Can't wait for there to be OpenWRT for it!

I was also sort of hoping to get an MR18, but received an MR33 instead. Still, happy to test it, tear it apart, etc. The SoC hardware is broadly similar to the MR18, so there is hope if the storage can be accessed.

Thanks to a donation I have an MR33 in hand and am working on porting it to LEDE. No ETA and no promises though. smile

If anyone can, riptide_wave can! :-)

You can do it riptide_wave! So excited!

[Also, as a total noobie to the whole "do a seminar and try this baby out" gig, if it takes a year to hack this puppy, I can just switch over to the OpenWRT firmware (presumably) at that time instead of using the cloud-hosted solution, yes?]

thepcpenguin wrote:

You can do it riptide_wave! So excited!

[Also, as a total noobie to the whole "do a seminar and try this baby out" gig, if it takes a year to hack this puppy, I can just switch over to the OpenWRT firmware (presumably) at that time instead of using the cloud-hosted solution, yes?]

Personally I wouldn't. Given the 'cloud' links that Meraki have to the devices, I would be concerned that they undertake some quiet 'patching' of any devices that are discovered to be rootable.

Ongoing work can be found at https://github.com/riptidewave93/LEDE-MR33. I will post in this thread once it's in a more stable state, and will then make flashing information public.

Like always, if you plan on using LEDE on your unit don't let it phone home to Meraki and take updates!

(Last edited by riptide_wave on 14 May 2017, 14:33)

riptide_wave wrote:

Like always, if you plan on using LEDE on your unit don't let it phone home to Meraki and take updates!

I poked around in the GUI of their cloud interface... I can't find where to disable updates. Where is it?? :0

Look here:

hXXps://documentation.meraki.com/zGeneral_Administration/Firmware_Upgrades/Cisco_Meraki_Firmware_FAQ

Looks like you just get a notification that your AP is going to be updated whether you want it or not. There is an option to schedule the update, so you might try setting it to something bogus, like 2037 or whatever.

maciejtarmas wrote:

Look here:

hXXps://documentation.meraki.com/zGeneral_Administration/Firmware_Upgrades/Cisco_Meraki_Firmware_FAQ

Looks like you just get a notification that your AP is going to be updated whether you want it or not. There is an option to schedule the update, so you might try setting it to something bogus, like 2037 or whatever.

Actually, Meraki devices get updates pushed from them directly, so for example if you have a new device on first boot it will take an OTA regardless if you allow it or not through the Cloud UI.

If you want LEDE, my best recommendation is to not use it and leave it disconnected from the internet. It's the only way to ensure no update is taken.

Thepcpenguin was probably asking about a device already enrolled in the Meraki cloud, so this is the way it goes. It tells you that it's going to be updated and either does it on its own or lets you reschedule the update to some time in the future.

Haven't tried the Meraki dashboard yet, but that's what their documentation says.

Interesting that the Merakis update themselves on first boot even without being enrolled. Gotta check that, though you're probably right.

Anyway, thanks for your work Chris. I have a couple of MR18 AP's running LEDE thanks to your work and these things are rock solid.

So how is it going? smile

Do you guys think the MR33 Flash procedure would be the same for the MR34?

I think @riptide_wave is waiting on changes to ipq806x support in OpenWRT, but I could be wrong. I'm happy to help testing as well, if the flashing process is made non-secret smile

Hey @riptide_wave,

are you still working on this project or is it dead?
Is there anything I can do besides working on the firmware itself?

Hello @adriank,

The project is not dead, but I have some other projects that are currently taking priority. Remember I do this for fun, so I work on things as I please. If the port was dead, I would have mentioned it in the repo and this thread. smile

As for things to do, best thing to do is to follow the repo, and sit back and wait. I will post in this thread once the final bugs are ironed out, and the patches are sent upstream for review.

adriank wrote:

Hey @riptide_wave,

are you still working on this project or is it dead?
Is there anything I can do besides working on the firmware itself?

Hey @riptide_wave,

thank you for your answer and your work on this! I'll sit back and wait wink

Best regards

Adrian

riptide_wave wrote:

Hello @adriank,

The project is not dead, but I have some other projects that are currently taking priority. Remember I do this for fun, so I work on things as I please. If the port was dead, I would have mentioned it in the repo and this thread. smile

As for things to do, best thing to do is to follow the repo, and sit back and wait. I will post in this thread once the final bugs are ironed out, and the patches are sent upstream for review.

@riptide_wave

Thanks a lot for still working on this project.

Feels great that one day that MX33 is going to be freed and used. Until then, its in its box waiting.

Likewise, @riptide_wave's work is hugely appreciated. My MR33 is similarly waiting in its box, unopened :-)

In the meantime, I bought a MR18 off of Ebay minus a power supply, and used the MR33 PSU. I don't have any GigE PoE injectors.

Another MR18 freeeeee'd :-)

Very glad this is still being worked on smile Here I type, watching my Meraki crying to get out of his box.