OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: OpenWRT x86 on Intel Compute Stick

The content of this topic has been archived on 5 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hello! Does anyone know if it's possible to flash Intel Compute Stick with OpenWRT? And if it's so how should i do it?

Intel Compute Stick supports only EFI booting, so I tried the instruction for "Minnowboard Max" flashing (from OpenWRT website) and it didn't help. After flashing Intel Compute Stick with help of this instruction it doesn't responding on any command and screen becomes frozen on the last picture (but after turning it off I can boot from live usb with Ubuntu). I think that control flow is passing to the OpenWRT vmlinuz and then something goes wrong

(Last edited by anton_13 on 30 Sep 2017, 14:15)

At the moment OpenWrt/ LEDE do not support UEFI, it's an open issue without special priority.

At the moment OpenWrt/ LEDE do not support UEFI, it's an open issue without special priority.

Hello! Thanks for your reply.
In "Minnowboard Max" flashing instruction (from official OpenWRT wiki) is written that we can build kernel with EFI stub booting support. Minnowboard Max is device which supports only EFI booting too. Because of it I decided that it is possible to adapt this instruction for me. But something goes bad.
I did this things:
1) I built the kernel with special options: Symmetric Multi Processing support, EFI runtime service support, EFI stub support and EFI Variable Support via sysfs.
2) Made a GPT partition table.
3) Made a EFI (with fat32 file system) and the main partition (with EXT4 file system).
4) Copied vmlinuz to /EFI/BOOT/bootx64.efi.
5) Unpacked openwrt-x86-64-generic-rootfs.tar.gz to main partition.
6) Saved "fs0:\EFI\BOOT\bootx64.efi root=/dev/sda2 rootfstype=ext4 rootwait console=tty0 console=ttyS0,115200n8 noinitrd" script to startup.nsh.
What am I doing wrong?

(Last edited by anton_13 on 2 Oct 2017, 11:08)

Hello, we have made to boot OpenWRT on Intel Stick with Atom x5 but we able to boot from USB Flash Drive via Build-in EFI shell command line. But after it booted - it only sees sda and no eMMC - we are trying to solve this issue now.

@anton_13 It's 2018 now and may be have made it work?

kbushminkin, no

What error you get?

kisilams wrote:

What error you get?

There is no "error", but after boot into OpenWRT I didn't see internal eMMC flash. I'm suspecting that problem in some bus driver driver specific  for Cherry Trail processor(may be APIC as on Ubuntu as I understand it appears after enumerating APIC). I have tried several option but still can't get it work

Ubuntu see the eMMC?

I have also created separate post with some logs forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=73110
P.S. Cant post links sad

kisilams wrote:

Ubuntu see the eMMC?

Ubuntu does see it. Here udevadm output pastebin.com/6qANWvfe from Ubuntu for node /dev/mmcblk0

Solved. The required kernel build options was: CONFIG_MMC_SDHCI_ACPI and CONFIG_X86_INTEL_LPSS
BUT, to build them into kernel it was required to add them into target/linux/x86/64/config-default file so it won't be overwritten by other kernel .config files (there are several of them)

The discussion might have continued from here.