OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: which RS232 adapter I need?

The content of this topic has been archived on 30 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hello, I have one bricked D-link dir600 B5 router...  so I need to conect to serial port

and the question is, which RS232 adapter I need? on OpenWRT wiki is just writen that I need:
3.3V TTL Levels - 57600 Baud

Can I use just simple RS232 to USB adapter like this Axagon ADS-50 USB /I cant post link...P
Or I need special TTL adapter from ebay?

Thanks for your answers

Serial is not RS232. The RS232 standard also specifies voltage levels.

You need (exactly as specified 3.3V TTL serial). Something like this.

thanks

finaly I did it via Arduino

Hi, I have a similar problem.
I've managed to brick a DIR-810L, and thought of trying to salvage it just for fun.
I got one of Pl2303ta  (sorry, won't let me insert a link)
It says 3.3v, but having read the Mijzelf's response I've realised that I may have done wrong. When I connect it I get nothing out.
Could you please tell me whether I need to get that other thing from the post number 2.
Thanks, Srdjan

PL2303ta has a 5V to 3.3V regulator. What this means is that it can take the operating voltage that it requires directly from the USB. The chip does not have a four-wire UART output (Vcc, TX, RX, GND) which is what you need when talking to routers through the serial interface.

So, it will not do the trick. Get one of the devices recommended by Mijzelf.

Ok, I will, thanks. I'm still a bit confused, because the adapter has exactly those four wires coming out - Vcc, TX, RX, GND (Vcc hanging lose in my case)

When you get no output, you may try to switch RX and TX.
Also, what software are you using and what settings?

Hi tunk, thanks for that. swapping Rx and Tx did the trick.  minicom I could not set to 57k6, but cutecom @57k6 8N1 works fine.
Now I need to figure out what is wrong, but that is for another thread I guess. Thanks again.

The discussion might have continued from here.