OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: New platform - NSLU2 ?

The content of this topic has been archived on 20 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Could Openwrt be ported to the NSLU2?

Thanks!

Sure it could.  NSLU2 runs an IXP 42x processor like several other devices that are being worked on.  Personally I don't think it makes much sense to port OpenWRT as the NSLU2 only has one network interface and there are several popular existing projects (Unslung, OpenSlug, and Debian Slug for example)
These projects will probably provide all the functionality you would need, but the NSLU2's routing potential is limited to the single ethernet port and USB ethernet/wlan dongles, which doesn't make it an ideal platform for openWRT in my opinion.

The NSLU2 already has lots of very functional alternative firmwares. No need to compete.

I was thinking about having to learn only one platform.

Openwrt is very modular, and one can use it to turn a router into a network attached storage and vice versa.

The idea was just to try and make my setup simpler and install only one cross-compile environment to use on both devices. Also, I am much more familiar now with openwrt then I am with Unslung or Openslug.

Also, for star882 I would suggest compiling just once your own firmware in openembedded. You will understand stanelie after that for sure tongue

stanelie: patches are welcome to support the NSLU2

stanelie wrote:

Openwrt is very modular, and one can use it to turn a router into a network attached storage and vice versa.

Speaking about NAS, if you take a look at a U.S. Robotics USR5461 USB Printer Server / Router, it too should be able to run openwrt firmware and can be easily turned into a NAS, as well as to support some other applications, i.e. Fobbit phonebook client/server/driver for a long discontinued CreativeLabs VoIPBlaster (VB) devices, USB phones, etc. The best part is, every now-and-then CompUSA will have this router onsale for as little as $9.99 (ARs). The only caveat is we need to squeeze its firmware to within 2MB. I recently posted this article looking for some helps trying to idenfity which scripts on openwrt package are responsible to generate each firmware packages. This way, I was hoping to be able to add additional scripts, obtained from the GPLed firmware source (please don't click unless you want to download the 57MB firmware source) of USR5461, to generate the proper openwrt firmware for this router. As you can see, no one seemed to have responded to my post. I am hoping some of you may be able to provide some helps here to get me started.

mazilo wrote:

Speaking about NAS.............

Please don't hijack threads that really have nothing to do with what you are talking about.
Also, information on where to find documentation of the Buildroot environment can be found in the OpenWRT FAQ.

Mind you this is an open forum and everyone is welcome to voice his/her opinions. I never have such an intention of hi-jacking any thread. The OP did mention NAS and I Just jumped in to voice my concerns with other router. How knows we can kill two birds with a single stone and what's wrong with it. I haven't violate any OpenWRT forum rules and regulations here. If you don't like it, you certainly are welcome to pack/leave; however, making such an accusation is certainly not welcome and it violates the open-forum rule here!

BTW, thank you for pointing out the FAQ.

(Last edited by mazilo on 14 Sep 2006, 19:14)

The discussion might have continued from here.