OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Newer package not listed after opkg update

The content of this topic has been archived on 27 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hello,

I'm trying to install ser2net 3.5 in my GL-iNet AR150, (ar7xx, with Chaos Calmer) but after

opkg update

I only get listed ser2net 2.10. I found that this package (v3.5) exists for this arquitecture:

htt_ps://archive.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/ar71xx/generic/packages/packages/ser2net_3.5-1_ar71xx.ipk (please note that the "_" is written intentionally as I have no links allowed yet in my posts)

but even if I add this to /etc/opkg.conf file, it doesn't gets listed after

opkg update
opkg list

Neither is working when I do

opkg install htt_ps://archive.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/ar71xx/generic/packages/packages/ser2net_3.5-1_ar71xx.ipk

as I get the error

Collected errors:
 * wfopen: htt_ps://archive.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/ar71xx/generic/packages/packages/ser2net_3.5-1_ar71xx.ipk: No such file or directory.
 * pkg_init_from_file: Failed to extract control file from htt_ps://archive.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/ar71xx/generic/packages/packages/ser2net_3.5-1_ar71xx.ipk.

I'm not really sure what I'm missing, why the version 3.5 is not listed as available package and why I cannot manually install it. Might you help me?

Many thanks in advance

First you should upgrade from CC to the latest release-- 17.01.4.  Possibly the package you want is in there.

Packages in the release repositories are very rarely upgraded to new versions except sometimes when a serious security issue exists.  Generally you would be upgrading the whole OS rather than one package.

To download a file direct to the router you have to use http download because the default wget does not support SSL.  The OpenWrt server does support both, but URLs in the list are https assuming you will download with a full browser.

Once you have the .ipk in /tmp, opkg can force-install it and it will probably work because ser2net is a relatively simple userspace program.  In some cases you will have to upgrade the whole OS to run newer builds.  Certainly any kmod cannot be used on an old kernel.

(Last edited by mk24 on 9 Mar 2018, 15:58)

The discussion might have continued from here.