I have a Linksys WRT1900ACS that I installed with the latest official OpenWrt release (that is, the *-factory.img file linked at openwrt.org/toh/views/toh_fwdownload). I used the same SSID and wifi key and just dropped it in place of my current router. Everything came up just fine - my computers, phone, etc all connected to wifi, my google homes did, my chromecast did. I can ssh to my server just fine, I can reach websites. I made no changes to the default preloaded settings except to change the wifi SSID and WPA2 key and turn on the radios.

However, the one thing that did not work was my chromecast. While I did verify that it is in fact connected to my network, it is not discoverable by my phone or computer - I can't cast to it. My phone (and computer) just tries to connect for a few seconds and tells me "unable to connect."

I thought maybe the firewall was blocking it so I tested by killing the firewall (ssh to the router, service firewall stop). Tried connecting again, and no change.

This is a critical function for me so in the meantime I put my previous router back on my cable modem, and everything went right back to normal with chromecast functioning as expected.

I assume this is a routing problem having to do with device discovery, but I don't really know where to begin addressing this.

(Last edited by woof on 22 Mar 2018, 13:54)