OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: miniPCI Express LTE module suggestion

The content of this topic has been archived on 19 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hello,

I'm using a openwrt/lede 17.01.4 stable release on a mt7620 based router.
I would like to know if there is a miniPCI Express LTE module that runs on this stable.
I manage to run the Quectel EC25 module on a snapshot kernel 4.9 release, but I need a 4G/LTE module that works on the stable one.
Can you suggest me one?

Thank you!

Im wondering, as the EC25 should be capable of LTE . I tried it, but only succeeded using serial driver.
So I switched back to Huawei ME909u-521 (both US and EU version). Running on MT7620A-router, in serial mode, too, up to about 20MBit/s . Which is good enough for our purpose.

So you are not running Huawei ME909u-521 on LTE? Do you see it on /dev/cdc-wdm0?

In case you need, we are running Huawei 709S-2 on the stable release with no problem in HSPA+ mode at almost 20MBit/s, just following instruction here for 3gdongle on openwrt wiki. Also I was able to run the EC25 at almost 60MBit/s using a kernel 4.9 based firmware (following ltedongle openwrt wiki), but on that kernel there are modules like mwan that is diffucult to install.

augustus_meyer wrote:

Im wondering, as the EC25 should be capable of LTE

Yep, no problem with ec25 on current lede 17.01-snapshot. Just use qmi as proto, /dev/cdc-wdm0 as device and option autoconnect 0.

sb.davidegironi wrote:

So you are not running Huawei ME909u-521 on LTE? Do you see it on /dev/cdc-wdm0?

No, running in LTE, but using serial driver. As (unfortunately) we still need to use quite old SDK from manufacturer, because board not officially supported (yet). Which results in about 20MBit/s, which _theoretically_ _might_ be exceeded, as mobile operator promises up to about 40MBit/s to be achievable with better driver.
But we are happy with the 20MBit/s.
Because of supposed to have better driver support, I tried the EC25 as an alternative, but got only serial driver running with same results, too, so we did not switch. Could not succeed to get a backported wdm-driver to run on our old stuff.

The discussion might have continued from here.