OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: QoS on cheap routers

The content of this topic has been archived on 29 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hello all.

I want to reduce or eliminate lag when gaming thru QoS. My internet speed is 3Mbps down / 1Mbps up and the game uses no more than 100Kbps down and 50Kbps up. I'm considering getting a cheap router - something like the TL-WR841ND - and install openwrt on it. Will this kind of setup be of any good?

Have a look on whirlpool modem forums. RevsPerMin is very knowledgeable.

QoS needs a relatively fast router to keep up with your line speed. Unless your WAN speed is very low, you will require something significantly faster than the tl-wr841.

slh wrote:

QoS needs a relatively fast router to keep up with your line speed. Unless your WAN speed is very low, you will require something significantly faster than the tl-wr841.

My WAN speed is indeed very slow at 3Mb/1Mb so I'm guessing it should be work. Does running sqm instead require faster hardware or not?

Ram maybe the issue. Might install without luci.....

It will work for you bro, I was running a firmware on my TP-LINK 940N V4 (Same RAM and Flash as 841N) with SQM-Scripts (extra scripts included), LUCI and uPnP without any problem, it was working perfect. I just recommend to compile yourself a image via image builder, because on a trunk image for a tiny flash router it's so hard to download additional packages.

The discussion might have continued from here.