Hi

First here is my setup:

- Openwrt running on a VM under Proxmox VE (x86-64)
- 6 interfaces
  - WAN (ipv4)
  - WAN6 (ipv6)
  - LAN
  - TOR (self explanatory)
  - REVERSE_PROXY (self explanatory: I self host for HTTP(S)
  - LTE (backup connectivity with a USB LTE box)

Some port forwarding rules, some firewall rules to allow only some MAC addresses to access to internet, some iptables rules to redirect HTTP requests to my self hosts websites to the reverse proxy IP (my ISP box offers a service with bugs me). I may describe them deeper if needed, but I'm certain they are not related to my issue.

A few months ago, while doing a administrative task, I noticed I did not had DNS resolution. I ended up editing /etc/resolf.conf for fonvenience. Openwrt was version 15.

This week I updated to OpenWRT 17 by backing up all my settings from Luci, replacing the disk image of my VM with the latest version, then restoring my settings.

I decided to search about this DNS problem because it still exists. I found that nothing is listening to port 53:

cat /etc/resolv.conf
search lan
nameserver 127.0.0.1

netstat shows there is nothing listening port 53 (could not show the output as the forum interprets its content with links)

# ps | grep dnsmasq
 9705 root      3060 R    grep dnsmasq

Why is dnsmasq not running ? I don't even remember about a setting to disable it ! Note my Openwrt instance runs for years now. May I forgot something.

Any clue to make it run again, to use settings provided by DHCP on my WAN interface ?

(Last edited by detheeek on 3 Apr 2018, 06:59)