OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: 2.6.16.x in Kamikaze? We had 2.6.17 already

The content of this topic has been archived on 31 Mar 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I noticed we have 2.6.16.7 kernel in the latest release of kamikaze (5202, kamikaze-brng).

I thought we had 2.6.17 already (or was it in buildroot-ng, which I can't find anymore)?

Hehe, you're probably talking about kamikaze-before-brng, which is exactly that: Kamikaze *before* br-ng smile

svn trunk:

Changeset 4114
Timestamp:
    07/03/06 08:33:55
Author:
    nico
    fix x86-2.6, update kernel config for 2.6.17.

mangoo: what nbd is saying is that you missed the transition:

Changeset 5059

Timestamp:
    10/13/06 22:51:49
Author:
    nbd
    finally move buildroot-ng to trunk
Files:

*          branches/buildroot-ng (deleted)
        *          trunk (copied) (copied from branches/buildroot-ng/openwrt)

Thanks, nbd!

Here are some of my efforts to port 2.6.18.1 to kamikaze brcm-2.6 ... devfs is gone along with some other changes make it quite a challenge ...

acoul wrote:

Here are some of my efforts to port 2.6.18.1 to kamikaze brcm-2.6 ... devfs is gone along with some other changes make it quite a challenge ...

I don't have much experience with openwrt, how can I use these patches?

I have checkouted trunk and I have your tarball, what sould I do then in order to use 2.6.18?

actually this work is unfinished.  it's a step at the direction of porting a 2.6.18 for the kamikaze but it needs some more work.  If you don't know what to do with the patches then just don't bother, at least not yet.  I also have some work I did on porting a 2.6.16.29 kernel for the kamikaze.  If I find the time and have some good results I'll put them online.  BTW, this work is for the brcm series only.

Hi!

Few weeks ago I spend some time porting/patching kamikaze to 2.6.18. I fixed all the patches to get a clean compile - yes, I re-introduced the devfs...
anyway, my target was the brcm platform and I have a clear compile process, but... it won't boot. I suppose the problem is somewhere around the timer in "platform initialization"...
But then, other more important things popped up so the "adaptation" was "stalled"...
As "suggested" by Kaloz (http://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?pid=34567#p34567) I tried to first "make it work" and then post anything...

What is your status? All working/booting??

Regarding devfs... would it be better to switch to udev? To be honest, I think it's a "overhead not really needed" for such embedded devices anyway, so even a "plain old" mkdevnod would be enough for me... any thoughts?

Regards,
MCulibrk

the status of the above patches is that I don't get a clean compile yet.  should not be much work though.  I tryed not to exclude almost anything from the previous patchset.  According to Alan Cox there was never a devfs  ... http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/8/1/221

2.6.19 is in current svn

Does it build and run properly? smile

mangoo wrote:

Does it build and run properly? smile

Would there be (almost) stable snapshots any time smile?
at least generic, brcm and wrt54g ?
ones that boot at least, so we (newbies) could post you dmesg-s etc...?

My hope whas with the open-source driver for broadcom (43xx) in the 2.6 series...

The discussion might have continued from here.