OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Bandwith on ethernet ports (auto MiD/X

The content of this topic has been archived on 26 Mar 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi !
I have a genaral question.
i tested many firwares (hyperwrt/openwrt/sveasoft and the original) but on all i have the sam problem:
when i connect ethernet card of my computer (linux with a 4 port D-Link ethernet) i have to place a hub between ethernet-card and wrt. And when for e.g. sveasoft (newest) the interface run directly but only with 10 MBit. When i connect the WRT 54G (v 1.1) direct to my switch (not intended) it runs with 100 MBit.
can anyboedy explain me that behaviour ? it's planned to run the system like this:
local ethernet <=eth0 Linux PC eth1 => ethernetwrt54g ethernet => allnet bridge to my neigbour
and using Wlan of wrt54g as w-lan for local users
And then 10MBit to my PC is a little bit too less, esp. because Wlan to my neighbour (running without WRT54G) has at the moment a bandwith of 13-15 Mbit :-)
any conclusions ?
Ciao

when i connect ethernet card of my computer (linux with a 4 port D-Link ethernet) i have to place a hub between ethernet-card and wrt.

Would be nice to know what happens, if you connect it without the hub. Do you see the link LEDs on your PC and the WRT light?

The inability to communicate might have different reasons:
- unsuitable cabling (use a fabric-new cat5 patch cord to test against this)
- problems with AutoSense (set your NIC to 100 Mbps full duplex instead of autosense to test)

Link LED on linksys is lighting (and blinking on traffic e.g. when i ping on linux host 192.168.1.1 [host address is 192.168.1.2])
link LED on linux not checked yet (i'll check it at home)
about cables => i tested about 20 different (working ones in the network)
about autosensing function => i'm not that linux crack => still searching for solution in SuSe Linux 9.2

Ciao Gerd

You can use the mii-diag utility in order to set the negociation for your card :

mii-diag -h
[...]
-F  --fixed-speed <speed>
        Speed is one of: 100baseT4, 100baseTx, 100baseTx-FD, 100baseTx-HD,
                         10baseT, 10baseT-FD, 10baseT-HD

So I think your problem can be solved using this tool.

It can be found as "mii-diag" or "nictools-pci" package for some distributions.

:-( found the tool but not a solution
capricorn:/home/gerd # mii-diag eth2
Basic registers of MII PHY #1:  3100 786d 2000 5c10 01e1 45e1 0007 2801.
The autonegotiated capability is 01e0.
The autonegotiated media type is 100baseTx-FD.
Basic mode control register 0x3100: Auto-negotiation enabled.
You have link beat, and everything is working OK.
(wrong i can't even ping the Ap neither connect via http)
Your link partner advertised 45e1: Flow-control 100baseTx-FD 100baseTx 10baseT-FD 10baseT, w/ 802.3X flow control.
   End of basic transceiver information.
this is result of autonegotiation, i set to any mode (disabled autoneg.) but it's working only with 10 MBit mode.
When i'm in the modd (that means i have a time) i'll try with another NIC (whta i read about D-LINK AP's makes me thinking that the dlink nic is also a piece of crap :-(
btw: i tried with my allnet 275+ and it's working (autogeotiation etc.pp.) also i tried the "game above" with all 4 ports of the nic => the result is the same.

sad

Ciao Gerd

add: on my switch (no autosensing) the WRT54G is working with 100 Mbit.
the NIC in PC is a D-Link DFE 570 TX/4 Port Ethernet PCI.
on port 1 (eth0) same switch => OK
on port 2 (eth1) ALLnet 275+ with c/o cable => 100 Mbit FD (with autosense)
on port 3 (eth2) linksys wrt54g not working (also not on the other ports :-)
BTW: How i can find actual settings of eth of the linksys ?

Ciao Gerd

:-) funny 2nd reply to myself :-)
but i tried with an 3com card and after 10 min. configuring the stuff it worked (it still does not work with the above named D-Link card.
But anyway... i'm still interested about the resason of the problem (with original Linksys Fw it also does not work)
Linksys (hardware or software) D-Link (hw-and software)
???

Ciao Gerd

i have to place a hub between ethernet-card and wrt.

ethcard <-> ethcard = twisted wire
hub <-> ethcard = straight wire

might have something todo with it so try another cable?

/S.D

no, the cable is ok (regardless using regular or crossover)
with mii-diag on my linux pc i set it to all possible values (fixed speed) and the only which was workung was 10 Mbit FD.
Now i installed mii-diag on my WRT, but i have no idea to use ist
i get only error messages (i tried vlan0, br0, et0 eth0 etc.pp. without success)
or do i have to use admcfg ?

Ciao Gerd

Hi Gerd,

could you please tell me where to find the mii-diag tool for openwrt? I'm facing the same problems and need to configure the port speed manually... Is there a package somewhere?

Thanks,
BratMaxxe

Hmmm this posting was nearly one year old :-)
afair i found it in Nico's package tracker....

Ciao Gerd

The discussion might have continued from here.