OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: WGT634U USB problems.

The content of this topic has been archived on 3 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi all,

I spent some time over the weekend and managed to get OpenWRT working on my WGT634U. It 'almost' does everything I need now (basically I want a way of backing up over the LAN, and streaming music to a Netgear MP101).

The only outstanding issue I have is with the USB. It recogises the two disks fine, but I cannot mount them for some reason. The two discs are both  Maxtor Onetouch USB if that helps, one is 180Gb, the other 320Gb, both formatted FAT32).

I've listed what I am attempting to do below. First 'ls' on the drive to show the partitions, then try to mount to the /mnt directory (which does exist). I suspect that I am either using the wrong mount command, or I am missing a file system of some sort.

I am still very much a Linux newbie, so be gentle.

All the best, and thanks in advance for any advice.

Tony.

root@OpenWrt:/dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target0/lun0# ls
disc   part2  part5

root@OpenWrt:/dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target0/lun0# mount /dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target0/lun0/part2 /mnt

attempt to access beyond end of device
sda2: rw=0, want=66, limit=2
isofs_fill_super: bread failed, dev=sda2, iso_blknum=16, block=32
sda2: rw=0, want=68, limit=2
sda2: rw=0, want=1252, limit=2
sda2: rw=0, want=1028, limit=2
UDF-fs: No partition found (1)
sda2: rw=0, want=8, limit=2
XFS: SB read failed
mount: Mounting /dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target0/lun0/part2 on /mnt failed: Input/output error
root@OpenWrt:/dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target0/lun0#

part2 and part5 looks strange.
Can you repartition and format the drive on the router (with fdisk and mkfs.xxxx)?
I'd use ext3 not FAT32, if it's connected to the router only...

Thanks for the fast reply.

I was using FAT32 when I had the original Netgear firmware on the WGT634U. Ideally I would like to keep FAT32 as then I can just plug them into the machines should I need to restore from a backup.

When I try running fdisk, I get the following.

root@OpenWrt:/dev/discs# fdisk /dev/discs/disc1
You will not be able to write the partition table.

Unable to read /dev/discs/disc1

Any ideas?

You have to run "fdisk /dev/discs/disc1/disc" to edit partitions or "fdisk -l /dev/discs/disc1/disc" to list partitions only.

It's devfs, so the disks will show up as /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc and such. There's a hotplug script in kamikaze that generates /dev/sda* symlinks so you don't have to deal with the absurdly long devfs names.

So, "fdisk /dev/sda" and "mount /dev/sda1 /mnt"

Thanks again for the replies.

I'm getting closer I think.

I've been trying with a smaller HDD (NTFS formatted), and got the output below. Still an error when trying to mount though.

Am I missing something else out here?

All the best,

Tony.

Disk /dev/discs/disc0/disc: 13.6 GB, 13601193984 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 1653 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/discs/disc0/part1   *           1        1653    13277691    7  HPFS/NTFS

Command (m for help): q

root@OpenWrt:/dev/discs# mount /dev/discs/disc0/part1 /mnt
mount: Mounting /dev/discs/disc0/part1 on /mnt failed: Invalid argument

Your disk appears to be formatted as NTFS and not FAT32.

Options are either attempting to get the latest NTFS drivers working under OpenWrt so you can have a writable NTFS partition, or reformatting the disk with another filesystem.

Hi,

Yes, this new disk is NTFS.

I've had a little success, I've got a USB stick to mount ok.

Any ideas on how to get the FAT32 partition working?

All the best,

Tony.

Even more progress.

I can now mount a USB stick, plus the 13Gb drive when it is formatted FAT32.

But the two large drives (180Gb and 320Gb) still fail to mount. The error I get is below.

Any ideas on this one? Is there a limit to partition size that the vfat filesystem can manage (I am assuming it is the vfat filesystem it is using, I have the msdos filesystem loaded as well).

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Tony.

root@OpenWrt:/mnt/1# mount /dev/discs/disc2/part2 /mnt/2
mount: Mounting /dev/discs/disc2/part2 on /mnt/1 failed: Input/output error

I have a wgt634u with kamikaze as well.  However, kamikaze seems to automount (with hotplug I'm guessing?) my two usb drives (connected through a hub) to /tmp/sda1 and /tmp/sdb1.  Actually, the NTFS drive (sda1) gives the "invalid argument" error but it makes the directory in tmp automatically.  The other drive, which is ext3 works fine automatically.  I have all of the filesystem modules installed that I need except for NTFS, plus the following USB module packages:
kmod-usb-core
kmod-usb-ohci
kmod-usb-storage
kmod-usb2

Check to make sure that the drives aren't mounted already.  Or at least try mounting from /dev/sda1
It might also be a good idea to try using the 2.6 kernel instead of 2.4
Check to make

The discussion might have continued from here.