OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: help requested with /etc/config/network

The content of this topic has been archived on 27 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

hello, I am trying to understand how to add entries into /etc/config/network but I am running into difficulties reverse engineering the scripts that use this.  I have read through a partial document http://f.fainelli.free.fr/openwrt/openwrt.pdf that i found on google that proved to be helpful but I still dont think I am getting it right.  From my understanding of the document, the special handlers in /lib/network/pptp.sh are triggered from the option proto being something other than 'none, static, dhcp'. If this is not correct what option needs to be set so that the core scripts call the scan_pptp() and setup_interface_pptp() functions?

I am attempting to setup an interface so that the pptp.sh script in /lib/network/ can correctly process.

here is the entry I am trying

config interface pptp
        option proto    pptp
        option ifname   ppp0
        option username someuser
        option password somepass
        option server   111.222.333.444

Also is there a command  or a way to bring this up without a restart of the platform? Right now I am restarting the device and using logread to try and find any indication that its even parsing this data correctly.

For the ifname do not use ppp0, it figures out the ppp interface automatically. Use vlan1 or whatever your device uses...

I have a problem with pptp too, I want to use it for WAN access (ADSL in Austria).

My configuration (with r6447):

config interface        wan
        option ifname   "eth0.1"
        option hostname 'wgt634u'
       option  proto   pptp
       option  username        "test"
       option  password        "password"
       option  server          62.178.nnn.nnn

Anything wrong with it?
When I boot the router, it generates endless ppp... processes, it's impossible the login via ssh from the LAN side, only killing processes via serial console helps.

The discussion might have continued from here.