OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: reflashing a RC5 router with kamikaze

The content of this topic has been archived on 28 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

How do I go about reflashing a RC5 router with kamikaze?

From what I understand, kamikaze no longer uses the nvram vars to store stuff like ip addreses.  So when I reflash the router, assuming that my images built correctly, how do I get in touch with it once it reboots?

Thanks,

--Yan

Well, in an attempt to answer my own question, I tried to compile the ext2 image, the idea being that I could mount it on a loopback and look at it.  Alas, I am getting this with a file system size of  6 MB:

/home/local/kamikaze/trunk/staging_dir_mipsel/bin/trx -o /home/local/kamikaze/trunk/bin/openwrt-brcm-2.4-ext2.trx -f /home/local/kamikaze/trunk/build_mipsel/linux-2.4-brcm/loader.gz -f /home/local/kamikaze/trunk/build_mipsel/linux-2.4-brcm/vmlinux.lzma  -f /home/local/kamikaze/trunk/build_mipsel/linux-2.4-brcm/root.ext2
mjn3's trx replacement - v0.81.1
fread failure or file "/home/local/kamikaze/trunk/build_mipsel/linux-2.4-brcm/root.ext2" too large
make[3]: *** [install] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/local/kamikaze/trunk/target/linux/brcm-2.6/image'
make[2]: *** [image_install] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/local/kamikaze/trunk/target'
make[1]: *** [target/install] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/local/kamikaze/trunk'
make: *** [world] Error 2

If I reduce the file system size to 4MB the build fails because it doesn't have enough space....

--Yan

cptdondo wrote:

From what I understand, kamikaze no longer uses the nvram vars to store stuff like ip addreses.  So when I reflash the router, assuming that my images built correctly, how do I get in touch with it once it reboots?

In my case (brcm target) it boots with 192.168.1.1, you can later change it in /etc/config/network if I recall correctly.

The discussion might have continued from here.